You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #25849  by JägerMatthias

Just got back from Best Buy today (rte. 2). Not OC friendly.

I went in without incident, and began browsing immediately. For the record, there is NOT a sign anywhere on or near the door dealing with store firearms policy. I don't have a list for Christmas yet, I was just browsing for ideas. Thought Best Buy was a place to start.

I browsed the whole place, and the employees were all nice, with the "Need help with anything?" line about every 10 seconds. I'm sure some of them noticed my Sigma. Anyway, I had been in the store for about 15 minutes, when an employee in a *yellow* shirt (not the usual blue) came up and asked,

"I just have to ask sir, is there a reason you're carrying a firearm?".
Me: (smile, polite) "Yes, I'm a member of Delaware Open Carry Group"
Him: (neutral) "Okay, do you have a license, or are you with law enforcement?"
Me: "Well, in Delaware, there is no license to Open Carry. If you want to hide it, you need a special permit. In our group, we open carry, and abide by Delaware law. It's nice. So for this, no such permit exists."
Him: (satisfied nod) "Okay...."

He turns and walks away, and I could hear him key his mic, and say, "He says there is no permit for...... (inaudible)." I didn't get to hear the whole transmission, but I was smart enough to realize that somebody somewhere was (and had been) watching me. It got me a little :? nervous, but I continued browsing, as if everything was fine. I was in the computer section, when I noticed one of my customers from the cafe I work at was looking for a computer. We were chatting about laptops for 20 seconds or so, when another employee (blue shirt) comes up behind me, and says:

"Sir, we don't allow that. You can't have a firearm in here"
Me: (polite) "Oh, sorry. Is there some sort of policy?"
Him: (neutral) "Yeah, I'm the manager here, and we don't allow firearms unless you're licensed or are with law enforcement"
Me: (disheartened) "I see."
Him: "We're gonna have to ask you to put it in your car, or leave"
Me: (nodding, compliance) "Okay, I understand"

I turn to leave, and I also noticed the manager was being closely followed by the first guy with the yellow shirt (bouncer?). Anyway, I left without complaint or drama. I was done browsing anyway. All the same, not a very good OC day: :(
 #25851  by dave_in_delaware

Sounds like total fear and BS from the employees to me. If there's no sign outside, then how is anyone to know about a specific firearms policy?

And to only allow LEO's or licensed individuals is discrimination. We don't need a license to OC. Period. I guess I should print some more cards out quoting the DE Constitution, and put "No gun = No $" on it somewhere.

You handled yourself professionally and without a scene. Kudos to you. I wouldn't have mentioned our group as a reason why you're carrying though. Had they been interested in our group, more discussion could have brought it up. I would have said "For self defense" or "because I can" or something as my reason. Nosy employees don't need detailed specifics. Maybe after his question, I would have asked a question: "Is there a policy against it?"

Now, let's boycott/blacklist that Best Buy forever. Well, after I have a "browsing" session there first....
 #25852  by VWpilot

dave_in_delaware wrote:Sounds like total fear and BS from the employees to me. If there's no sign outside, then how is anyone to know about a specific firearms policy?

And to only allow LEO's or licensed individuals is discrimination. We don't need a license to OC. Period. I guess I should print some more cards out quoting the DE Constitution, and put "No gun = No $" on it somewhere.

You handled yourself professionally and without a scene. Kudos to you. I wouldn't have mentioned our group as a reason why you're carrying though. Had they been interested in our group, more discussion could have brought it up. I would have said "For self defense" or "because I can" or something as my reason. Nosy employees don't need detailed specifics. Maybe after his question, I would have asked a question: "Is there a policy against it?"

Now, let's boycott/blacklist that Best Buy forever. Well, after I have a "browsing" session there first....
I agree wholeheartedly with all points you made above Dave. I'll never spend another dollar at any Best Buy again. I'm about sick of hearing about these anti-2d Amendment businesses harassing my fellow DELOC members around Delaware.
 #25854  by myopicvisionary

Strange, I OC at that Best Buy all the time without incident. Perhaps I will go back just to window shop.
 #25855  by Boots

Hmmm...

The other day we planned to buy a camera and my wife told me that Best Buy had gone out of business... apparently not... yet. ;)
 #25858  by scampbell3

Shall I suggest we meet at this Best Buy for a little group Christmas shopping/browsing as part of the December meeting? :mrgreen:

Chip
 #25862  by scampbell3

FYI....

BEST BUY's POLICY

from Customer Contact <CustomerContact@bestbuy.com>
to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
date Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM
subject Best Buy Gun policy - XXXXXXXX
mailed-by bestbuy.com

Best Buy strives to comply with all applicable law and statues. Best Buy also strives to provide a safe and comfortable shopping environment for all our customers. Best Buy does not ban guns at our retail locations. As a general rule, Best Buy does not post “no guns allowed” signs in our stores and we are not aware of any individual stores that might have posted such a sign.
 #25867  by ShakyHand

I have carried several times at the best buy across from the hospital near Christiana mall with no issues. I was in there Friday Early afternoon in fact.
 #25868  by JägerMatthias

dave_in_delaware wrote:I wouldn't have mentioned our group as a reason why you're carrying though. Had they been interested in our group, more discussion could have brought it up. I would have said "For self defense" or "because I can" or something as my reason. Nosy employees don't need detailed specifics. Maybe after his question, I would have asked a question: "Is there a policy against it?"
Sorry. Didn't think about playing it that way. It seemed like it was best to legitimize my OC for him, instead of go into a speech about the philosophy of self defense. IMO, the response, "Because I'm in this awesome civil-rights group that promotes lawful OC" is a little better than, "Because I can". My point is, I really believe if I had a DelOC business card to whip out (name, contact info, really official-looking), the situation would've played out quite differently.

And yes, our December activities should include some Rte. 2 Best Buy Christmas shopping. I say lets DO IT! :sparring: