You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #88547  by mdak06

I open carried for the first time a couple days ago. Went to a local CVS and then a Harris Teeter. It was uneventful, although I think the HT cashier did a double-take as I was leaving. The pharmacy tech I talked to at CVS either didn't notice or didn't care. I was a bit nervous at first, and then was more relaxed for the second store.

I probably won't OC again until I've practiced drawing my firearm more. I'd like to be more confident in drawing and using it should the need arise. I also need to get a couple new holsters (I'm not thrilled with the one I have, and my second gun doesn't have one yet) ... but I need some more $$ before I get new equipment.

Probably won't OC the rest of the summer, but will start again sometime this fall. Given how many tourists my area gets, I'd rather be experienced and prepared to chat with folks about OC before I carry regularly in front of tourists. Hopefully by then I'll also be a bit lighter (although I've got a ways to go) and more comfy carrying.

- Chip (another one)
 #88550  by myopicvisionary

Practice drawing and dry firing your pistol everyday.
 #88561  by DMac

I've been open carrying in the Rehoboth, Lewes, Dewey area for over five years now and I've never had a problem. I've been in many, many stores and restaurants, on the avenue and the boardwalk with never one issue. I believe that all of the LEOs in the area are very well trained about OC, and who cares about the tourists? So carry with confidence.
 #88562  by scampbell3

+1

Just like DMac, we are in the beach area frequently both during the moron season and off season. We OC 100% of the time and have never had a problem with tourists or locals.

Chip
 #89433  by mdak06

Walked around a few Rehoboth outlets (Under Armour, VF, Kitchen Connection) last night. No issues. Nobody seemed to notice and/or care, as far as I saw.

Also stopped by a Dunkin Donuts to hang out with olllloJeepin - got too late for Starbucks (they get plenty of my business; I'll thank 'em another day). The DD folks didn't give us any problems.

This was my second time OC'ing in Delaware ... I was a bit less nervous this time, although it still feels a bit odd. I'm still working on the SA - trying to observe everything without being completely obvious about it. I guess it's a skill that needs to be practiced like any other.
 #90150  by mdak06

Been practicing more with the drawing / dry firing. It definitely helps; it makes it feel more comfortable and natural.

OC'd at a few places in Rehoboth this evening (Starbucks, Casual Male, Wal-Mart, Popeyes). Nothing eventful about any of 'em.

FWIW, I checked for ammo at the Wal-Mart. I looked at the shelves and didn't even find a sticker indicating the price of .40 ammo. Found a guy who often is the one unloading the ammo from the truck; he said he can't ever recall receiving .40 ammo there (bummer for me). They did have some boxes of 9mm and .45 when I was there though.
 #92727  by mdak06

OC'd a bit in Sussex, at a store, a diner, and a few other locations. No issues to report. Had a real nice chat with a local business owner in Frankford about OC in DE. I mentioned this site to him and he said that he had taken a look before, and I think he said he would do so again.

I definitely plan to get some training under some of the DELOC folks once I'm able to scrape together a bit more $$. I'm still going to a range occasionally and practice dry-firing often. Aim is getting better.
 #92743  by spillanej

mdak06 wrote:Been practicing more with the drawing / dry firing. It definitely helps; it makes it feel more comfortable and natural.

OC'd at a few places in Rehoboth this evening (Starbucks, Casual Male, Wal-Mart, Popeyes). Nothing eventful about any of 'em.

FWIW, I checked for ammo at the Wal-Mart. I looked at the shelves and didn't even find a sticker indicating the price of .40 ammo. Found a guy who often is the one unloading the ammo from the truck; he said he can't ever recall receiving .40 ammo there (bummer for me). They did have some boxes of 9mm and .45 when I was there though.
Try to do some regular training in presentation in close quarters as well. The video I'm posting was made by the best instructor I've ever had, shows the method of the 5-stage presentation which was originally created with muzzle awareness in mind. He shows in the short video the two points you want to engage from for long and close range combat.

#94729  by mdak06

spillanej, thanks for the video link. I like that method of draw. I've tried it out a bit - I'll practice more often.

I've open carried several times over the last month or so. Nothing too crazy to talk about. No wild-eyed looks, as far as I saw.

I did hear an interesting comment at a Royal Farms employee south of Dover; after seeing my holster on my left side, he said "a lefty, huh?" I smiled and told him it was only for shooting (I'm right-hand dominant and left-eye dominant). Had a nice brief conversation. It's always fun to have those encounters.
 #94731  by spillanej

mdak06 wrote:spillanej, thanks for the video link. I like that method of draw. I've tried it out a bit - I'll practice more often.

I've open carried several times over the last month or so. Nothing too crazy to talk about. No wild-eyed looks, as far as I saw.

I did hear an interesting comment at a Royal Farms employee south of Dover; after seeing my holster on my left side, he said "a lefty, huh?" I smiled and told him it was only for shooting (I'm right-hand dominant and left-eye dominant). Had a nice brief conversation. It's always fun to have those encounters.
Cross dominance can be a pain.. Two techniques to help if you are having trouble:
1. Aim with your weak eye but with both eyes opened. You should keep both open when shooting anyway. Close your strong eye for a split second when acquiring the target to prevent seeing "ghost" targets.
2. Angle the sights into your left eye from your right side. This is difficult for most newer shooters because everything you've learned about grip and stances goes out the window.

In defensive gun use though, if you are worrying about your grip you aren't shooting, and if you are taking any stance you can learn... you aren't moving. 4 main rules of a gunfight: bring a gun, shoot, move, and communicate.