You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #7985  by j.gorum9mm.

i am annoyed that it happened the way it did.the officer did try not to embarass me,but i couldnt help feeling a little embarassed paying for my items under the watchful eye of a police officer. i truley felt like a criminal. i understand they have a job to do and they dont want criminals openly carrying a hand gun but commen sense would tell you a criminal wouldn't do that.publishing an article is a good idea and a good start,but there needs to be something significant about it that would ensure that nearly every, single,breathing, delaware resident and/or police officer would see,and understand the law.that seems to me to be the only way to keep incedents like this from happening.after last night i feel like i need to protect myself from police more than i do from armed criminals by not protecting myself from the other.if that makes any sense at all,please let me know.the charges for dissorderly conduct probably wouldn't stick but the idea of sitting in a jail cell waiting on bail,then sitting in a court room waiting on a verdict are not pleasent thoughts.then again neither is going through a car in a dark parking lot,when someone comes up behind me and sticks a gun in my ribs.(dave)so i'm really conflicted on the whole situation.someone please put my mind at ease and let me know what i could do to avoid this in the future without giving up my gun.
 #7987  by DSF Training

j.gorum9mm. wrote:okay i had my first LEO encounter last night.i went to food lion in selbyville(as usual)to buy some soda while my uncle is visiting from va. for some reason i felt more nervous than usual. after getting my items i got in the check out line, a couple of kids somewhere between the ages of i'd say 16-19 were in front of me.one of them was fascinated with the fact i was oc'ing and was starting to ask about it when i felt a tap on my arm. as i turned around i was surprised to see a uniformed selbyville police officer who immidiatley asked for i.d. i then handed him my military i.d. and drivers licence,to which he replied "where is your carry permit?" i then told him that "i did not need a carry permit to oc in delaware."he insisted that i did but decided to check into it,and allowed me to pay for my items,and meet him outside.i explained to him that it was legal to carry openly,i also told him about del oc,and that i was planning on getting a ccdw.he was very professional and courtious,he even allowed me to disarm myself so he could hold the weapon.he sat in his car,and i sat in mine as he investigated further.after about 20 minitues or so he stepped out and told me he could still not determine if it was legal and asked me to follow him in my car to the pd. at this point i was no longer nervous but concerned because he told me if he could not prove the firearm was mine he would need to hold it until i could produce the registration. once we arrived i sat in the lobby while he dug deeper into the laws.15 minitues or so he returned with whom i later learned was the chief of police. the chief then informed me that indeed it was legal to oc however he could very well charge me with dissorderly conduct if he so chose to. there were a few moments when i thought he might prove good on that but it turned out he is a firearms instructor and strong beliver in the 2nd. amndmnt.he did not approve of oc but did seem to understand why i chose to. both the chief and the other officer were very respectful and i even joked around with them a little bit. i respect what they do and understand why they had to ensure i was on the straight edge. they returned my weapon,and i decided that i should persue my ccdw and only oc when if i feel it nessacary for my protection.they did however contact my n.g. unit who called me in for a conversation which at this point i will keep confidential. all in all it was a good/bad experiance i dont want to go through again.
Holy Shit! :o
You and I need to talk! So much BS on the part of the police!
"he insisted that i did but decided to check into it" BS Let me just say that I've have spoke with a couple DSP and they know OC in legal but they won't be the one to agree!
"until i could produce the registration" No such paper work!!
"he even allowed me to disarm" Wrong more!!
"i decided that i should persue my ccdw and only oc when if i feel it nessacary for my protection" Well maybe your right on this one.....Lets say Thursday at about 8pm you may need to OC then for your protection but not on Friday and and now that I think about it not on Saturday ether.Hmmmm.........NOT!
If you feel that you need to protect yourself when your out and about then OC and the next time something like that happens "take name's"..
Guess who will be OCing the next time he pasts through Selbyville? ;)
 #7989  by LordJim

he would need to hold it until i could produce the registration.
Lately I'm seeing this more and more . . . Let's all say it out loud: There is no registration. This is not the PRNJ and there is no registration. None.
however he could very well charge me with dissorderly conduct if he so chose to.
As has already been mentioned, disorderly conduct requires intent. At a minimum that arrest is going to cost the local PD time and resources that I suspect are already stretched thin. At a maximum it could cost them dearly in the form of a civil suit.

-
Jim
 #7991  by LordJim

I agree and I'm on board with whatever method of getting the word out would work best. Fortunately most of the run-ins with law enforcement by members here have turned out ok in the end, but they have certainly been harassed and embarrased in the process. And no publicity has come from any incident either to further help get the message out.
A while back I had started the task of drafting a letter to be sent to the local police departments, unfortunately it seems that I no longer have the time necessary to complete that task. Anyone who's interested in picking up where I left off is more than welcome to the little bit of work that I started.

-
Jim
 #8014  by myopicvisionary

In Delaware, registration of firearms is strictly voluntary!
 #8024  by cappilot06

myopicvisionary wrote:In Delaware, registration of firearms is strictly voluntary!

Who in their right mind would volunteer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 #8030  by j.gorum9mm.

i will say this,when he asked for the registration the first thing that came to my mind was "huh?" i didn't know such paperwork existed so i just assumed it was a delaware thing.now that i'm hearing people don't have them in delaware either it makes me wonder how many mwg calls they get in selbyville.hearing everyones reaction is starting to piss me off now,maybe i should go buy some soda today..lol
 #8032  by stephpd

The closest we have to a 'registration' is when you purchase a gun at the gun store. They call the DSP and FBI for background checks. And if I'm not mistaken you have to fill out some paperwork that the store keeps. Other then a receipt I don't remember any paperwork that I could produce that would satisfy the police. And I don't think I kept the receipts.

And private sales of all guns are allowed in this state. No restrictions like some states.That includes handguns, rifles and shotguns. It's one of the best ways to screw with the illegal gun 'registration or database' that the police keep. Older guns aren't even in this database so the government has no idea about those either.

So, if you are walking and openly carrying a gun you are under no obligation to produce your 'papers'. All you are required to do is provide your name if asked. You don't have to produce a drivers license, CCDW or owners papers for any gun.

And if stopped in a vehicle while carrying concealed you don't have to inform them about the gun. Now if they ask you to step out of the car you might want to inform them that you in fact are CCDWing and have a license. Ask them how they would like to proceed.
 #8033  by j.gorum9mm.

when he asked for the registration i actually did have my receipt in my wallet.i thought that thing might come in handy.it may not have been required to produce it or even have it but i feel it may have worked in my favor to have it.
 #8035  by dougrodg

I wonder if they would not have returned your firearm had you not had the receipt with you!