You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #50814  by Amy Blackthorn

GatorDude wrote:Eventually maybe the police will learn that they don't have the right or the obligation to stop you, detain you, ask for you ID, etc. :o
So what would you say? We know it isn't legal. "I understand you have to come 'check it out' but as I'm not breaking any laws, am I free to go?" If we don't have to provide anything other than our business out that day, and not photo ID, what then?
 #50821  by GatorDude

I would always ask: "Am I free to go?"

Once the officer answers other than "Yes."

I would cooperate, etc. Yes, I would give my ID. If they asked for my CCDW permit, I would give them that as well.

I may also ask other than the MWAG call, if there was any reason I was being stopped. Why? To determine whether or not the police officer thinks I was "acting suspiciously"without disclosing the actual purpose of the question.

I think that every time this happens to someone they need to follow up and complain about it...AFTERWARDS.

It is (a) the only way they'll get it, and (b) the only chance for recovery in a civil rights suit down the road....
 #50823  by myopicvisionary

The way I read it, jslacker realized that this trooper wasn't there to hassle him so there was no need to draw a line in the sand.
 #50826  by GatorDude

myopicvisionary wrote:The way I read it, jslacker realized that this trooper wasn't there to hassle him so there was no need to draw a line in the sand.
I wouldn't draw "a line in the sand" even if the trooper was hassling me. That is NOT the time to do it. Your job, at that point, should be to get out of the situation as painlessly as possible.

The issues, as I see it, are how to elicit the necessary information to determine that the detention is unlawful and illegal and then how to respond after the fact.

I know some people say you should argue, refuse to give ID, etc. I do not subscribe to those views at all. I think they are counterproductive at that moment. As I've said many times, the time to deal with the issue is after you are free to go.
 #50827  by jslacker

In this situation I knew the officer was not there to hassle me because I had a gun, but he was there to reassure the sheepson that called him out. Is that right? No, but I'm not going to change that on the spot by being confrontational with the officer, that has to happen after the fact like Gator said. Therefore I just wanted to get it over with as quick as possible. Now if I were just strolling down my street and a cop stopped just to give me a hard time then yes I may have went the whole "Am I being detained, am I free to go?" deal. I also assumed that if I refused to show my ID (because i can) it would have been a whole drawn out thing that would have taken more than 5 mins. With groceries, perishables included, all bagged up and ready to go why would I want to make it any harder on myself by not cooperating with an officer of the law? I could see that he was annoyed that he had to come out for a person lawfully OCing a firearm, Why tick him off even further. This guy was just doing his due diligence.

I was not disarmed at any point, however I was instructed to "standby" while he went back outside to run my ID, so technically you could say I was detained.

QUESTION If it was the actual store that called on me and not a patron, would the store have to approach me first and ask me to disarm or leave first prior to calling the police? I would assume that since the officer made it known that he did not know who called the police I could assume that it wasnt the store.
myopicvisionary wrote:The trooper asked for his ID, did NOT disarm him and even let him conclude his businees while waiting outside. Sounds like the trooper was merely going through the motions since there obviously was no threat. I'm sure the unseen sheep felt good about that. The point is that the trooper knew OC is legal and didn't harrass him. Sounds like great progress to me.
+1
 #50828  by WPCatfish

Good end to the encounter, but these calls would ideally be more like the Middletown call during the last meeting.
 #50829  by jslacker

WPCatfish wrote:Good end to the encounter, but these calls would ideally be more like the Middletown call during the last meeting.
I agree he should have just exited the security office, and saw that I was not a threat as I was bagging my groceries and went on his way.
 #50834  by GatorDude

WPCatfish wrote:Good end to the encounter, but these calls would ideally be more like the Middletown call during the last meeting.
Exactly my point. Although the encounter wasn't much of an inconvenience, the fact is that it should not occur at all. There's no reason there should be anything other than an "encounter from a distance."
 #51968  by jslacker

Since the weather was so nice yesterday afternoon/evening I decided to walk with my wife and lil doggie to the store…

OC’d from my home to the tobacco time in Fox Run shopping center yesterday only had 1 person in the store do a double take and a lot of looky-lous in passing cars as we were waiting for the light to change to cross the street, on our return trip.