You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
  by stephpd

Baby step, Dave baby step.

Sometimes it's better to take it slow and allow the comfort level to rise slowly. Most of us had some apprehension when we first started too.

His parents seem to be coming around. Give them time.
  by dave_in_delaware

Yes, yes. My fault. I had forgotten that he's still under the parent's roof. I've been out on my own for too long I tend to forget that some people might still be affected by other's rules or sensibilities.

Carry on with your log!!! Go Tom!
  by Godasmypilot

dave_in_delaware wrote:Yes, yes. My fault. I had forgotten that he's still under the parent's roof. I've been out on my own for too long I tend to forget that some people might still be affected by other's rules or sensibilities.

Carry on with your log!!! Go Tom!
No problem Dave, I understand completely. Although the event surrounding my wish to exercise my rights has made me get a little more serious about getting out of the house. Gotta sell some guns to save up for my future mortgage payments! I....want.....to ....be ....free! Although then I might feel lonely, no one to debate with! :lol:

Thanks for the encourageement Dave, I'll probably have more material after IDPA tomorow.
  by Godasmypilot

Had a great morning shooting IDPA in the chilly weather! Since our Wednesday morning practices aren't sanctioned matches, the guys let me use my OC rig for shooting the stages. This attracted the attention of one of the guy from Maryland and I heard him talking to a friend about there being an open carry group. I turned and said, "Yup, I'm part of it!". He didn't seem too interested, but he thought it was cool. I gave a DELOC card (now I'm down to one) to a friend of mine who has his CCDW, hopefully he will join up, he'll complement our fine collection of characters here. ;) After we went to pick up some hay at Chick's and then we went for lunch at the Hardee's in Harrington. No one said anything about my piece, but I could tell most around me were well aware of it.

Later on we shipped some packages at the UPS depot. When I first came in wheeling our first two boxes I saw a few customers, a young couple (slightly older than me) and a man there about 55ish. The couple was fine until...I came in wheeling the next two boxes. Actually I should rephrase that, the guy was fine until I came back in, the girl was unphased. The younger guy was real nice, but not very good visualizing space I guess. I came in wheeling the boxes, but he opened the two way door toward me. That's when he noticed my pistol. He suddenly became very self conscious about how he was so close to me and how tight he was making the already tight space there.

I found out later that the older fellow was a Vietnam vet, no wonder he wasn't perturbed about my pistol!

The lady behind the counter was very nice, and said nothing about my pistol. All in all another good OC day!
  by organized_mayhem

JaegerMatthias wrote:Haha. You can count on those :pointlaugh: Maryland folk. Always good for a laugh.
Hey now. No picking on us Maryland folk. I can open carry anytime I want as long as I don't step out of my yard. :lol: :cry: I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that one. I do open carry on occasion when I go to Delaware or conceal with my Florida permit.
Last edited by organized_mayhem on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Godasmypilot

organized_mayhem wrote:
JaegerMatthias wrote:Haha. You can count on those :pointlaugh: Maryland folk. Always good for a laugh.
Hey now. No picking on us Maryland folk. I can open carry anytime I want s long as I don't step out of my yard. :lol: :cry: I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that one. I do open carry on occasion when I go to Delaware or conceal with my Florida permit.
Ok, we wont' pick on MD folks, but how about NJ folks? :pointlaugh: I know how you feel, I used to carry sporadically on our property when we lived in NJ. Oh the limitations! :(
  by Godasmypilot

After a long day of rolling around under my truck for brake repairs, my parents and I headed off to the Texas Roadhouse in Camden. It was jam packed! I love their Smokehouse burgers! :D There was no comment on my pistol from anyone, but I could tell that the men in the many packs of people waiting for tables were eyeing me.

After dinner we went to the Camden Wal-Mart next door to do a little shopping. No comments from anyone there.
  by Godasmypilot

Went up to the antique gun show up in Newark at the Aetna Fire House at the intersection of Rt 273 and Rt. 72. Very nice little show. Their requirement for carry pistols was that it be unloaded. I merely had to clear my pistol, show clear to the fellow at the desk, and then re-holster in Condition 4. What a nice little show! Definitely worth the $5 admission to me. And they have a great snack bar with reasonable prices.

I had a nice discussion with a fellow who spotted my pistol. He asked me if I was a cop, to which I replied "No". I began to tell him that OC is legal, but he said "Yeah, I know." Apparently he has discussed OC with his local police force in regards to fishing in the evening at a new spot he wants to try out. He's worried because from time to time he hears of unsavory events taking place there. He wants to carry a shotgun so that he's more visibly armed than with just a handgun. We parted commiserating on the political climate and with a warm handshake.

Later, on the way home, we stopped at TSC in Camden, people noticed, but no comment.

Stopped twice at the Wawa in Milford later on, no comments. Although I did notice a guy smile at me after glancing up from looking at my pistol.
  by Godasmypilot

Picked up some grain at TSC on 13 N in Camden, then got a bite to eat at the KFC across the way. People noticed but they didn't say anything. Proceeded to Chick's in Harrington for hay. This time there was a guy loading hay that I'd never seen around before. He asked me if anyone gave me any hassle about OC, to which I replied "Not too much." I mentioned some of the encounters that some of you have had (forgot to mention my run-in at the Wagon Wheel, oh well). He is interested in learning more about OC so I gave him one of my nice new DELOC cards. (Thanks Dave!)

Maybe we'll have enough people to make a Lower Slower meet happen this year, we'll see.
  by Godasmypilot

Well, I'm considering changing my registered party affiliation from Republican to the Constitution Party. I just got back from meeting Earl Lofland at his campaign headquarters in Camden. What an amazing fellow! I am going to volunteer big time to get this guy elected! He says that when he was in the USMC he took an oath "...To protect the and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic. So help me God!" He wants to uphold the Constitution in office, plain and simple, black and white. His webpage is http://www.ershawgpen.com/, it is under construction so there will be lots more updates which I will be helping out with.

Well, that's my OC adventure for the day, otherwise it was just another normal day carrying around the house while doing homework. ;)