You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #99305  by Roach

Not saying what I did was the best idea. I made a judgement call. Was not the best decision , I missed the last 3 years of this event. I was not going to miss this one.

Not trying to make execuses, I understand what I did. I will take better action in the future. I did what I thought was best at that moment.

Which as per New York law I am allowed to travel through with the pistol loved in the trunk and mag stored away from the pistol.

I will post that soon, currently busy.
 #99312  by NCC

Roach, don't apologize. You made a judgement call (tactical decision?).

Like my mama used to say, look at the consequences and then make your decision. Then live with the outcome as you made it happen.
 #99314  by Boots

Roach wrote:... Which as per New York law I am allowed to travel through with the pistol loved in the trunk and mag stored away from the pistol.

I will post that soon, currently busy.
Please do. In my research I've never been able to find anything like that.
 #99315  by Boots

NCC wrote:... Like my mama used to say, look at the consequences and then make your decision. Then live with the outcome as you made it happen.
I think that's good advice.

But, especially when the consequences are severe, make sure your decision is based upon the best and most accurate information.

Too many good people have had their lives ruined by asinine gun laws in NJ and NY in just the past few years. I sure would hate to see something like that happen to one of our own. Especially to have someone lose precious freedoms while celebrating the life of someone who died defending those freedoms!
 #99316  by Roach

I do appreciate the concern and advice. I wasn't apologizing, just acknowledging the the items pointed out to me. I excel at learning, so from the postings here I will apply them to future decisions. For there are too many laws concerning firearms, I cannot remember them all. Which is one reason why I am on here. There are a few of you that know quite a bit. I want to be up to date. It is a somewhat of a rough transition from Marines to this life. I feel I have to explain every action. When before I was in a position of trust and authority. Just no common sense used in these states.

I was mistaken, it is not New York law but federal law of transporting a firearm.

United States Code Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 § 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
 #99317  by Boots

Roach wrote:I do appreciate the concern and advice.

I was mistaken, it is not New York law but federal law of transporting a firearm.

United States Code Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 § 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
Roach, that is known as FOPA. And, as I told you on page two of this thread, that does not cover what you did!

FOPA covers you when you must transport firearms Interstate "... from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm ...." You were not traveling to a place in NY where you could legally possess a firearm. Nor were you required to pass through NY in order to get to another state where you could legally possess a firearm. Therefore, you must abide by the laws of the state of NY while there.

The bottom line is that you had no legal reason or need to transport a firearm within the state of NY. FOPA was designed to protect people that had a legal reason and need to transport firearms through enemy territory. For example, whenever I travel south I need to pass through MD to get to where I'm going. FOPA is what protects me during that time.

Misunderstandings of the law like this are the kind of thing that can ruin your life, and that's why I'm so concerned. Never take one of your firearms into another state until you fully understand (as much as possible) the laws of that state and what you need to do to stay legal.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is important stuff!
 #99327  by Roach

Thank you everyone.

The New York courts have ruled not in the right of the people, but for the militia for whatever reason.
 #99331  by NCC

It is funny how things have changed throughout the years. (Now I sound like my grandfather.) In the 80's I lived in Va. Beach. My uncle, who is only 6 years older than I, and really more of a big brother, stopped by with his family once. They were going from SC to Nova Scotia using Rt. 13 for the entire trip.

I went out to his car to get something I had left in it, lifted up the armrest and there sat this black automatic. When I went back in the house I asked him about it, and then pointed out that it, and what he was doing was illegal on so many levels.

His response was simply, "They take the gun away from me and fine me $500, I can easily afford both when protecting my family." Now, that is certainly not the case now, and not really sure that it was even in the mid-1980s, but it is good advice that I took to heart and have always followed whenever the wife and I go on a driving vacation.

Fork New York.
 #99335  by WPCatfish

Boots wrote: I sure would hate to see something like that happen to one of our own.

Didnt' someone on here get slapped with a class 4 Felony in NY over something like this (fortunately, it was dismissed).