Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #96978  by Cbmarine

This may be plowing old ground but, IMO, here is an excellent article for understanding and dealing with the anti-gun mindset. Hopefully this will be a productive discussion and education thread.
http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ragingagain ... efense.htm

Raging Against Self Defense:
A psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality
By Sarah Thompson, M.D.
Permission is granted to distribute this article in its entirety, so long as full copyright information
and full contact information is given for JPFO. Copyright © 2000 Sarah Thompson, MD

Here's a summary of the first section.
The anti-gunners used three defense mechanisms which distort reality. (They reason that the 2A crowd is more prone to violence rather than understanding Heinlein's polite armed society. )
- Projection: they take their feelings and say that you feel that way not them. "You are a bunch of haters" because you disagree with them but you are sensing their hatred. "The US House of Representatives is obstructionist; they won't compromise!" Look who's talking.

-Denial: everything is hunkydory. nothing bad will happen. the police will protect me.

-Reaction Formation: where undesirableable thoughts are expressed as the complete opposite: a child who hates a sibling will exhibit extreme love and devotion. Their superior intellect reasons that you don't need to protect yourself so you don't need a gun. In the extreme, "you kill animals so it is alright for me to kill you".

Here's a summary of a later section of Raging Against Self Defense

Communicating with anti-gun people
- Anger and attacks don't work
- Be gentle
- The Mirror Technique: "So you fear if your neighbors had guns, they would use them to murder you. What makes you think that?"
- "What would you do" Technique:
- "You are there" Technique: present a scenario, i.e., wife getting raped. Wait for the cops?
- The power of empathy
- Corrective Experiences
-- To provide a corrective experience, you first allow the person to attempt to project his incorrect ideas onto you. Then, you demonstrate that he is wrong by your behavior, not by arguing.
- First hand experience: take them to the range
 #97005  by Surface Dragon

Yes,

The debate for firearms becomes even more dificult when religious beliefs are involved.

My mother has told me that she actually has "the power of god protecting her" and that since god is on her side and does not need a gun because she has the power of prayer.

How naive is that?

I believe we live in the world where any number of things can and do happen all the time.

You don't need to displace your faith in god to have more faith in yourself and your abilities.