Discussions pertaining to obtaining your FFL or C&R License or discussing C&R firearms.
 #5755  by LordJim

I recently found out that a C&R is good not only for the trade and purchase of C&R firearms, but also can be used to register as a dealer and receive dealer pricing with several online firearms/parts retailers (Midway, Natchezss, etc . . . ). So, I did a little (a VERY little) bit of digging and came across this page with relatively simple instructions on how to obtain your C&R.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2301471_apply-f ... s-gun.html

I've started the process and will be sure to let everyone know how this progresses.

-
Jim
 #5765  by Wynder

Wow...

I wonder if that means you can then ship them out via USPS with this?
 #5768  by LordJim

I know that you can have C&R firearms shipped right to your door. I'd assume that you could also ship C&R firearms via USPS and any other carrier, as well.

-
Jim
 #5771  by dave_in_delaware

I don't think the C&R allows you to be a "dealer" and ship firearms all around. It's strictly for the collector to help himself/herself out w/ easier means of obtaining collectibles.

BUT, this does give you the ability to have firearms shipped TO your door, and might get you dicsounts w/ retailers.

I've looked into getting my C&R, but it'll be at a later date when I can afford to pick up a few collectible firearms....
 #5773  by Wynder

dave_in_delaware wrote:BUT, this does give you the ability to have firearms shipped TO your door, and might get you dicsounts w/ retailers.
Right, I know you can't be a dealer, but I think any privilege only extends to C&R items... anything else and you're treated as an unlicensed person.
 #5776  by stephpd

Wynder wrote:This is what I saw:

"The licensed collector has the same status as a nonlicensee with respect to transactions involving firearms that are not classified as curios or relics."

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/relics/index.htm
That is clear as mud. We know that we could have C&R's shipped to our house but it says nothing about having stuff shipped elsewhere. Might be a better question for one of the more populated boards. THR, TFL, or PAFOA would be able to give a better answer.

Thought about getting one myself. Only $30 for 3 years or something like that. Pretty cheap way of getting discounts at the mail order places.

Money just seems to be getting tighter every day. More 'disposable' income going to just keep the lights on, house heated and gas in the car just to go to work.
 #5777  by Wynder

To me that reads as, "If you have a C&R FFL, you can ship, receive and transfer those firearms."

So, you couldn't, for instance, ship, receive or transfer an XD... Though, it's still a good way to get discounts -- hopefully, Jim will tell us how much of a discount he can get. :)
 #5781  by LordJim

Obviously I haven't received it yet, but I've read that discounts seem to hover around 25%.

-
Jim
 #5782  by dave_in_delaware

"The licensed collector has the same status as a nonlicensee with respect to transactions involving firearms that are not classified as curios or relics."
This says (to me) that IF the firearm is NOT on the C&R list, then you're treated as anyone else who does NOT have any type of FFL (i.e. you can't transfer guns back and forth, have a "modern" firearm sent directly to you, etc).

The C&R License is ONLY geared to collectors, collectible firearms (on the C&R list), and any "dealer" discounts on C&R firearms.

As for discounts from dealers, I have a website bookmarked (at work) that deals w/ C&R licensees. I'll post it tomorrow.