Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #102249  by California_Exile

Red Alert wrote:Any thoughts on the green party contender? A female who works in the agency. Never heard of her or the republican. I will say I don't trust many republicans and certainly not one I know nothing about...
I don't know her. I've gotten to know Kittila (the R) a little, and plan to vote for him. NRA endorsed, decent guy (which is not something I say about a lot of lawyers).
 #102283  by Boots

"Shall Issue" would mean a bunch of amendments would be attached to the bill by the libs that would severely limit where you could carry and perhaps would be a step backward from where we are now. So, pushing for shall-issue does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

As far as I know, DE has already been operating as a virtual shall-issue state; albeit with processing delays, notices in the paper, and it's definitely not cheap. Mainly, let's be sure we're not taking a step backward by pushing for "Shall Issue."
 #102286  by Owen

Boots wrote:"Shall Issue" would mean a bunch of amendments would be attached to the bill by the libs that would severely limit where you could carry and perhaps would be a step backward from where we are now. So, pushing for shall-issue does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

As far as I know, DE has already been operating as a virtual shall-issue state; albeit with processing delays, notices in the paper, and it's definitely not cheap. Mainly, let's be sure we're not taking a step backward by pushing for "Shall Issue."
Good point. It would be very important to see the language of a shall issue proposal.

The reciprocity thing sounds good. If the AG accepted all other permits then would the other states accept DE is my question? I know there would be a few holdouts like NY and NJ.
 #102288  by phlydude

It is the AG office that holds up the permitting process now by forcing a judge's review. If the AG office says, no further review other than background check, then I don't see an amendment being needed.
It won't be as nice as PA where you can walk in, show your ID and be out the door in 30 minutes if you are a resident with no training, no references, etc.

I was a resident of Philadelphia county and in 1996, that process was more of a background check wait along with an interview (weed out the crazies). On my 21st birthday I showed up at the office to apply...I was asked why I was in such a hurry to carry a firearm...I told the detective that conducted the interview that my age had nothing to do with my maturity level and I had been around firearms longer than most of the police force in the city. Having a permit only assured me legal right of what was already granted to me by the constitution...he chuckled and said, good deal. I didn't even own a handgun at the time.
Even then, that process in the city immediately after their preemption lawsuit loss was completed involved a form, a couple photos and $20. I waited 3-4 weeks at a time when there was no instant check system in place. And the day it arrived, I broke that permit in and walked out the door of a gun shop with a Ruger P95DC (that I sold to another forum member) with 10 rd mags (it was Clinton-era restriction) at the time where a non-permitted purchaser had a 7-day wait before taking the firearm home.

Anything better than what we have now is good by me...it shouldn't be expensive, it shouldn't require references, it shouldn't require a long wait time.
I know some of you guys from being at Chris' basement and I wouldn't ask anyone I know as an occasional acquaintance to vouch for my character. I don't keep many friends and a few of them, I wouldn't ask to vouch because their crazy wife may have called the police on them during an argument and domestic issues were realized (unfairly).

So I am working here and there to identify those people I can truly use as references...I know of a solid 2 I can count on when the time comes to get them. I have a neighbor I am conversational with that seems to be a good egg and I think I saw him sneak a Glock into his house after a X-Ring sale/BBQ day and I have a couple others that may fill out the form...I just have to ask.
I haven't been in a hurry but the time is coming to get busy. I may just wait to see what happens here before putting the plan in place.
Last edited by phlydude on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #102289  by Dugan

phlydude wrote:It is the AG office that holds up the permitting process now by forcing a judges review. If the AG office says, no further review other than background check, then I don't see an amendment being needed.
It won't be as nice as PA where you can walk in, show your ID and be out the door in 30 minutes if you are a resident with no training, no references, etc.

I was a resident of Philadelphia county and in 1996, that process was more of a background check wait along with an interview (weed out the crazies). On my 21st birthday I showed up at the office to apply...I was asked why I was in such a hurry to carry a firearm...I told the detective that conducted the interview that my age had nothing to do with my maturity level and I had been around firearms longer than most of the police force in the city. Having a permit only assured me legal right of what was already granted to me by the constitution...he chuckled and said, good deal. I didn't even own a handgun at the time.
Even then, that process in the city immediately after their preemption lawsuit loss was completed involved a form, a couple photos and $20. I waited 3-4 weeks at a time when there was no instant check system in place. And the day it arrived, I broke that permit in and walked out the door of a gun shop with a Ruger P95DC (that I sold to another forum member) with 10 rd mags (it was Clinton-era restriction) at the time where a non-permitted purchaser had a 7-day wait before taking the firearm home.

Anything better than what we have now is good by me...it shouldn't be expensive, it shouldn't require references, it shouldn't require a long wait time.
I know some of you guys from being at Chris' basement and I wouldn't ask anyone I know as an occasional acquaintance to vouch for my character. I don't keep many friends and a few of them, I wouldn't ask to vouch because their crazy wife may have called the police on them during an argument and domestic issues were realized (unfairly).

So I am working here and there to identify those people I can truly use as references...I know of a solid 2 I can count on when the time comes to get them. I have a neighbor I am conversational with that seems to be a good egg and I think I saw him sneak a Glock into his house after a X-Ring sale/BBQ day and I have a couple others that may fill out the form...I just have to ask.
I haven't been in a hurry but the time is coming to get busy. I may just wait to see what happens here before putting the plan in place.

I agree on the references, though I may know a lot of people in DE. I wouldnt ask them to vouch for me carrying. The background check alone should prove everything they want to hear and more.
 #102301  by DragonJames

The reference requirement for me is the biggest PITA and roadblock to me getting my permission slip ( :poed: ) Moved to Kent a while back and now my "pool" is smaller, that I know of I only have 1 family member here and IIRC family is out for references so that leaves me at 0.

Personally I would give anything for DE to go Constitutional, but somehow I don't see that happening in my lifetime, so long as NCC and Wilmington control the politics here. I get rather annoyed at the fact that I need to rig a setup in my truck so my pistol is "In plain view", I drive a stock OBS F350, most cops I've seen wouldn't be tall enough to see the passenger seat, and it can be difficult to keep it on the dash.

I'm just going to hope things turn out good this November, 2012 was a huge let down as usual