You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #41601  by cappilot06

This has happened to most of us who OC. The simple argument for why kids shoudl be allowed to see someone OC'ing is simple. If a child is shielded from firearms, what will they do if they ever stumble upon one or come into contact with someone who has one. Kids need to understand that LEO's are not the only ones who can carry.

A simple answer is to look around you when they ask, and ask them back..."Do you see a cop around?" When they say no, ask them this "What are you going to do to protect yourself or your child if a mugger, murderer, rapist walks up to you right now?" Kids need to know that they need can rely on their parents to protect them while they are young, and on themselves for protection when they get older.
Any child who is shielded from the concept of someone exercising their Constitutional Rights, is a future citizen who will blindly follow those who wish to take them away.
 #41602  by Christopher518

cappilot06 wrote:This has happened to most of us who OC. The simple argument for why kids shoudl be allowed to see someone OC'ing is simple. If a child is shielded from firearms, what will they do if they ever stumble upon one or come into contact with someone who has one. Kids need to understand that LEO's are not the only ones who can carry.

A simple answer is to look around you when they ask, and ask them back..."Do you see a cop around?" When they say no, ask them this "What are you going to do to protect yourself or your child if a mugger, murderer, rapist walks up to you right now?" Kids need to know that they need can rely on their parents to protect them while they are young, and on themselves for protection when they get older.
Any child who is shielded from the concept of someone exercising their Constitutional Rights, is a future citizen who will blindly follow those who wish to take them away.

Well put.
 #41621  by photog

Christopher, first, +1 to what Cappilot said. On my very first OC trip out, I was at a grocery store and while in the checkout line, a child behind me yelled "LOOK MOM, A GUN!!!" I turned and smiled to the mother and child. I must admit, it made me nervous, but I carried on. Don't let this encounter discourage you at all.

As to your fiance, when I first started OCing and would go out, my wife would always roll her eyes and ask, "Do you have to bring the gun??" :roll: After a few months, she got used to it. One night, we were going over to a friends house, I was going to leave my gun at home, she asked "aren't you bringing your gun??" Now, a year or so later, she has her own gun, her CCDW, a member of this forum, (SigGirl) and OC's on her own. Explain to your fiance that part of the reason that you carry is to protect her from the scum of society. Also, I used to read the daily crime stories in the News Urinal to her to hammer that point home.

So time changes things. Stay safe and strong!! 8-)
 #41653  by dave_in_delaware

Christopher518 wrote:... she said she doesn't really like the idea of kids seeing the gun and asking the parents questions.
Um, what? Your fiancee doesn't want parents honestly answering their own kids' questions about guns? Is she for real? I guess she doesn't want kids and parents to talk about anything "real" like sex, protection, bad people, etc? No offense to your fiancee, but that's one of the dumbest things I've seen said about guns and kids.
Christopher518 wrote:She would prefer that I get me ccdw and just conceal carry when she is with me, which is no problem and I understand she works with kids and is worried that we might see one of them out one day.
And what if she did see a child out there? The kid sees your gun, the kids might ask questions, you answer them honestly, you all go about your business. What's so difficult about that?
Christopher518 wrote:Has anyone ever encountered a situation where a kid has noticed your weapon and approached you or had the parents approach you?
I've had plenty of kids see my weapon. Some blurt out "Gun!" and others quietly tell/show their parents. I've never had any parent come up to me and question me about it. They probably just tell their kids that I'm a cop, since i'm sure many do not know that OC is lawful. I don't worry about it.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh to your fiancee, but you know what? If she's so worried about what OTHERS will think of you carrying, then she just doesn't "get" it, and may never "get" it. What's the next step? Oh, hide your gun (CCDW). What if you can't get a CCDW and you're forced to OC 100% of the time? Will you just stop carrying and protecting yourself and her because she's worried about what others might think, or (God forbid) a child might ask their parents a question about your gun?

Now is the time to think about what's important to you. I know your fiancee is important, but so is protecting her via carrying a gun. Hopefully the two will become compatible (fiancee + you carry), but what if it doesn't?

I'm living proof that crime can happen to anyone, at any time, anywhere. I know that if I wasn't OCing that one fateful night that I would be dead right now. If I was unarmed, I'd be dead. And if I was concealing, I'd be dead. I hope your fiancee comes around soon, and doesn't prevent you from protecting her or yourself someday.

Oh, and by the way, I have three younger children (about 8, 6.5, and 5 when I started carrying) of my own who used to ask me questions about why I carry a gun. I answered them honestly and bluntly. I'm not shielding them from the real world. They need to know that there are evil people out there that would think nothing of hurting their Daddy or them, so I carry to protect myself and them in case someone tries to hurt us. They also know the gun safety rules and never to touch a gun if they ever find one. I believe that if you take the mystery and "no no" value away from guns and teach your children about them up front, they won't be tempted to learn about guns the hard way (and we all know what that could include).

I hope I haven't offended you or your fiancee, but this is a lifestyle we've all chosen. There isn't a safe compromise when it comes to protecting ourselves or our loved ones, and I feel very strongly about the subject. I hope your fiancee comes around and realizes that you carrying, especially open, is the best thing for her.
 #41654  by photog

dave_in_delaware wrote: I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh to your fiancee, but you know what? If she's so worried about what OTHERS will think of you carrying, then she just doesn't "get" it, and may never "get" it. What's the next step? Oh, hide your gun (CCDW). What if you can't get a CCDW and you're forced to OC 100% of the time? Will you just stop carrying and protecting yourself and her because she's worried about what others might think, or (God forbid) a child might ask their parents a question about your gun?
Take it easy Dave, my wife thought the very same way when I started carrying. And the re-assurances from other members of this forum helped a lot, and I'm grateful. Getting someone used to firearms and carrying is something that takes time... for someone who has never been around firearms before, and only knowing what they hear from the anti-gun bullshit news media, it takes time to undue the myths. You were lucky in the fact that your beautiful wife (ILove2Shoot) got you interested in guns, which turned out to save your life.... Thank God!!

