If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #26286  by SugarBoy13

Lawyer up and throw the book at 'em.

LEOs do not have jurisdiction over enforcement of policies on private property without prior permission from the owner, agent, etc. He can not arrest you for violating a store policy. They are not criminal offenses. They are only justifications to have one removed from the property if they are not respected. The best officer Douche Bag can do is contact a store manager and get permission to ask you to leave. If you refuse, then he can get his hard-on and cuff you (again...) Delaware law is quite clear about this as discussed in a previous post:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3048

Unless he can prove that he is an authorized agent of the owner, he's blowing smoke.
 #26292  by Mr.Skellington

If this guy has a hot nut for you then you better lawyer up.

If you speak with the manager of Target definitely post the play by play of that meeting.

A saying I'm fond of goes- in court the person with the bigger stack of paper usually wins. A good thing to remember when going to see a store manager. If the manager were to sign a drafted paper that states his store is in accordance with corporate policy in regards to lawful OC, that could be priceless if DB oversteps his bounds again. ;)
 #26318  by MrCoolDale

Okay, I just got back from my short meeting with the Target Manager. I spoke with the manager on duty, and she was very friendly. I explained to her the situation and asked her about the company policy. She had to take a minute to go look it up and when she got back she had some great news for me. I was told that the officer in question DID NOT (and she was very stern on that) act on behalf of Target or it's employees. She said there is no record from Target of the incident, and that there is no policy against what I was doing (Open Carrying). According to her, I (we) are more than welcome to patron their store and open carry provided that it doesn't become an issue.

I didn't want to press the whole "Provided that it doesn't become an issue" statement, since she was being very cooperative and extremely professional. She also said that any further dealings with this matter doesn't involve Target and that it's between me and the officer of the state.

Great news overall. But then I got some bad news when I went to Troop 1 to take care of something pertaining to my detention. I had a job interview today and they were asking about arrests and detentions, even if charges were dropped. So I had to disclose the issue from last november. This new company (while the hr person believes and agrees with me) wants a letter from DSP stating that I didn't break the law and charges were either dropped or not filed.

So, I went down to Troop 1 to obtain this letter and the officer I dealt with absolutely refused to write any such letter, and wouldn't get his superior. He said I'd need to come back when the arresting officer was present to get such a statement. He said Wednesday morning, I told him I'm working and that I need the letter by thursday. That today was the only day I have available to get this letter. He told me that's not his problem and to figure out a way to come back wednesday morning.

I'm really beginning to hate DSP, and especially Troop 1. Outside of the one officer that apparently helped me out that fateful night, there doesn't seem to be anyone there that can actually do their job. I really wish I could declare today as "National Flip a Cop Off Day". But I suppose I can't hold every police officer accountable for the actions of the 6 or 7 at Troop 1 that can't seem to figure out what their job is and how to treat the public (or follow the law).
 #26320  by scampbell3

Excellent news Dale. :applause:

Now I have to agree with a previuous post response.
SugarBoy13 wrote:Lawyer up and throw the book at 'em....
Oppression under the color of law, and of course, what happened to you last November.
I know it is easy to dislike LE, but the actions of a few rotten officers can leave a bad taste, the overall majority I think do their jobs as honestly and professional as possible. But do not take take this as a pass to all LE, those that act as douche bag bullies with a badge need to be called out and dealt with to the extent of the laws they willfully violate. We should not bow down and submit to such treatment. Go get 'em....

Chip
 #26321  by MrCoolDale

I appreciate everyone's support on these matters. It seems like I have the worst luck when it comes to these kinds of things. And now I've got one cop that seems to just have it out for me. I'm attempting to deal with the issue through legal means. Hopefully I'll hear something back soon from some of the people I contacted.

I'll continue to update as information comes, but I will have to be selective so as not to divulge too much information on the internet. Certainly wouldn't want to defeat my cause by incriminating myself on here.
 #26322  by scampbell3

MrCoolDale wrote:I appreciate everyone's support on these matters. It seems like I have the worst luck when it comes to these kinds of things. And now I've got one cop that seems to just have it out for me. I'm attempting to deal with the issue through legal means. Hopefully I'll hear something back soon from some of the people I contacted.

I'll continue to update as information comes, but I will have to be selective so as not to divulge too much information on the internet. Certainly wouldn't want to defeat my cause by incriminating myself on here.
A very understandable and prudent measure on your part. I certainly hope these issues get resolved for you in one way or another.

Chip
 #26323  by SugarBoy13

MrCoolDale wrote: Great news overall. But then I got some bad news when I went to Troop 1 to take care of something pertaining to my detention. I had a job interview today and they were asking about arrests and detentions, even if charges were dropped. So I had to disclose the issue from last november. This new company (while the hr person believes and agrees with me) wants a letter from DSP stating that I didn't break the law and charges were either dropped or not filed.
Dale,

Great to hear about the Target policy! I figured he was blowin' smoke... :applause:

As for the false arrest statement, I would suggest you get a letter from the AG's office rather than DSP. It is not their job to interpret the Law. Besides, a statement from DSP would only serve as a confession that, in fact, your civil rights were violated. So, most likely you will never see one. The AG would be the one pressing charges and prosecuting if there was anything anyway.

Was this incident actually put on your record? I would ask your attorney to obtain a Criminal Background report to see if it was. If it never showed up or was expunged, it's like it never happened and should be treated that way. And if it did show up, I would push to have it expunged (after you sue the :censored: out of the state, of course...)

IANAL but, [insert smart a$$ remark here]

Just my $0.02 ("Change" you really can believe in!)
 #26327  by scampbell3

SugarBoy13 wrote:
Just my $0.02 ("Change" you really can believe in!)
:lol:

Of course when adjusted for taxes, my opinion is worth only $0.009

Chip
 #26331  by stephpd

scampbell3 wrote:
Oppression under the color of law, and of course, what happened to you last November.
I know it is easy to dislike LE, but the actions of a few rotten officers can leave a bad taste, the overall majority I think do their jobs as honestly and professional as possible. But do not take take this as a pass to all LE, those that act as douche bag bullies with a badge need to be called out and dealt with to the extent of the laws they willfully violate. We should not bow down and submit to such treatment. Go get 'em....

Chip

I take exception to this statement. I don't dislike or hate LEO's. I find them a necessary evil much like the way I see lower and mid level management. They have a job to do and most of the time it doesn't involve me so they are unnecessary to me. But there is a certain segment of society that makes them needed, so I see where they would be needed.

In Dales case they are stepping over their bounds and need to be corrected.

Go get him! If you don't get satisfaction from one layer keep trying until you find one that will see your side and work towards that goal.