You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #39679  by dave_in_delaware

scampbell3 wrote:
jslacker wrote:SN: How does everyone handle getting in and out of your car while OCing? Whats your procedure?
I am going to make the assumption that you are referring to those who do not have a CCDW, correct?
Well, he did specify "while OCing" so I'm going to assume he meant for OCing without a CCDW. If you have a CCDW then obviously it wouldn't matter.

When I'm getting into my vehicle, I simply get into my seat, unholster my gun and put it on the passenger seat. If someone is sitting in the passenger seat then I put it on the dash. Many people have devised ways to mount a holster on the dash. I used adhesive-backed Velcro on the dash and holster to make the "system" removable. I'd rather not drill holes or screw stuff into my dash.

When getting out of my vehicle, I holster my gun right before I open the door to get out.

I don't mess with unholstering or holstering outside of my vehicle, because I'd rather not draw that sort of attention to myself. In my communications with the AG's Office, they never specified HOW to holster/unholster in a vehicle, just where the gun had to be.
 #39680  by Jeepflexin

dave_in_delaware wrote:
I don't mess with unholstering or holstering outside of my vehicle, because I'd rather not draw that sort of attention to myself. In my communications with the AG's Office, they never specified HOW to holster/unholster in a vehicle, just where the gun had to be.
I think you mean 'where they recommend the gun should be" ;)
 #39682  by dave_in_delaware

Jeepflexin wrote:
dave_in_delaware wrote:I don't mess with unholstering or holstering outside of my vehicle, because I'd rather not draw that sort of attention to myself. In my communications with the AG's Office, they never specified HOW to holster/unholster in a vehicle, just where the gun had to be.
I think you mean 'where they recommend the gun should be" ;)
If you want to get technical, they never said "recommend" or "suggest" or whatever. They said the gun had to be in the open, either on the passenger seat or on the dash, somewhere where a responding Officer could easily see it. Anywhere else probably won't be "in the open" or "easily seen" anymore. So, I would "recommend" either on the seat or the dash, since this is what the AG told me.

Sheesh, gotta get technical, don't ya? ;)
 #39684  by jslacker

Thanks for the tips gentleman! What if the dash is not an option and the passanger seat is occupied? I would assume stored in the trunk and re holstered upon arrival at destination.
 #39686  by photog

jslacker wrote:Thanks for the tips gentleman! What if the dash is not an option and the passanger seat is occupied? I would assume stored in the trunk and re holstered upon arrival at destination.

If you do store it in the trunk, be sure that the firearm is in a case, unloaded, and the ammo is located somewhere else...

And congrats on your OC walk today!! :applause:
 #39687  by Jeepflexin

dave_in_delaware wrote:If you want to get technical, they never said "recommend" or "suggest" or whatever. They said the gun had to be in the open, either on the passenger seat or on the dash, somewhere where a responding Officer could easily see it. Anywhere else probably won't be "in the open" or "easily seen" anymore. So, I would "recommend" either on the seat or the dash, since this is what the AG told me.

Sheesh, gotta get technical, don't ya? ;)
Would you recognize me any other way? :lol:
 #39703  by WPCatfish

photog wrote:
If you do store it in the trunk, be sure that the firearm is in a case, unloaded, and the ammo is located somewhere else...

So holstered and loaded next to you on the front passenger or dash is OK, but if it's in the trunk it has to be empty? :?:
 #39704  by GatorDude

WPCatfish wrote:
photog wrote:

So holstered and loaded next to you on the front passenger or dash is OK, but if it's in the trunk it has to be empty? :?:
Correct. If it's in the trunk, it's concealed. The key to OC gun issues is that the firearm must be open and visible. A firearm in the trunk is not visible. You must then comply with laws as they pertain to transporting firearms. This involves doing what Photog said.
 #39706  by WPCatfish

Ah, that counts as concealed. Makes sense now. Thanks!
 #39805  by Jeepflexin

GatorDude wrote:
WPCatfish wrote:
photog wrote:

Correct. If it's in the trunk, it's concealed. The key to OC gun issues is that the firearm must be open and visible. A firearm in the trunk is not visible. You must then comply with laws as they pertain to transporting firearms. This involves doing what Photog said.
I thought it also had to be "readily accessible" to qualify as a concealed deadly weapon, please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding was once it is "cased" it is no longer readily accessible and no longer a concealed deadly weapon because it is just concealed. I also understand that a handgun can be loaded or not. Assuming you are traveling Delaware roads.

Use small words so I'll understand. ;)