Futhermore, (no offense ladies) we all know that most women are more concerned with appearances and what others think of them than the personal safety aspect.
dave_in_delaware wrote:..... I feel very strongly about the subject......
As well you should Sir!!! You have a unique perspective on the subject that I pray none of us ever have to live through.. but just keep in mind the fact that a toddler has to crawl before it can walk.... JMHO.
 #41655  by radnor

Will have to post info on the next Women on Target class. Guessing 1st quarter 2011. Women teaching women. Maybe that will help too.
 #41656  by Christopher518

dave_in_delaware wrote:
Christopher518 wrote:... she said she doesn't really like the idea of kids seeing the gun and asking the parents questions.
Um, what? Your fiancee doesn't want parents honestly answering their own kids' questions about guns? Is she for real? I guess she doesn't want kids and parents to talk about anything "real" like sex, protection, bad people, etc? No offense to your fiancee, but that's one of the dumbest things I've seen said about guns and kids.
Christopher518 wrote:She would prefer that I get me ccdw and just conceal carry when she is with me, which is no problem and I understand she works with kids and is worried that we might see one of them out one day.
And what if she did see a child out there? The kid sees your gun, the kids might ask questions, you answer them honestly, you all go about your business. What's so difficult about that?
Christopher518 wrote:Has anyone ever encountered a situation where a kid has noticed your weapon and approached you or had the parents approach you?
I've had plenty of kids see my weapon. Some blurt out "Gun!" and others quietly tell/show their parents. I've never had any parent come up to me and question me about it. They probably just tell their kids that I'm a cop, since i'm sure many do not know that OC is lawful. I don't worry about it.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh to your fiancee, but you know what? If she's so worried about what OTHERS will think of you carrying, then she just doesn't "get" it, and may never "get" it. What's the next step? Oh, hide your gun (CCDW). What if you can't get a CCDW and you're forced to OC 100% of the time? Will you just stop carrying and protecting yourself and her because she's worried about what others might think, or (God forbid) a child might ask their parents a question about your gun?

Now is the time to think about what's important to you. I know your fiancee is important, but so is protecting her via carrying a gun. Hopefully the two will become compatible (fiancee + you carry), but what if it doesn't?

I'm living proof that crime can happen to anyone, at any time, anywhere. I know that if I wasn't OCing that one fateful night that I would be dead right now. If I was unarmed, I'd be dead. And if I was concealing, I'd be dead. I hope your fiancee comes around soon, and doesn't prevent you from protecting her or yourself someday.

Oh, and by the way, I have three younger children (about 8, 6.5, and 5 when I started carrying) of my own who used to ask me questions about why I carry a gun. I answered them honestly and bluntly. I'm not shielding them from the real world. They need to know that there are evil people out there that would think nothing of hurting their Daddy or them, so I carry to protect myself and them in case someone tries to hurt us. They also know the gun safety rules and never to touch a gun if they ever find one. I believe that if you take the mystery and "no no" value away from guns and teach your children about them up front, they won't be tempted to learn about guns the hard way (and we all know what that could include).

I hope I haven't offended you or your fiancee, but this is a lifestyle we've all chosen. There isn't a safe compromise when it comes to protecting ourselves or our loved ones, and I feel very strongly about the subject. I hope your fiancee comes around and realizes that you carrying, especially open, is the best thing for her.
She is okay with it now. We had a long talk about it once we came home because it was still bothering me. I refuse to stop carrying just because she doesn't like it. I think just that initial first time out with me carrying was a little weird for her because even though she wasn't carrying she felt the "neon sign".
 #41657  by dave_in_delaware

Christopher518 wrote:She is okay with it now. We had a long talk about it once we came home because it was still bothering me. I refuse to stop carrying just because she doesn't like it. I think just that initial first time out with me carrying was a little weird for her because even though she wasn't carrying she felt the "neon sign".
That's good news to hear! I'm sorry if I came down on you and your fiancee kind of hard. That wasn't my intention. I'm just really passionate about carrying and protecting yourself and your family, I was afraid that your fiancee was trying to talk you out of it using "what others will think" logic (when "others" aren't responsible for your safety in the first place).

I'm glad you two discussed it and worked it out. Maybe she'll start shooting, too, and join the ranks of DELOC someday!
 #41658  by Christopher518

dave_in_delaware wrote:
Christopher518 wrote:She is okay with it now. We had a long talk about it once we came home because it was still bothering me. I refuse to stop carrying just because she doesn't like it. I think just that initial first time out with me carrying was a little weird for her because even though she wasn't carrying she felt the "neon sign".
That's good news to hear! I'm sorry if I came down on you and your fiancee kind of hard. That wasn't my intention. I'm just really passionate about carrying and protecting yourself and your family, I was afraid that your fiancee was trying to talk you out of it using "what others will think" logic (when "others" aren't responsible for your safety in the first place).

I'm glad you two discussed it and worked it out. Maybe she'll start shooting, too, and join the ranks of DELOC someday!
She already does shoot. She actually just bought her first gun a few months ago so this is all new to her. She wasn't brought up around guns so she has been taking baby steps into everything. I am sure after a little while she will start OCing. Now worries I understand your feelings on the topic. I actually told her your story when we got home and had a longer talk about me OCing. I think that helped her to understand.
 #41711  by Christopher518

OCed last night to Michaels and Super G. At Michaels I just wondered around while the fiance grabbed what she needed. I noticed a few people give a double take. When we were at Super G I don't think anyone even batted an eye. All and all it was a normal trip nothing out of the ordinary.