You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #31698  by Amy Blackthorn

So I had my first OC outing today!

Ted had mentioned it was common for first time "open carry" to feel like I was wearing a giant neon sign, instead of a firearm, and I did for about the first ten minutes.

Matt and I chose to grab bunch at Bob Evans, since other OC threads mentioned that being an "outing" location that was OC friendly.

We got there and I was feeling a little exposed. Fortunately I was prepared. Shoulders square and head up I walked in to Bob Evans.

As we were entering three women were exiting (2 middle aged and one senior citizen). One of the women did a full, big eyed 360. My husband heard them discussing this in hushed tones, and I heard one say, "...both of them?"

I kept expecting it to be a 'big deal', and when I wasn't swarmed by SWAT, I felt a lot better.

No one we encountered mentioned it and besides these women no one was blatant about "noticing". After being seated and having a lovely brunch with Matt, I started to feel less like I was wearing a neon sign, and finally was comfortable by the time we left.

We stopped at the Acme on Elkton/ Newark Road and I went in for a few quick items.

I went over most of the store, looking for my needed items, and if they noticed, I didn't see it.

Even the cashier, with whom I spoke with, we traded jokes, and pleasantries, but he never said a word about it.

All in all, I feel much more comfortable carrying in the future.
 #31699  by Tony T

Well done, Amy! :applause:

Print out a few Deloc trifold brochures to stick in your pocket.

http://www.deloc.org/docs/carrybrochure.pdf
 #31701  by Amy Blackthorn

Tony T wrote:Well done, Amy! :applause:

Print out a few Deloc trifold brochures to stick in your pocket.

http://www.deloc.org/docs/carrybrochure.pdf
Thanks for the reminder, Tony! I saw that the first time I visited the site in January, but had yet to print any out and carry them.

I'll go do that now!
 #31702  by stephpd

Most folks are to caught up in there own world to even notice the gun. Many that do see it will just assume you have a good reason (in law enforcement or something). Occasionally you'll get the bug eyed stare, usually with the hushed tones. And small children (something about it being at their eye level) will on occasion say something to their parents about the gun. Teenagers will sometimes say something about the actual make of gun you're carrying. (or get it wrong and call it a glock)

And on the most rare occasions someone will approach and ask questions. No fear, more a curiosity. They are surprised to learn that OC is legal for all law abiding adult citizens in DE.

And I've yet to here of any true story of folks running away in fear. :o
 #31703  by wwd

Exellent outing. Had my first a couple of weeks back.

Just be very careful on that road...next thing you know you're in MD.
 #31705  by Jason

Yea MD can sneak up on ya quick lol
 #31706  by Amy Blackthorn

wwd wrote:Exellent outing. Had my first a couple of weeks back.

Thanks everyone for your support!

And thanks for the reminder, wwd. We live on the last road in Delaware off of Elkton Road. You could hit Maryland with a rock from our front porch. We are trying to be VERY aware of the proximity.
 #31707  by scampbell3

Excellent post, and congrats on your first OC outing. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Chip
 #31708  by Amy Blackthorn

scampbell3 wrote:Excellent post, and congrats on your first OC outing. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Chip
Thanks Chip!

By the end of the night, I wasn't even worried about it anymore and I think I'll be doing it a lot more.
 #31714  by myopicvisionary

Thankfully, the turn around at Dunkin Donuts is on our side!