You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #94736  by frankdawsonjr

Thats a great video...Thanks for posting it. I too am gonna practice it!
 #94740  by mdak06

Cross-dominance is a bit odd, but I've got enough control over my left hand that it really isn't much of an issue for me to shoot left-handed. I've used my left hand most of the time when I've been to a range, so it seems pretty normal now.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is that since my right hand is stronger than my left, it's easier to shoot one-handed with the right hand vs. the left hand. Hopefully I can build up more strength with my left hand so that it won't be an issue. When I occaisonally practice one-handed and use the right hand, I tilt my head to the side so I'm still using my left eye. It works well enough, I suppose.

I'll try to work more on shooting with both eyes open, but I've never been able to close just my left eye, for some reason. I can only wink my right eye.

Thanks for the tips!
 #94741  by spillanej

mdak06 wrote:Cross-dominance is a bit odd, but I've got enough control over my left hand that it really isn't much of an issue for me to shoot left-handed. I've used my left hand most of the time when I've been to a range, so it seems pretty normal now.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is that since my right hand is stronger than my left, it's easier to shoot one-handed with the right hand vs. the left hand. Hopefully I can build up more strength with my left hand so that it won't be an issue. When I occaisonally practice one-handed and use the right hand, I tilt my head to the side so I'm still using my left eye. It works well enough, I suppose.

I'll try to work more on shooting with both eyes open, but I've never been able to close just my left eye, for some reason. I can only wink my right eye.

Thanks for the tips!
I'm always happy to provide them! As a matter of opinion, when it counts... shooting one handed means he's too close to have to aim, just point and shoot ;)
 #94748  by SCUBA9097

spillanej, I'm glad you posted that video. I've seen so many "incorrect" drawing techniques that it makes my head spin. I make one very slight modification to the technique though. When performing the upstroke, I have always taught to bring the firearm up higher prior to the 90° rotation. This provides a bit more support and reduces the end "wobble" as you present on target. Admittedly, it's a bit difficult to explain in writing.

madak06, if you can find your way up to "the great white north" sometime, I'd like to offer you a free carry primer of sorts. We could spend the day going over a lot of the basics and techniques.
 #94749  by spillanej

SCUBA9097 wrote:spillanej, I'm glad you posted that video. I've seen so many "incorrect" drawing techniques that it makes my head spin. I make one very slight modification to the technique though. When performing the upstroke, I have always taught to bring the firearm up higher prior to the 90° rotation. This provides a bit more support and reduces the end "wobble" as you present on target. Admittedly, it's a bit difficult to explain in writing.

madak06, if you can find your way up to "the great white north" sometime, I'd like to offer you a free carry primer of sorts. We could spend the day going over a lot of the basics and techniques.
I completely agree! What I have taught (for free not as a business) I learned from that man in the video, it is tactical CQB for urban warfare training. A bit different from everyday DGU. Only a bit different, but the assumption is that your target is within arms reach, you will be killing today, and the individual learning has a high level of proficiency already.

I absolutely agree, I practice as in the video and with the longer pull, bringing my magwell to the 2nd or 3rd rib.

The primary reason to practice both: behind cover reaching too high extends your elbow out and may reveal where you will shoot from. In the open, getting the angle of attack too low gives you too little control, like you said and also makes it harder to aquire the sight picture and alignment.
 #94750  by SCUBA9097

I had seen a photo of you wearing an instructor patch, but I didn't know what it was in reference to. I wasn't aware you were a firearms instructor.

There is also a technique I teach for left hand dominate / right eye dominate (as I am) that can be used with one or two handed stances that won't disrupt the structure of the stance or grip which is a critical component.
 #94753  by spillanej

SCUBA9097 wrote:I had seen a photo of you wearing an instructor patch, but I didn't know what it was in reference to. I wasn't aware you were a firearms instructor.

There is also a technique I teach for left hand dominate / right eye dominate (as I am) that can be used with one or two handed stances that won't disrupt the structure of the stance or grip which is a critical component.
I am not a certified firearms instructor. I volunteer in the teaching of more combatics training... CQB, breaching/multiple entries, hyper violent weapons manipulation is the closest I get. In that class I teach how you will instinctively hold, move, and move with a weapon once the logic center of your brain turns off.

So generally more along the lines of tactics and strategy.
 #94825  by mdak06

spillanej wrote:As a matter of opinion, when it counts... shooting one handed means he's too close to have to aim, just point and shoot ;)
A fair point indeed. Hopefully I'll never be in a position where I'm forced to verify that.
SCUBA9097 wrote:madak06, if you can find your way up to "the great white north" sometime, I'd like to offer you a free carry primer of sorts. We could spend the day going over a lot of the basics and techniques.
Thank you very much ... I will take you up on that offer sometime. FWIW, I may be up in that area in a bit more than a week ... I will PM you when I know my schedule.

(And by the way, I lived in Alaska for a bit, so I'm not sure I can consider northern Delaware the "great white north" ;) ).
 #94849  by mdak06

Walked through South Bethany & Bethany Beach today, mostly along the highway. Went to a diner in town. I suspect nobody noticed ... although there really weren't too many people walking around. The employee I talked to for a while in the diner either didn't notice or didn't care.

FWIW, I suspect it's hard for people to see the gun when I'm walking down the road, since I'm facing traffic and the gun is roughly in the 8/9 o'clock position (so it's away from the traffic).
 #94861  by mdak06

Forgot to mention this from a few days ago ...

I went around to several stores looking for a pair of boots - a few in Rehoboth and then one in Millsboro (which is where I ended up buying a pair). One lady who helped me in a Rehoboth store seemed like she might have been a bit uncomfortable but didn't say anything about it. The other lady who helped me in Millsboro seemed totally fine with it (although she didn't say anything either).

Also went into the Starbucks [gasp] and Chick-fil-A in Rehoboth and the BJs in Millsboro. No obvious reactions from what I saw.

And why does my browser want to change "Rehoboth" to "Borehole?" :?