Discussions pertaining to obtaining your FFL or C&R License or discussing C&R firearms.
 #5785  by Witchdr

At the request of my good friend Clancey, I have come to help stir the muddy waters of C&Rs.
I have had mine for about 8 years. I also have a 01 FFL so the C&R doesnt get used as much. The discounts offered by Brownells alone will pay for the C&Rs modest 35 doller fee. Especially if you buy from there much already. You can ship C&R firearms to and recieve them from other C&R Licenses in other states. I believe it is USPS regulations that dictate who or what type of licenses can send firearms through the mail. I believe it is stated as dealers, a little research on the USPS website should shed a little light on that. Also, the interpritation of the regulations is up to the local ATF inspector. The one we had here in DE was really lienient when I first got my licese. The current industry inspector seems to be alot more strict. In fact, he had me execute a back-ground check on my father before he would allow me to pass a rifle I had aquired on my C&R to him as a gift. If you read the requirements of the C&R there is no provision for registering with NIC and conducting Background checks. I cant wait for the oppurtunity to explain that at my first records audit. At any rate, the C&R is an easy license to get, and if you like older guns is really nice. Many mail order houses which cater to C&R holders are available, plus you can shop on Auction Arms and GunBroker where they classify firearms into Modern and C&R. Makes it easy to get into trouble with the misses. :banghead:
 #5786  by dave_in_delaware

Welcome, Witchdr, and thank you for the awesome post!
 #14419  by Boots

LordJim wrote:I recently found out that a C&R is good not only for the trade and purchase of C&R firearms, but also can be used to register as a dealer and receive dealer pricing with several online firearms/parts retailers (Midway, Natchezss, etc . . . ). So, I did a little (a VERY little) bit of digging and came across this page with relatively simple instructions on how to obtain your C&R.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2301471_apply-f ... s-gun.html

I've started the process and will be sure to let everyone know how this progresses.
Any updates?
 #14428  by LordJim

Sorry, I thought that I had posted it in this thread - the C&R came through as expected. It's been a while, but I don't think it took more than 30 days.

-
Jim
 #40606  by zencat

LordJim wrote:Sorry, I thought that I had posted it in this thread - the C&R came through as expected. It's been a while, but I don't think it took more than 30 days.

-
Jim
After reading this and related threads, I applied today for a C&R license...since I am a NJ resident it won't let me do much...still have to do Jersey's permits and maze of laws...but the discounts mentioned were tantalizing...so I invested the $30 for 3 year license...Note: back around 1982/3 I had a dealer FFL and a Class 3 NFA ticket...so sent them copies of that cause questions 11A on C&R form asks about suchlike...Life was easier back then!

Now to investigate whether or not a similar C&R license for my New Castle DE condo would pass muster and what I could do with same while still NJ resident..."It's complicated!"...You betcha!

zencat 8-)
 #43028  by zencat

zencat wrote: After reading this and related threads, I applied today for a C&R license...since I am a NJ resident it won't let me do much...still have to do Jersey's permits and maze of laws...but the discounts mentioned were tantalizing...so I invested the $30 for 3 year license...Note: back around 1982/3 I had a dealer FFL and a Class 3 NFA ticket...so sent them copies of that cause questions 11A on C&R form asks about suchlike...Life was easier back then!

Now to investigate whether or not a similar C&R license for my New Castle DE condo would pass muster and what I could do with same while still NJ resident..."It's complicated!"...You betcha!

zencat 8-)
C&R License arrived in today's mail...had a visit and educational interview from very nice ATF lady last month and we discussed that NJ residence and arcane laws stifles use of C&R for purchasing firearms...but seems the non-firearms discounts available still make it worth going thru the hoops...

zencat
 #43029  by fieldman

zencat wrote: C&R License arrived in today's mail...had a visit and educational interview from very nice ATF lady last month and we discussed that NJ residence and arcane laws stifles use of C&R for purchasing firearms...but seems the non-firearms discounts available still make it worth going thru the hoops...

zencat
Congratulations! :applause: Mine is more like a license to stimulate the economy. I have bought many firearms that probably wouldn't have been on my radar without the C&R. Very nice being able to get wholesale prices at distributors. Also having them shipped directly to you with no FFL transfer fees. Buy multiples and save on shipping too! Too bad on the NJ laws. Kinda makes all the above a moot point for you.

Discounts alone are worth the $30. I easily recoup'd my cost in a single purchase of a scope about a year ago. I have bought various other items since. This week I was shopping on Midway's site for a GunVault. Was nice to see the price go from $99.99 to $80.99 with a status of "Dealer Price" when I login. Yesterday I decided to re-purpose those funds to purchase magazines instead of the GunVault. There's been a run on hi-capacity magazines due to the AZ shootings and its being reported that legislation is now being drafted to ban hi-capacity mags. Anticipating a shortage, and prices to spike, I purchased 11 ARmagazines. Most places I looked were already sold out. Got pmags from Midway reg17.05, dealer price 15.99. Not much, but something. Got some Colt mags from SOG too.