Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #100498  by pick_six

Yes, I am aware of that. And my question is, how many time has the newspaper posted portion of the application resulted in a rejection?

Id suspect that most rejections are a result of the other portions of the application. Nics, primarily.

But while I don't have stats, I wonder if the issuing folks do. And what percent were rejected because, solely because, someone saw it in the newspaper. ?

Added: so, if a guy like the one littlephilly describes, a general anti, reads the paper and object, TO EVERYONE, would that be grounds for denial? Or would it require that the person objectING have knowledge of a specific ACTION of the applicant and evidence of good reason for denial.

And what would be good grounds for denial. He is my NEIGHBOR and I don't like him cause he doesn't have a nice house like me? Or cut his grass? Or real... I saw him beat his wife.

Just curious if the newspaper thing ever turns up more then nics. Or false positives, etc...

--- some edits. Gotta slow down! ;)
NCC wrote:
pick_six wrote: i'd be curious how many times someone was rejected as a result of the news paper thing? if there are any stats?
To get your CCDW in DE you have to provide proof that you did run it from the paper that published if for you. If you don't have that with your paperwork they will not accept your application.
Last edited by pick_six on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #100503  by NCC

pick_six wrote:Yes, I am aware of that. And my question is, how many time has the newspaper posted portion of the application resulted in a rejection?
I think it harks back to a time when communications took a lot of time to catch up to all. It provided the citizenry a chance to help local law enforcement with their own towns. Today it is pretty useless I think. I quit reading the News Urinal in the 90's and most other papers shortly thereafter. It seems that many folks did the same given all the subscription problems they all have today.

Were that fella to object to everyone I am sure he would shortly be ignored. I personally have never heard of anyone being rejected by someone responding to a placed ad. Perhaps someone has Mrs. Broom's email address and can ask her?

But I, like you, do not like it and think it a risk to the gun owner that has to advertise he has at least one gun (I can't imagine that!) at that street address.
 #100533  by Owen

I read his flyer. This is the question I'd put to a Mr. Kittila as a perspective Republican Attorney General candidate: "Do you support constitutional carry in Delaware based on Article 1 Section 20 of the State's Constitution."
 #100535  by stephpd

Owen wrote:I read his flyer. This is the question I'd put to a Mr. Kittila as a perspective Republican Attorney General candidate: "Do you support constitutional carry in Delaware based on Article 1 Section 20 of the State's Constitution."
That would be a more appropriate question for legislators. Just because Beau decided to waste time and capitol on things that aren't his job doesn't make it right. Better question for an AG would be expanding reciprocity. Something that was in Beau's power but something he neglected to do.

That and asking questions about plea bargaining away multiple felonies just to get a conviction on a lesser charge. Actually prosecuting violent felons to the fullest extent of the law.
 #100536  by Owen

stephpd wrote:That would be a more appropriate question for legislators. Just because Beau decided to waste time and capitol on things that aren't his job doesn't make it right. Better question for an AG would be expanding reciprocity. Something that was in Beau's power but something he neglected to do.

That and asking questions about plea bargaining away multiple felonies just to get a conviction on a lesser charge. Actually prosecuting violent felons to the fullest extent of the law.
True, but the legislators would ask the AG what their opinion as a "subject matter expert".

The plea bargaining is a big one. The next AG should look longer and harder about how we enforce existing Federal gun laws in DE. Too often the felons get away with the vary things that should send them out of state to federal prison. Makes me think we are trying to keep them in DE for the money.
 #100538  by stephpd

We have 3 branches of government. Legislators, who's job it is to make law. Executive, who's job it is to enforce law and judicial to try cases based on the law.

It really isn't the job of executives to do the legislators job. Something this last administration seems to have forgotten. You'd have better luck with asking judges if CCDW is unconstitutional. But since Heller says that is a 'reasonable restriction' we're stuck with that decision. Few judges willing to go against precedence.

Constitutional carry in our case really remains in the hands of the legislators.
That would be a very good question for candidates running for those offices.
 #100539  by MrCoolDale

pick_six wrote:i'd be curious how many times someone was rejected as a result of the news paper thing? if there are any stats?
I personally know two people that were rejected based on the newspaper article. More accurately, based on responses to the newspaper article.

One person had their ex-wife write a letter stating the person shouldn't get the license based on various BS and a "propensity for violence" that was blatantly false and impossible to prove. The other person had their asshole cop of a neighbor call the AG's office and give a statement that the person in question was of "questionable character" and had theirs rejected.

Neither person had anything on their record and both are pretty decent people in my opinion.
 #100541  by California_Exile

MrCoolDale wrote:
pick_six wrote:i'd be curious how many times someone was rejected as a result of the news paper thing? if there are any stats?
I personally know two people that were rejected based on the newspaper article. More accurately, based on responses to the newspaper article.

One person had their ex-wife write a letter stating the person shouldn't get the license based on various BS and a "propensity for violence" that was blatantly false and impossible to prove. The other person had their asshole cop of a neighbor call the AG's office and give a statement that the person in question was of "questionable character" and had theirs rejected.

Neither person had anything on their record and both are pretty decent people in my opinion.
It's nearly impossible to get statistics about this sort of thing. CCDW permits occupy a weird place under the Freedom of Information Act. Notwithstanding that you have to publish your name and address in the paper to get one, the names and addresses of permit holders -- not applicants, but holders -- are expressly protected from FOIA disclosure. So are the results of criminal background investigations on anyone other than yourself. And the actual decision on the permit application is made by the Superior Court, which isn't subject to FOIA, but is subject to the open courts provision of Article I, Section 9 of the Delaware Constitution. A gadfly lawyer with unlimited funds and nothing better to do could have a lot of fun with a FOIA suit seeking statistics on grants vs. denials and descriptions of non-personally-identifying reasons for denials.

But as with most everything else in Delaware politics, that would be rocking the boat, and said gadfly would need to think carefully about whether pursuing that line would help or hurt the cause.
 #102248  by Red Alert

Any thoughts on the green party contender? A female who works in the agency. Never heard of her or the republican. I will say I don't trust many republicans and certainly not one I know nothing about...