Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #93753  by Mr.Skellington

Suicide prevention is just one seemingly benevolent angle of the attack on rights. I’ve seen the absurd lengths which can be taken. Here’s a good illustration of what I’m trying to warn you about.

You have a patient who has had surgery and is in pain. This patient makes the comment “My leg hurts so bad if I had a gun I’d end it all right now”.

This patient has given no prior reason in which to believe he is a threat to himself or others. He made his comment in a poor attempt to be humorous about how bad his pain level is. After you do your due diligence of asking if he is thinking about harming himself, if he has a plan to harm himself etc… you have ruled out suicide as a risk and take steps for a Dr to look into adjusting the strength of the pain relief meds. Its clear that his goal isn't to harm himself but rather express how bad his pain level is!

Yet the next day its noted in change of shift report that this patient had made a similar comment to another nurse who took great lengths to CYA and now this person is being watched for suicide prevention.

This is just one of numerous first hand accounts and its not even as bad as it can get. This does show just how CYA oriented some healthcare workers can be. So again do you trust someone who’s livelihood and means to provide for their family is between you and your rights?

Now consider that same scenario but with HB88 in effect. The evidence against that patient would be the statement he made and all documentation including if the patient was placed on 1 to1 suicide watch or safety checks every hour (happens much more frequent than you know). Already the stack of paperwork against you is pretty big over nothing. And what is your defense as the patient? That you were joking? Yeah sure that’ll trump the ‘evidence’ against you.

Now add in temporary conditions like postpartum depression, PTSD and others and you have grounds to clear entire homes of their 2A rights. After that good luck getting your now logged firearms and ammo back. Not only is this a bad proposal on its face value but the impact it will have on steering people who could use help away is incalculable.
 #93754  by stephpd

Same thing for the kid in the playground being constantly bullied. One wrong statement to the guidance councilor and the whole family gets a red check next to their name and banned for life from ever owning a firearm. It's not like we haven't seen multiple examples of zero tolerance being abused when someone points a finger or pop tart and says bang.

It's like the folks wanting to compromise away our rights haven't been paying attention to what's going on around them. And think another law and more restrictions on our rights will somehow fix anything.

For me and many others the line in the sand has already been drawn and we will not accept any more compromises on our rights. It's about time the other side started compromising and we start getting some of these ill conceived laws removed. Now that's compromise I could stand behind.
 #93757  by Owen

stephpd wrote:For me and many others the line in the sand has already been drawn and we will not accept any more compromises on our rights. It's about time the other side started compromising and we start getting some of these ill conceived laws removed. Now that's compromise I could stand behind.
+1 :applause:

Stupid laws spend too much time on "what if" instead of consequences for an action. All we need to do is enforce the laws with consequences for actions and we'd have a safer society. Think of how much policing time is wasted on seat belt laws, speeding tickets, etc. How can a speed trap be needed ever when there are murders and robberies to investigate.