You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #3073  by dave_in_delaware

I also think these experiences help out many people:

- ourselves (by getting US used to carrying a gun)
- our significant others (by getting them used to us OCing)
- our children (by getting them used to us and others OCing)
- other citizens (by getting them used to people other than police OCing)
- other businesses (by getting them uised to serving and seeing others OCing)

It was definitely great OCing yesterday and last night, on our Independence Day!!
 #3074  by Wynder

dave_in_delaware wrote:It was definitely great OCing yesterday and last night, on our Independence Day!!
So sayeth Lonestar!
 #3080  by George

great speech,

:pointlaugh: my goosebumps stand at attention whenever I hear it
 #3537  by Wynder

Little bit of bad, little bit of good.

So, I go out this evening with the intention of heading off to A Piece of Ireland to play for a bit tonight. I hit the gas station to pick up a gallon of gas to tide me over until tomorrow when I hit my regular place that has 5 cent off Thursdays. While I'm pumping that one gallon, I get a guy who came up panhandling (I'm fairly certain he noticed I was carrying) and a couple of Asian guys at the next pump who were asking me questions about the mileage on my Prius.

So, I hit the pub, go in and setup. After playing for 40 minutes or so, a younger guy (maybe mid-20s) who was eating at the table next to me struck up a conversation:

Him: "I've gotta ask, are you into open carry, or do you work with a department?"

Me: "I actually open carry... How do you know about it."

Him: "I work for the City of Newark."

It was there that got me a bit confused -- I don't know if he meant he actually worked for the city or worked for their police department. He asked me if we ever had any issues, and I told him we've had one guy who was illegally detained, but outside of that, no issues.

He said that folks see someone with a gun and they think, "Oh, crap, he's got a gun, I better treat him like he can kill me," and I just said, "That's where they get the expression, 'An armed society is a polite society,' hoping to convey that, with regards to folks who might be inclined to aggress against someone, that they'll need the conviction of their words if the victim could fight back. He said, "Oh, absolutely."

After a tiny bit more small talk, I told him about the website and gave him a card, inviting him to stop by and say hello or drop by if he had any questions. He said, "You guys keep it up." I think he was genuinely supportive, but expressed what the generally have going through their mind.

Then, as I was leaving, the bartender called me over -- now, bear in mind that I've been acquaintances with him and the owners for quite some time. He asked me if I had my conceal license and if that was why I was carrying. I told him that I wasn't concealing, and he said, "Well, yeah, I know that, but you have a license?" I told him I did. He went on to very politely ask me to leave it in my car the next time because the owner felt uncomfortable. I smiled and nodded and left.

I'll probably wind up not going back there to play anyone -- after three years, it's time for me to move on to a more experienced group of people to keep my skills tight.

So, overall, it was a mixed night, but, on the whole, good enough.
 #3539  by dave_in_delaware

That's cool about the conversation you had. Sounds like he was positive and pro-OC...

I'd like to know why the owner didn't have the "boys" to tell you himself? Three years and NOW he has a problem? WTF? :censored:
 #3541  by myopicvisionary

I'd ask the owner personally why all of a sudden there is a problem. And that you would take your business (and ours) elsewhere.
 #3557  by George

dave_in_delaware wrote:That's cool about the conversation you had. Sounds like he was positive and pro-OC...

I'd like to know why the owner didn't have the "boys" to tell you himself? Three years and NOW he has a problem? WTF? :censored:
Rob has only been OCing for just over 1 year IIRC
 #3621  by Wynder

Hit 40/7 McDonalds play area with Dave_in_Delaware and his kids so my oldest could run around with his.

After that, I went home, and checked the mail -- got my commission from the Governor, so I hit Staples and OC'd in to order my stamp and embosser. Monday, I'll hit the Recorder of Deeds and the Prothonotary to register my commission.

So, after I get my stamp and embosser next week, if anyone needs a Notary for signature acknowledgments or loan signing, please keep me in mind! The statutory maximum fee is $5; however, for members of DELOC and my neighbors, I'll be charging $3 for standard services such as acknowledgments, jurats, affidavits and document copy authentication. Mobile Notary (Loan Signing) can run anywhere from $50-$125 for all services included, which I'll do for our community at $40.
 #3622  by dave_in_delaware

Wynder wrote:-- got my commission from the Governor,
Congratulations!!! I'm glad they "gave" you your commission. And your prices sound reasonable (for DELOC members). I'll definitely keep you in mind.
 #3655  by Wynder

I hit Rite Aid on 40/72 with my five year old to pick up some Tylenol for my two year old and some lactaid for my impending abdominal pain. After that, I headed over to Woodside Creamery to meet up with Dave and Carmen for a bit of ice cream. As we were walking out with our cups, Dave got a looooooong, hard look from a guy who just stared at his pistol as he walked by.

He told his wife, told a friend, and pretty much faced us the entire time. Outside of that, nothing big at all.