You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #32211  by Amy Blackthorn

OC Entry #4

This morning Matt and I decided to go with our weekend tradition of Brunch out. We went to Bob Evans. MUCH less crowded on Saturday than Sunday. We were greeted at the door, and informed it would be just a moment while they cleared a table. The hostess and servers who spoke with us neither appeared to notice or care.

We got a pleasant surprise! Our favorite Don Pablo's server was now working there! She spotted us at the front of the restaurant and even though she had never seen me with my side arm on (I OC'd Matt didn't.) she gave me a flying tackle hug. :D (If you're in there on Fri, Sat or Sun Ask for Tina K. :applause: She was not 'afraid' or that semi creepy, "I'm goin to be sugary syrupy sweet to you only because you're carrying a gun" thing.

A few of the other servers did the "surprise, it's a gun!" face, that comes with raised ears, but as it's becoming more and more of a "thing" they are less and less shocked by it.

We had a lovely brunch, and as usual, the manager came by to check on how things were going. Polite as always.

We stopped by Borders on the way home to check on a new release.

Every employee noticed, in a "Yellow" way, not an orange or red. I got polite nods from staff with whom I made eye contact, just like any other day.

A mom or two noticed, but they didn't say anything or react. I just smiled and went on my way.
---------------------------------------
Home now for another hour before I have to disarm :banghead: to head to work. Once I can get my CCDW it won't be a problem. I have 4 out of five "people". That's all that is holding me up so far. I've already taken the class and passed with flying....never mind. ;)

If you haven't yet, I really loved my classes with http://www.omegafirearmstraining.com/
I took the class with another woman, and even though I had been shooting about 14 years, I learned a lot. The other woman who took the class with me was still even nervous to be in the same room as a firearm, and by the end of the day, not only was she not nervous, she fired like a champ! Tight groupings, and a HUGE smile on her face. No "being treated like a girl".
 #32538  by Amy Blackthorn

My Boss agreed to fill out my CCDW form today. :D

That is the last person I needed!

B- CCDW holder / neighbor (for 6 years) (male)
B- Bad ass Boss (female)
C- Good friend and "boss" at Volunteer org. (female)
T- AMAZING FRIEND CCDW holder (Male)
J- Amazing friend and T's S.O. CCDW HOLDER (female)
 #32934  by Amy Blackthorn

4/14

Met Ted for lunch at Moe's, me OC, (HK USP compact Level 2 holster) him, CC. It was empty when we got there. Go through the order process with Female (#1). She didn't blink. Male, (#2) asks if I need a drink and gives me the total. I reach into my pocket to grab cash and realize it must have fallen out in parking lot. As I realize this, #2 sees I have the USP on my hip. :shock: he was so surprised he actually took a step back, and may or may not have raised his hands in surprise.

"Wow, you've got a gun!" Ted informed him that I was not the only one. As I run out to the parking lot to check for lost $ I hear Ted explaining about OC vs CC and how both are legal within the law. Apparently while I was outside, he explained that he "figured" Ted would have a gun, but it surprised him that I did as well. "I'm just not used to seeing guns without a uniform." I'm guess he really did get the fact that you don't have to be issued a uniform to carry a firearm. I was in a tank top and jeans, and decidedly not LEO in appearance in my mind. I guess some people can only picture someone as a LEO if they're carrying. I just fits their world view.

A few minutes later while we were eating, #2 comes and sits in the next aisle over on the end. Ted, ever the comedian says, "I see, you just don't want to sit with us." /grin

#2 responds, "Wow, I didn't realize you were still here!" :oops: (We got our orders "For Here" and it had been less than 5 minutes.) Then tells us, he wouldn't sit near us because "you have guns!" We smiled and tried to look non threatening while I informed him, that it made our table the safest in the restaurant, as the firearms couldn't go off by themselves. He made sure to sit with his back to us after that.

I guess no matter how nice you appear, there is always that "ness". Either that, or since he still refused to believe we weren't LEOs that maybe he was nervous about something else, :D .

We sat in the parking lot chatting in the sunshine after we ate and though we talked with several more people by the time we went our separate ways no one said a word, made the :shock: face, asked "The Question" or even seemed to notice.

I later stopped at Wawa on 40 in Glasgow and no one seemed to notice or care.
 #33035  by photog

It seems that we will always run in to the occasional person who is just "uncomfortable" around firearms. Unless it's a LEO, which makes no sense. Maybe their upbringing, or a bad personal experience. But it has been my experience that most either don't notice or care that I'm armed. Half assume that I'm LE, and the others that inquire are amazed that it's legal.

