You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #58821  by JayAlex

I purchased my first firearm on Saturday. I'm taking my CCDW course on the 11th. I had no idea Delaware was an open carry state until I ran into a friend of mine paintballing.

With that news I decided to purchase a holster and give it a try.
I went into Walmart -- A lot of people looking at me weird but not bad. I had on a shirt and tie so to some I actually looked as if I had an attached authority with it.

From three, I went into Pats Pizza...

I'm still a little nervous, but we'll see how the remaining days progress!!
 #58826  by myopicvisionary

Um, just wondering. Since you bought it on Saturday, how many rounds; of the ammunition you plan on carrying, did you fire to ensure both the firearm's reliabilty, accuracy and your familiarity and comfort?
 #58827  by rmalec

Congrats man. The first OC is always the one you remember.

Have you taken the gun down yet and inspected all the guts and such? Get rid of that terrible oil most places use? Shoot the gun at all? Doing these things pre-OC is pretty crucial to keep yourself and others around you safe.

And your right on appearance. Quite a few times I have OC'ed in a shirt and tie and been called "detective" or gotten the wave, or nod. Then I go out in jeans and get ignored.

Anyways, good luck with your upcoming CCDW class.
 #58833  by JayAlex

This isn't my first firearm, or shooting, this is just the first time I've OC'd. I went straight to the range to get a pretty good feel and to get comfortable ran through a lot of ammo. It's a Gloc 30 FS. It's is completely COMPLETELY different than what I was use to with my 38 Special. I've yet to take it down, honestly didn't even think about it until reading your post. (will be doing that tonight) The ammunition I carry now is .45 Cal Hallow Tip.

Thanks guys, any info and suggestions are definitely appreciated.
 #58834  by Condition1

JayAlex wrote:This isn't my first firearm, or shooting, this is just the first time I've OC'd. I went straight to the range to get a pretty good feel and to get comfortable ran through a lot of ammo. It's a Gloc 30 FS. It's is completely COMPLETELY different than what I was use to with my 38 Special. I've yet to take it down, honestly didn't even think about it until reading your post. (will be doing that tonight) The ammunition I carry now is .45 Cal Hallow Tip.

Thanks guys, any info and suggestions are definitely appreciated.

If it is a new Glock, DON'T remove the cooper grease it comes from factory. At this point all you want to do is to put one drop of oil on the trigger bar connector (on the frame), and put a drop of oil on your fingers and rub around the barrel (hood and lugs). Depending on how much you shot you might want to put one small drop of oil on each side of the rail (DON'T remove the cooper grease).
 #58849  by bluedog46

condition my Glock was used but whats the deal with the cooper grease?

Is this something I need to be putting one mine?
 #58854  by Condition1

bluedog46 wrote:condition my Glock was used but whats the deal with the cooper grease?

Is this something I need to be putting one mine?
The cooper grease is an anti-seizing compound applied at the factory for long term storage and "break-in." It is recommended to leave in there until naturally disappears - usually around 200-300 rounds.

No, you should not put it on your Glock. It comes from factory and once it goes away all you need is one drop of oil on the rails.

I over-emphasised with capital letters because many people don't actually read the manual. If you do remove it, no big deal just lub normally. If you didn't remove leave it on until it wears off on its own.
 #59562  by JägerMatthias

Yes, I noticed my Glock 22 had the same thing. My firearms instructor from work (who has the exact same pistol) informed me about the shiny copper film that was on some of the interior parts of the weapon. I remember seeing it upon initial cleaning when I first got it. Cleaned the pistol again 600 rounds later, and it was already gone.