You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #30969  by wwd

My first OC...

Took OC vehicle advice...put a white cloth on the charcoal fabric front seat...and of course it didn't budge. I went looking for a new holster. My current handgun magazine fortunately had a good article on holsters and materials.

Since I was going to Patriot Firearms on Kirkwood in Newark, I left my Colt 1911 unloaded. I gripped the barrel/slide end going in. They had nothing to fit my Colt. A friend of the owner was admiring the gun...tho' the finish is marred on one side of the slide due to some corrosion.

Went to Miller's, again gripping the barrel/slide end going in. Got a Serpa, box of Win45's, and 3rd mag. It's a nice, snug fit for both me AND the gun. I like the release tab, and the snap on insertion....good secure feeling.

Next, headed over to Lowe's on Rt273 Newark. Dropped the clip in, but did not chamber. I've been to an indoor range maybe 15 times, with the Colt and a few other firearms, so I'm comfortable handling. But until I take the Delaware CCDW required safety course, for me personally prudence is best. So I holstered the Colt, ensuring my short jacket was inside the holster.

Went in to pick up a couple of jugs of Drano. Surprisingly it felt almost natural. Like someone mentioned before, so many folks are carrying waist material that it just doesn't seem to stand out anymore. Strolled in, headed the wrong way, then asked for the Drano location. The associate didn't even drop his eyes...no one did. I kept myself unnoticably aware, but saw NO reaction whatsoever. It was pretty busy for the 273 Lowes, but I was just another shopper working on his house.

Left Lowes, put Colt on the white towel with mag-in, then headed off to BJ's at Pencader to pick up a few items. Holstered the Colt, then found a cart outside a couple of parking isles over. Again, nothing except a quick glance in the parking lot from some guy in his 40's, and inside a couple of eyes catching sight but completely ignoring it and going about their conversations and business. But I got my goods, went to the top checkout line by the restrooms, paid, left...end of story. One employee I kid with when I see him (and did again on my way out) didn't seem to notice or care.

Gun back on white towel, drove home, nothing to talk about.

I had read about enhanced awareness when OC'ing. What I did find interesting was, it was like riding my motorcycle. My senses were heightened very simliar to riding...heightened but comfortable and much more aware of my surroundings.

The other thing was...I found myself more patient on the road...no hurry in spite of the lengths of the traffic light or other driver misjudgements. Perhaps this ties back to the awareness thing.

I look forward to my next post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences on this forum. You guys made it feel quite natural, as well as patriotic. And that's a good thing.

Sorry if I'm getting too detailed...my senses must still be up a little, as I just got back about 1/2 ago.
 #30970  by scampbell3

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Great post. Welcome to the dark side....enjoy the cookies.

Chip
 #30971  by Tony T

Well done, Bill! :applause:

I've said it before but kids appear to notice a sidearm more often than adults in my experience. Most adults react as if they don't notice or they don't seem to care. Maybe they just size you up and determine you're not a threat. Maybe they just assume you have a specific reason to carry. It's not hard for me to believe that most adults simply don't pay much attention to what's going on around them. It's not hard to believe that kids are interested in everything that happens around them. And video games have made kids familiar with various small arms.

To be fair there are some people who have a negative reaction. In my experience they are few and far between. Naturally, it depends on how you present yourself. But there are some people who can't accept the sight of a gun minus a uniform.
 #30973  by Tate

Congrats! Most people don't notice, the ones who do just stare most of the time, but the ones who do notice right off the bat are the "urban thugs" that you see on a daily basis. Anyways stay safe!
 #30978  by myopicvisionary

I work at that Lowes on the weekends in the morning. Since I have been working there part-time, I can't openly carry on the property. Before I got employed with them I always OCed there. Nobody at Lowes ever gave me any hassles about being armed.
 #30983  by Boots

wwd wrote:... I kept myself unnoticably aware, ....
Yeah... I identified with that! :D
 #30995  by wwd

Today's OC Outing...

Headed out, Cowboys Hat on and again white towel on front seat. Last night I angled my Serpa back and loosed the adjustment screw...more comfortable in-and-out.

