You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #72072  by jslacker

Indeed, that is an OC "faux pas" so to speak.
 #72122  by davidtor

Yea I understand. The gun is awesome! My next 2 guns I'm getting are the glock 23 gen 4 .40. And the Beretta 92A1 or 96A1 in a .40 also. Can't wait and I was looking at shotguns for home defense
 #72124  by bluedog46

davidtor wrote:Yea I understand. The gun is awesome! My next 2 guns I'm getting are the glock 23 gen 4 .40. And the Beretta 92A1 or 96A1 in a .40 also. Can't wait and I was looking at shotguns for home defense
Just out of curiosity do you have anything against the good old 9mm?
 #72140  by davidtor

No nothing at all against a 9mm lol . I just heard .40 has more stopping power and since I already have a 40 I'd rather stick with the same type. Haha. But I'm having trouble finding the Beretta in a 40 I only found a 92A1 at xring in a 9mm. :(
 #72143  by bluedog46

davidtor wrote:No nothing at all against a 9mm lol . I just heard .40 has more stopping power and since I already have a 40 I'd rather stick with the same type. Haha. But I'm having trouble finding the Beretta in a 40 I only found a 92A1 at xring in a 9mm. :(
Good point. PM viper98 about that gun you are looking for. He is on the board and will treat you right. hell of a guy as well.

I actually started with 9mm then got bit by the 1911 bug and got 45 acp. I was actually thinking of a 1911 in 40 because the ammo is cheaper, but I ended up with the 45.

40 is a good choice as well. hell in this day an age just about any caliber from 9mm up is good.
 #72162  by Jonnybow

Hold on, did you guys really let the fact that this guy hadn't even fired the weapon once before wearing it on his hip slide by with little attention?
The biggest gripe I have with the few folks I have had interaction with while OCing is the simple stuff. I'm talking about firearm safety, lack of firearm knowledge and then there's this, not having a clue if the gun will even cycle a round BUT having it on your hip. WTF?
I truly believe that EVERYONE who decides to carry a weapon should have to receive formal training. You have to have formal training to operate a motorcycle, operate a car, fly a plane, carry concealed..................

I mean, carrying a weapon is for your safety and the safety of your friends and family. Why the hell would you carry if you have no idea if the weapon will even work if you should need it to? Might as well just have a club or big stick. ridiculous.
 #72164  by Frank

Jonnybow, I agree with you, but it is a really sticky issue. Your rights and freedoms versus your competetency.
 #72165  by bmel17

Jonnybow wrote:Hold on, did you guys really let the fact that this guy hadn't even fired the weapon once before wearing it on his hip slide by with little attention?
The biggest gripe I have with the few folks I have had interaction with while OCing is the simple stuff. I'm talking about firearm safety, lack of firearm knowledge and then there's this, not having a clue if the gun will even cycle a round BUT having it on your hip. WTF?
I truly believe that EVERYONE who decides to carry a weapon should have to receive formal training. You have to have formal training to operate a motorcycle, operate a car, fly a plane, carry concealed..................

I mean, carrying a weapon is for your safety and the safety of your friends and family. Why the hell would you carry if you have no idea if the weapon will even work if you should need it to? Might as well just have a club or big stick. ridiculous.
Give the OP some credit as he came here for advice and as far as I can garner, is welcoming it. I'm sure that a welcoming tone with advice on correction to his method rather than chastising will encourage the OP to be more safe. Many people are new to firearms wouldn't know these things Jonnybow....

As far as requirements- Put more restrictions and make it harder for citizens to exercise their rights? Maybe a competency test for voting? It's either freedom or not and once you head down the wrong slope it's hard to return.... to those ideas of your's I am dumbfounded. I'm a labeled liberal, "the so-called enemy" and I think that is a bad idea for gun rights.
 #72166  by jslacker

bmel17 wrote:Give the OP some credit as he came here for advice and as far as I can garner, is welcoming it. I'm sure that a welcoming tone with advice on correction to his method rather than chastising will encourage the OP to be more safe. Many people are new to firearms wouldn't know these things Jonnybow....
X2 I agree. But I can certainly see both sides of this argument.
 #72168  by astro_wanabe

Jonnybow wrote:Hold on, did you guys really let the fact that this guy hadn't even fired the weapon once before wearing it on his hip slide by with little attention?

Having 1 round fire and the second fail to cycle is still 1 more round fired in his defense than if he wasn't carrying at all, and if it fails completely it's still a lot more threatening than just pointing his finger going bang bang! How about you quit whining, be glad he's willing to carry in the first place, and give some CONSTRUCTIVE help! Sheesh!