If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #26338  by George

You can get a copy of charges and dispositions, that would show If you were charged and the results of that charge. this would be a good thing as you never want open charges on your record. I would have thought a security co would want a copy of it anyway for bonding purposes.
 #26340  by cappilot06

myopicvisionary wrote:Guess I am going to have to start shopping at Target!
I shop in there at least once a week OC'ing and to date nothing has happened. I will have no problem having a discussion with officer DB...trust me.
 #26341  by stephpd

George wrote:You can get a copy of charges and dispositions, that would show If you were charged and the results of that charge. this would be a good thing as you never want open charges on your record. I would have thought a security co would want a copy of it anyway for bonding purposes.

I'm just wondering if this will show up on the record that we get to see or the one that we don't get to see. Much like the incident with Dave and the NCC police. Not on the official record but used against him when applying for his CCDW. It would seem that what we are allowed to see, as far as a Criminal Background check doesn't include every tidbit that may be there.

This illegal detention could certainly be used against him if and when applying for a CCDW, but since no Charges were filed won't show up on any criminal background record.
 #26345  by scampbell3

stephpd wrote: I take exception to this statement. I don't dislike or hate LEO's. I find them a necessary evil much like the way I see lower and mid level management. They have a job to do and most of the time it doesn't involve me so they are unnecessary to me. But there is a certain segment of society that makes them needed, so I see where they would be needed.

In Dales case they are stepping over their bounds and need to be corrected.

Go get him! If you don't get satisfaction from one layer keep trying until you find one that will see your side and work towards that goal.
Stephpd, I am sorry that you took exception to my comment. But in context of my comments, take for a minute and consider the same officers interactions with those who may not be aware that he is overstepping his authority. Those of us who do all we can to learn and understand the boundaries and limitations of both our own actions, and those of LE can spot this issues quickly. But what of someone who is not as informed. It is because of this I can see where people (in general) could develop a dis-like and/or mis-trust of LE. Again, I will state that there is a large percentage of LE that strive for the utmost level of professionalism and honesty in the job they are doing, but it is the actions of the minority that do more damage to the collective. And it is because of the infractions of the minority that cast a negative light or perception over the organization and those that take true pride and professionalism in their job. It is for this reason that those LEO's who act illegally need to be called out and taken to task for their infractions.

Chip
just my $0.009 ($0.02 after taxes)
 #26346  by stephpd

Chip, I understand fully. Part of the problem with these types of things are that they frequently are settled out of court and can't be used to protect our rights. Some times they do get through (like the recent New Mexico case).

For the average citizen, who seldom if ever keeps up with these things they just assume that what they originally saw done by the police as legal. Like the John Noble case, what most saw and heard was that some nut with a gun and Bible was arrested for being at an Obama rally. Few keep up with the courts and learn that what the police did was illegal.

Same for Dale. Those that saw him being walked out in handcuffs would assume he did something illegal. If they found out he was OCing they would assume that it's against the law. And it seems that this particular officer hasn't learned his lesson since he continues to abuse the power of the badge in harassing Dale about something he now knows is legal.
 #26347  by scampbell3

Stephpd,

unfortunately your assessment of OC litigation is correct. Seldom is it wildly reported, and even then the outcomes are only know to those who follow the cases regularly. But in reference to the New Mexico case, there was more then one positive outcome of the case
Judge Black has designated his September 8, 2009 opinion and order to be "published" in the official reporter for the United States Federal District Court for New Mexico. While unpublished opinions can be cited in the future by litigants and other courts, a "published" opinion is viewed as having more weight as a source of law than "unpublished" opinions. The case can now be cited as St. John v. McColley, et al., --- F.Supp.2d ----, 2009 WL 2949302 (D.N.M. 2009).
So this is another win, small as it may be, still a good outcome in addition to the verdict of the court.

Chip
 #26352  by stephpd

It's not just OC litigation but almost all civil rights violations are done below the radar. That's one of the ways we get to the point that we are at in this society and it's lack of understanding of what there rights are.

It also gets lost in the abuse of language by the likes of politicians (and the MSM) when they claim that health care is a right. None seem to correct them on this or even point out that they aren't telling the truth. And the uninformed think that it's true.

What ever happened with telling the truth, asking questions of those in authority or those that are supposed to report the 'news'? Seems most of this has been set up to do just the exact opposite.
 #26353  by scampbell3

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on". - Winston Churchill.
 #26356  by sellahr

stephpd wrote:Those that saw him being walked out in handcuffs would assume he did something illegal. If they found out he was OCing they would assume that it's against the law.

I know exactly what you mean about this. My incident with WPD happened right on the street near a park. There were many people there and around and they would have thought that I had done something really illegal considering there were 5 or 6 armed officers ordering me out of my vehicle.
 #26357  by George

sellahr wrote:
I know exactly what you mean about this. My incident with WPD happened right on the street near a park. There were many people there and around and they would have thought that I had done something really illegal considering there were 5 or 6 armed officers ordering me out of my vehicle.
are you able to talk about this yet?