You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #50789  by John_P

or as it should be called -- "Baby Steps"

First a little background; I started 'lurking' on the forum last fall and signed-on and introduced myself in January. Since then I have completed the application process for CCDW and am awaiting my license.

On to Open Carry

Twice last month I OCed (sort of). First time it was only to the range to fire off some rounds with both the .45 and the Garand. While the M1 was in the locked back of the pick-up I had the .45 either on the seat beside me or in the holster, cocked and locked, all the time I was not firing it. OK, not much of an OC, but as I said, 'baby steps'. Next time I went to the range and then stopped at Royal Farms for gas... pay at the pump... but there were other people around and they could have seen me :)

Yesterday I decided to move to the next level and OCed during my errands in Seaford and Bridgeville. Put the .45 on my hip and went to Lowe's in Seaford to make a return and pick-up some items. Had to wait for 10 minutes as the guy in front of me returned at least 100 pipe fittings (isn't that always the case with plumbing jobs). When it was my turn the girl at the register did a very quick glance and then returned to processing my return. We had a nice chat (I'm sure I've seen her before since I spend so much money there I should have my own parking spot) and I moved on to shopping. Wandered all thorough lawn and garden and plumbing supply with out any notice including one clerk whom I asked where they kept a certain item. Checked out and went on to Tractor Supply near Bridgeville. Again had a nice chat with the girl at the register and could not tell if she even noticed. Next to the range to fire off some rounds and put a box of ammo through a bolt action .22 I've had since I was a teen-ager. Left there and went to the Food Lion to pick-up some items. Wandered all over the store and no one seemed to notice even the girl at the register.

Overall a good first experience and I'm sure I'll do it again.
 #50803  by JägerMatthias

Well done. Glad you enjoyed your first experience. Most OCers will tell you that it gets easier as you go.

Say, have you ever gotten a chance to attend one of the monthly meetings? It would be nice to meet you in person, plus it's a really good opportunity if you'd like to ask questions or hear some of our experiences. Congratulations on your first OC!
 #50806  by jslacker

:applause: Congrats on your first OC.
 #50811  by myopicvisionary

Before you know it, it will feel odd when you're NOT carrying!
 #50816  by scampbell3

I can tell you that this is not the first time the Lowe's and Tractor Supply in Seaford have seen OC'ers
;) ;) ;)

Chip
 #57107  by John_P

Well, I guess it's time to dust this off a little. I haven't posted here often since I don't OC all the time, but when I do nothing seems to happen.

Although, that said, I did have a guy working at Lowe's in Seaford ask, "is that a .45?" to which I answered, "yes it is." This opened up a conversation on pistols and his desire to get into Cowboy Shooting.

But recently I have been out and about some more and I'll just list the places I have OC'ed and anything interesting that happened:

Stopped in at Branchy's Gun Shop this week; never a problem OCing there.

I was in Georgetown checking on a house I'm trying to sell and stopped by 16 Mile Brewery to get a growler filled. The owner's eyes got real big when he saw the Colt but he never said anything.

Had lunch at Dogfish Head in Rehoboth. Sat next to the manager at the bar and had a nice chat. Nothing said about the Colt. (Although, to be fair, he was sitting on my weak side)

Advance Auto Parts in Seaford. Only the kid behind me in line seemed to notice.

Stopped at the Entenmann's bakery outlet to get bread and such. Not a word from staff or other customers.

Walgreen's in Bridgeville. Four workers were at the front and although at least two looked, nothing was said. There was an announcement on the PA -- Manager to the front -- while I was checking out, but this was to fix a recept printer that was jammed.

So, as I said, nothing much to report. At least not in Slower Lower Delaware.

John
 #57122  by georgie c

:?: be carefull of carrying at the bar or bar area of a resterant .i believe it is not allowed. the rest of you please weigh in on this. t.y.
 #57126  by JägerMatthias

Georgie, no such restriction exists in DE law. You may be thinking of another state, though....

Carry in bars, taverns, liquor stores, wineries, hooters, whatever. It's legit.
 #57129  by georgie c

according to "TRAVELERS GUIDE TO THE FIREARM LAWS OF THE FIFTY STATES" carry is only permitted in the dinning area of resterants and not the bar area or a place which is mainly a bar in de.
 #57132  by Mr.Skellington

georgie c wrote:according to "TRAVELERS GUIDE TO THE FIREARM LAWS OF THE FIFTY STATES" carry is only permitted in the dinning area of resterants and not the bar area or a place which is mainly a bar in de.
There is no such law prohibiting carry in bars, however just this year Gov.Markell passed his antigun legislation which makes carrying while under the influence a misdemeanor. Visibly carrying while at a bar may cause problems if an officer finds RAS of being in violation of the new law to stop you.