Made my first stop at RiteAid, on Harmony Rd and Rt4, to pick up 3 small round toy batteries. The counter guy didn't care as he showed me the battery selection. He called the mgr over to check the battery type I had with me. He saw the Colt (tho' he didn't know I knew it), but stayed about 5 yards back and was, I felt, just a little uncomfortable, but still helpful. Good for him. After finding the batteries, the mgr said I could get probably get the same thing in a 3 pack at Walmart for $3 or $4 less. So I gave my thanks, and headed out.

Went to KMart College Square...a couple of women customers and a couple of female employees noticed, but went right back to business. I walked over to the info desk, and the gal pointed me to another lady at table next to her. She very helpfully pointed out the battery location, and had a cheerful smile in her face. So I got the batteries (about $3 less than RiteAide) and got in line. Couple of folks caught it, but ignored it and me. Paid & left.

Next, I had to make a stop after I left KMart. I did a heavy legs workout today and have been drinking lots of water. So I stopped at Sears Home Center. I didn't want to run in OC'ing, use the john, then leave. And I didn't want to leave the Colt on the seat, exposed. So, to avoid self-incrimination, I'll state in the form a question. Should I have dropped the mag, stowed the mags in the glove box, and the Colt in its soft case on the far rear floor. Or should I have just pulled to towel over? Came out, reloaded but unchambered, & headed down Kirkwood Hwy.

Next stop was Captain's Catch for some Cherry Stones and Little Necks. The mgr (I think) came over to ask about OC. He's recently back from his tour the Middle East. with four years in the Marines. God Bless Him!!! :applause: We talked for a few minutes about OC, then I handed him one of the color brochures I printed last week. I hope he'll look in. Seemed like a great guy!!!

Then over to Total Wine on Rt7. Had to get a decent Chablis to go with the half-shells. Just as I got through the door, an associate wearing an Eagles jacked stopped, stared for just one second, then piped up..."A Cowboys hat AND a gun!". I burst out with a laugh, winked, then went in. A few people noticed, but weren't put off. One gal behind a desk looked a little...hesitant...as I looked in her direction. I went over to her with a smile and asked her where the Chablis was. She relaxed, and pointed me down the aisle. I got the wine, a 30-pack of Coor's Light, and checked out....nothing unlike my other trips there.

From there I headed to Miller's on Rt13 just to browse a little. I pulled the mag and opened up the Colt..as no loaded's allowed. No issues here, of course. Held a Walther PPK..didn't realize the weight. Picked up some more cleaning solvent and oil, & headed out.

On the way home I stopped back at Wawa on Harmony Rd & Rt4 to pick up a few things. Only one or two glances...again no on was fazed.

A good day...quite comfortable, good feeling. God Bless America!

As a side note, the guy at Miller's who helped me yesterday had told me my Colt was WWI vintage, and showed me why on the bottom half of the back of the grip. The guy I was talking to yesterday at Patriot Firearems said I could probably find something at Border's. I did, yesterday, tho' not OC'ing. I checked the Colt book, nothing. Then I checked the military arms book, and found the serial # range...so it's a 1918. A shame one side of the slide has some corrosion, but she's still sweet.
 #31015  by George

I used to: just place in glove box (GB) loaded and lock the GB. I know some unload first. either way there is technically a gray area as you place in the GB before you get out of the car, and when you get back in the car before you take it out of the GB. If needed you can argue that there was no intent.
 #31017  by myopicvisionary

I didn't want to run in OC'ing, use the john, then leave. And I didn't want to leave the Colt on the seat, exposed. So, to avoid self-incrimination, I'll state in the form a question. Should I have dropped the mag, stowed the mags in the glove box, and the Colt in its soft case on the far rear floor. Or should I have just pulled to towel over? Came out, reloaded but unchambered, & headed down Kirkwood Hwy.

The guy I was talking to yesterday at Patriot Firearems said I could probably find something at Border's. I did, yesterday, tho' not OC'ing.
You should have OCed. Leaving the pistol in a case on the floor makes it a target for theft.

Why didn't you OC at Borders? I OC there all the time... no problems.
 #31065  by wwd

Why didn't you OC at Borders? I OC there all the time... no problems.
No...*good* reason I guess. I was home, had put BJ's goods away, wife and kid were home also. Then got to thinking more about the serial# thing...and was comfortable with my days' for OC. Didn't really give it much thought to be honest...just headed over. Good question...making me think now. And that's a good thing.