You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #25089  by scampbell3

Well, I figured it is time to start my own OC log. I have had a number of amusing encounters, and a really good one tonight, so I am going to start this log.

November 4, 2009

Advance Auto Parts, Seaford.
We stopped in to get new headlight lamps for the Honda, and a fuel filter for the Jimmy.
No Issues...but a good encounter
As I am at the counter to pay for my items, I notice employee #2 walking up to the counter, stop and stare at me from my 2:00. (employee #1 ringing up my items)
Then employee #3 walks up to employee #2

employee #3 - what are you doing?
employee #2 - I am staring at his gun!
employee #1 - stops what he is doing and looks at my hip along with employee #2.
employee #2 - what kind of gun is that?
me - it is a Glock 19
employee #1 & #2 - go into what kind of firearms they have.
employee #2 - you're practicing that open carry thing aren't you?
me - yes, I am.
employee #2 - i am thinking about getting my concealed permit

The rest of the conversation rolls on about DE CCDW application process etc...

Handed out the DELOC cards to all of the employees.
Overall great encounter, and the best comment I have heard yet..."you're practicing that open carry thing, aren't you?"

Chinese Buffet, Seaford
no issues, looks, or comments

Concord Pets, Seaford
No issues, talked at length to the two employees about pet stuff, my firearm seemed invisible. Unless the great service we received was because of....hmmmm. Great place, and great prices. Will visit again.

Overall, great night.

Chip
 #25092  by cappilot06

Awesome first entry!! Will enjoy reading more posts from lower DE!
 #25096  by MrCoolDale

I have certainly seen a difference in service in restaurants when I carry. Typically the Mrs. and I get seated faster, a better booth, and it's not unusual for the manager to come out and ask how everything is. It's a lot of fun actually.
 #25100  by photog

Excellent encounter Chip!!! Sounds like lower De. may be more informed about OC than up here.

I also agree with Dale, people also seem to be more polite to you when you OC. This country would be a better place if more people open carried.
 #25103  by scampbell3

I believe that OC tends to more polite service and encounters, especially if you are also polite and have a good demeanor.
I have noticed this for sometime now, and after last nights encounter, I thought I would start this OC log. It was the first time that someone mentioned open carry to me with out me answering the typical "are you a cop" question.

The word is spreading.....lets keep it up.

Chip
 #25198  by scampbell3

November 7th

Branchy's Gun Shop
No issues as always. Monte even commented "I see you are still doing the open carry"

Dunkin Dounuts - Laurel
No issues, looks, or comments

Punkin Chunkin
With the VERY LARGE crowds of people, I opted for CC. Seemed to be more people here then at the State Fair.

Chip
 #25228  by scampbell3

November 8th

While stopped in the left hand turn lane at Rt 9 and US13, a Ford F-350 pulled next to me on the right. I look over and see both the driver and passenger :shock: :shock: Shot them a quick smile and headed off.

Royal Farms - Greenwood
Stopped for some cigs on the way to my parents house.
Pulled into a parking spot next to a couple from NJ. We got out of the car at the same time. I looked over and they just stood frozen in their tracks :shock: :shock:
Otherwise no issues, or comments

Dunkin Dounts - Glasgow
no issues, looks, or comments

Valero - Laurel
pulled in for gas, no issues, looks or comments
 #25240  by Godasmypilot

About the NJ couple, can you say culture shock? Good entries Chip, I guess I'll have to start a log too!
 #31709  by scampbell3

I thought it would be time to revive my OC carry log thread.

However, there is usually nothing interesting to report, just the same old thing.

OC'ed here, there, over there, etc...no negitive reactions, no children being carried out by screaming soccer moms, no detainments, arrests, no swat team call outs, not getting pulled out of the house in the middle of the night for physc evaluations.... :D

But tonight was a different.

Vic and I where doing our routine grocery shopping at the Wal-Mart in Seaford. I was not in the OC ambassador mood tonight, so I decided to casual conceal. I just pulled my sweat shirt over the top of my G21 (a sweat shirt does not conceal a Glock 21 very well, but it lets me get through the tortuous job of shopping without giving the OC speech very 5 minutes. I wasn't in the mood tonight)

Anyway....as we were going through the soft drink isle, a lady with 2 small children asked me if I could help her to reach the last 2 bottles of Dr. Pepper that were on the back of the top shelf. I gladly helped her. I reached up, grabbed the bottles handed them to her. She thanked me for the assistance, exchanged the common pleasantries and then continued on down the isle. As I get to the end of the isle I her the little boy say to his Mom (rather loudly)..."that man was a cop, did you see the HUGE GUN he had Mom" then the mother told her son, "yes dear, I saw it, it was nice of him to help us."

Under normal circumstances I would have corrected such a statement but I had already cleared the end of the isle. Apparently as I reached for the soda's my sweat shirt rode up above my firearm...oh well.

But as I thought about it, we hear from the Brady Bunch and other anti-gun wacko groups that continually tell the media we are terrifying children and mothers and striking fear in the hearts of the wee little one. For those who know me, I certainly could not pass for a LEO by any stretch of the imagination, especially wearing a sweatshirt and an old pair of jeans I use for working on the cars. After nearly a year of OCing, I am still amazed at what people's real reactions are when they see us OCing, as opposed to the rhetoric that is spewed by anti's and the MSM. It is little things like this that make the day just a little better.

Oh, well...carry on everyone.

Chip
 #31711  by Mr.Skellington

scampbell3 wrote:For those who know me, I certainly could not pass for a LEO by any stretch of the imagination, especially wearing a sweatshirt and an old pair of jeans I use for working on the cars.

Chip
No, I could see you easily being confused as an officer.

The part of the story I question is that you reached the top shelf :P :lol: