You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #86144  by Taurus247

5-25-13:

First time open carrying today. When to the Lowes in Lewes and I figured with all of the out of towners in this weekend I would get a lot of stares but no one seemed to notice. After awhile I stopped even looking to see if people were noticing. Same with the ACE hardware and Walgreens in Milton. Went up north later to meet with Viper and on my way stopped at Wawa. On the way in I actually heard a guy say "yes" when he saw me. Thought it might be someone from here that was happy to see a fellow OCer. He stopped me when I was at the ATM and asked if it was legal to OC in Delaware without a license. I responded yes and he told me that he has been OC for years in PA and asked if it is legal in a vehicle again I said yes however it has to be in the open like on your dash. He asked if it was legal for him to carry his 12 gauge sawed off, that he OCed in PA in his car. Told him no that it has to be unloaded while in your vehicle. He thanked me and went on his way. He even waved to me as he left. All and all a good first day.

Actually the only negative response I got was from my mother who asked "You don't carry that thing in public do you?!?" Yes mom I do :D
 #86152  by outrun

Taurus247 wrote:5-25-13:
He asked if it was legal for him to carry his 12 gauge sawed off, that he OCed in PA in his car. :D
This stakes of your answer are Federal felony charges, and your wording makes no sense on whether yours or his remarks were a joke or serious advice. Furthermore, no reference was made by you or him as to the length of this afforementioned "sawed off [shotgun]."

"Any other weapon. Any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition (§ 479.11)."

Thus, pursuant to Title 27, Chapter II, Subchapter B, Part 479 (§ 479.11) of the National Firearms Act, this shortened shotgun of unknown length could be defined as an "any other weapon" or AOW, requiring BATFE registration and a tax stamp regardless of your carry method. Furthermore, diligence is imperative to confirm, verify, and then advise anyone on PA, DE or XX State or US Protectorate laws on the possession of short-barrelled rifles/shotguns.

Seriously, as practioners and defenders of the natural human right to keep and bear arms we need to do much better in our communications. Express apologies to other reviewers for not citing the base United States Codes by which the BATFE formed thier definitions, but the above referenced §479.11 is sufficient for basics.
 #86156  by Taurus247

I was not gonna get into the details with him. He stated it was a shot gun so I told him to the best of my knowledge what the Delaware laws are on shot guns. I am not a lawyer and will never give anyone advice that could lead them to believe i am. I only tell people what I know and to look it up for them selves. That should be the way everyone should handle any situation unless you are a lawyer and plan to go to court to defend them and what you said. At the most tell someone what you know the law to be and encourage them to look it up and if you have something printed that says what the law is give it to them. But for your own safety I would not tell anyone anything that could possible come back to bite you.
 #86460  by Taurus247

JägerMatthias wrote:Well, congratulations on your first OC! :applause:

Going back out anytime soon?
Just about every day. :pbjtime:
 #86470  by Taurus247

JägerMatthias wrote:Neat-o. Getting any easier? Or more comfortable?
Depends on the situation. I seems to be getting easier but then like last night I passed a group of people that were sitting out side the Dollar General in Milford and they had to have seen my pistol so I was waiting for my first MWAG call. Luckly nothing.
 #86862  by Taurus247

Received my authorization to open carry letter from the Dover Chief of Police today. Took about 2 weeks. Ill update the next time I carry in Dover as to if anything happens.
 #86868  by Trapper

I carry in and around Dover all the time. I think the police have been well informed about the increase of people getting permits from the chief. As for the people of Dover, I think most of them walk around in condition white, oblivious to those around them. I've gotten a few looks but I just make eye contact with them and say good morning (afternoon/evening) and ask how are you. I try to be cordial and they usually just walk away. I think it is shock because I'm not the wild eyed racist crazy person that the media tells them that I am.
 #88839  by Taurus247

Haven't post in awhile but i OC every time I leave the house. Had a interesting/non-interesting encounter the other day in Milford.

First I walked up to a Milford cop who was entering subway and told her that we had just got there and their were 3 girls who are obviously drunk who are locked out of their car and have an open can of beer sitting on their center console. she asked if I saw them driving I said no and she said ok and walked away. She was as interested in the drunk women as the gun on my side.

Then went to the Liquor store in the same shopping center and after walking around for awhile I grabbed what beer i needed and went to pay. Everything went fine and then the other cashier (think he was the owner or manager) walked over and asked if I was a cop or security guard? I said no I just open carry. He said o ok I just wanted to know for if you come in again. Told him I would definitely be back and left with no issues.