Much like your friend, I also joke around with people when they inquire, it helps to put them at ease and make them more comfortable, and that puts OC in a positive light.

Good encounter...great job!!!
 #33038  by Amy Blackthorn

photog wrote:
Much like your friend, I also joke around with people when they inquire, it helps to put them at ease and make them more comfortable, and that puts OC in a positive light.

Good encounter...great job!!!
thanks! He wasn't hostile about it, just not informed. Hopefully it will make it less of a big deal for the next OCer
 #33640  by Amy Blackthorn

My friend Jess and I went to the gym in the devlopment where she and her Fiancee (another good friend) live to work out the other evening. When we walked in, there were two other residents in the gym (it was LATE). I was OC, the entire, time but until I took off my sweatshirt the older gentleman didn't notice as it looked as though he was attempting to chat up the woman who was also working out. ;) After his catch 'got away' he turned his attention to Jess and I.

"Young Lady, I assume you know how to use that thing?" Our silver haired friend asked.

"Why yes, sir!" I replied.

"Well good, you don't want just any old person wandering around with a gun. I'm glad you have one of those permit things in this neighborhood."

"Well sir, I've taken my CCDW classes and am in process of getting my permit, but you don't need a permit in the state of Delaware to carry openly." (hand over DELOC brochure).

"Do you ladies always work out in here this late?"

"No, we usually do laps around the neighborhood," Jess replied.

"Wow, you DO need a gun!" :lol:

All in all it was a very pleasant encounter, and not only was he not :o about seeing someone with a gun on their hip, we also didn't get any "Girls don't need guns" attitude. :)
 #33641  by Amy Blackthorn

My other half and I decided we were craving some Deerhead hotdogs food yesterday. As I readied myself and my 239, we were ready for our day.

I'm finding I'm OCing more often than my husband, and that's okay with me. Most people (at least those that don't know him) have found him to be a visual deterrent in the past anyway. Even LEOs stop to ask him if he is one frequently.

We stopped in the DHH across from Christiana Hospital during the busy lunch rush. We got to the counter to order and the girl behind the counter noticed my sidearm, enough that her ears went up, but no 'bug eyes'.

I noticed a few other patrons trying NOT to be seen noticing.

Our favorite part? Rusty, the owner came over to talk (as he does frequently). He sat at eye level with my SIG for close to a half hour while we ate and never blinked, or seemed to notice (even though he had never seen me OC in there before.)

Matt remarked a few times on the way home, just how happy we were that we are always treated so well there, whether we're OCing or not. I'm really looking forward to the new Deerhead (on rt 40 next to moes) to open in a week.

I suggested we stop in Best Buy (next door ish) to see if they had any "sticki pads" to keep our firearms from sliding around on the dash. (alas, they no longer carry them, if you have any suggestions, please feel free to let me know).

Best Buy, was just fine. I looked poised and professional, and either it was as Ted says, "people see what they want to see" or my all black "on my way to work" outfit blended very well with my all black pistol and holster combo because though I didn't expect the employees to :o I'm used to a notice or two during my errands.
 #33644  by myopicvisionary

to see if they had any "sticki pads" to keep our firearms from sliding around on the dash.
I used a mouse pad on the bottom of my dash rig.
 #33646  by Amy Blackthorn

So I've started OCing a lot more, recently.

I've had some unnerving issues crop up, and I feel a lot better about carrying, as well as the comfort of others while I carry.

For instance, my husband asked, "Has anyone OC'd in Best Buy yet?" He would have let it stop him simply for the (in)convenience of it. He just didn't want the hassle. I knew I had seen many OC entries involving running in to BB, so I was confident in going there.

While hanging with Ted last night, he needed to run to Wally world. As I moved to..? disarm, he asks why.

"I've read that Walmart isn't exactly OC friendly."

"And...? The worst that can happen is they ask you to leave."

:idea:

I could feel the light bulb go on over my head. I guess I was still almost waiting for the swat team to show up, just because I'm walking around with a firearm.

I got a few, as Ted called them, "Surreptitious glances", and one 0_0

The burly security guard who asks to see everyone's receipts some how 'missed' us. :lol:

Even T remarked as we left. "See, You open carried in Walmart and no one called the police, and everything was just fine." I guess I was a little more conscious of "new oc locations" then I really wanted to admit to myself. I feel a lot more confident now.
Last edited by Amy Blackthorn on Tue May 04, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #33647  by Amy Blackthorn

myopicvisionary wrote:
to see if they had any "sticki pads" to keep our firearms from sliding around on the dash.
I used a mouse pad on the bottom of my dash rig.
Do you have any photos you might be willing to share?