You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #84457  by DEhammerhead

First of all I would like to thank everyone on this board for giving me the push I needed to open carry. Tonight I got off work and while running some errands around 8PM I decided to open carry. I am carrying a Glock 33 on a Glock sportster holster. I intend on taking my concealed to carry course but after reading everyone's long wait. I decided to start carrying openly now. I went into my local Walmart of course because I heard that is the way to go when you first start to open carry lol. No issues. I did get a few looks and nods but nothing crazy. I was still in my work clothes which is actually a button-down blue shirt and black pants nice dress shoes and a tie. I then went to Exxon to fill up my car with gasoline. It was busy there and a dump truck pulled up with three men in there. The men went inside and made a purchase. The whole time I was still filling up my car. As they were coming out of the store one of the men started to walk towards me and almost as if my gun shined a strobe light in his face he stopped and walked the other direction. I don't know if he was planning on asking me for directions, a cigarette, or anything else, but he did not ask me anything and that I was very happy about. All in all, I feel safer and that is a good feeling.
 #84475  by TexasJay

Good job. Eventually you won't even care (or notice) the "looks". Occasionally someone will speak up and actually ask a question "are you a cop, do you need a license to carry" etc. Just be prepared to answer their questions and inform them of their freedoms. I'd suggest getting some open carry flyers (I think there's a sticky on them, maybe another member could provide a link) and sticking them in your jacket pocket for such occasions.

All in all congrats on popping your OC cherry. Feels good to exercise your god given rights doesn't it? :)
 #87202  by DEhammerhead

I have continued to open carry around Milford with no problems. The other night I went to get some Chinese food and the young girl ( family owned place) was fixated on my glock 33... Gave my name and she was like... Um, what?... I made sure to be extra nice in case she was nervous.

On to my question...... Leaving, two guys tried to hold the door for me and I had a big bag of food in both hands... Putting them right next to my gun , with out a free hand. I felt uncomfortable, but aware, and even turned to face them to get my gun off to the side some.. And away from them.. How do you guys handle that? Just awareness? Do you spin around and walk backward to keep the gun away? Just curious... It was a small place and it made me really observant that I was in a tricky situation. I would never want to drop good Chinese food to go for my gun !! :ugeek: