If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #27751  by dave_in_delaware

DMac wrote:stephpd,

Any LEO who reads what you just wrote will, #1 laugh his ass off and #2 shake his head in disbelief that anyone would put such foolishness in writing for all the world to see.

Let me give you a reality check, based on both my years of being a police officer and on my years of offering psychological counseling to police officers. In the real world LEOs are held to a standard so high, that many cannot bear the pressure and stress of the unrealistic expectations put upon them by their superiors and by the political and judicial powers that be.

Some break under the stress, screw up and get fired. Some allow the stress to eat them alive, along with their relationships with their families. Many of those turn to addictive behaviors in a fruitless effort to dull the pain of that stress. Some of those wind up eating their own gun because of that stress.

The lucky ones who can't handle the stress, see what's happening and quit their LE careers before it's too late. Yes, fortunately there are those who can handle it and continue in their LE careers as healthy human beings, but they are not in the majority.

Now that is reality. Perhaps, not being familiar with the reality of the law enforcement world, you should be more careful with your posts.
With all due respect DMac, you just put this information in writing for all the world to see, too. It doesn't paint LEO's as very stable human beings. Actually, it paints a similar picture about ANYONE out there, regardless of profession. But you wonder why some of us are worried about encountering an Officer at all? This post was quite disturbing to me.
 #27754  by Mr.Skellington

stephpd wrote: It would be nice if the Justice system treated them all the same but I just don't see it.

If you think I'm wrong with some of this then speak up and show me where I'm wrong.

Sorry that Dave's thread has run adrift but I think these things need to be discussed.
DMac wrote: stephpd,

Any LEO who reads what you just wrote will, #1 laugh his ass off and #2 shake his head in disbelief that anyone would put such foolishness in writing for all the world to see.

Let me give you a reality check, based on both my years of being a police officer and on my years of offering psychological counseling to police officers. In the real world LEOs are held to a standard so high, that many cannot bear the pressure and stress of the unrealistic expectations put upon them by their superiors and by the political and judicial powers that be.

Some break under the stress, screw up and get fired. Some allow the stress to eat them alive, along with their relationships with their families. Many of those turn to addictive behaviors in a fruitless effort to dull the pain of that stress. Some of those wind up eating their own gun because of that stress.

The lucky ones who can't handle the stress, see what's happening and quit their LE careers before it's too late. Yes, fortunately there are those who can handle it and continue in their LE careers as healthy human beings, but they are not in the majority.

Now that is reality. Perhaps, not being familiar with the reality of the law enforcement world, you should be more careful with your posts.

And so rather than to address the actual substance of Stephpd's post you chose to side step his post with your brand of 'reality check' aka changing the subject.

Your 'reality check' has nothing to do with Stephpds post. It has nothing to do with the expectation of LEO's to observe the laws they enforce or be taken to task for it the same as anyone else.
 #27756  by MrCoolDale

Okay guys, it seems to be getting a little heated. I'm not trying to moderate here, I'm just wondering if we can bring it down a notch. Civil discussions are what we are known for. Let us not lose our heads.

As for what Steph said, I have to agree with the majority of that. When it comes to court systems, the police are not held to the same system of measurements as us as non-law enforcement civilians. But do remember, Police are still civilians at the end of the day. In all reality, they answer to the same court system as us. It's just that the courts tend to be more lenient on the police than us. Mainly because of the job they do. None of us here doubt the difficulty of the job as a police officer, and because of that I (and just about everyone else here) has utmost respect for them. When I see two people fighting, one of them a cop, I'm immediately going to assume the cop is in the right. That's how we're all trained. Even our judges.

So when it's his word against mine in court, and he happens to be a cop, guess who the judge will believe. That's what happens most of the time. For those times of obvious violation of civil rights, it's a mockery of the constitution for nothing to be done. Anyone want to guess what happened to the cop who unlawfully detained me, who stripped me of my property, who embarrassed me in front of hundreds of people... Nothing. He showed up to work the next day and got nothing more than a "Don't do that again" speech. That's unacceptable in my book. If I detained a cop, stripped him of his property and held him against his will, you can bet I'd still be sitting in jail with fines larger than I'll ever be able to pay my entire working life.

This is what Steph was talking about, DMac. We do something, it's illegal and we get prosecuted. Cops do the same thing, and they get a week paid vacation. In the same respect, I think DMac was a little misunderstood. What Steph said may have looked like an attack on law enforcement, in DMac's eyes. Please remember, people, it's all in the eye of the beholder. DMac was a law enforcement officer, and any negative connotation would come across as a personal attack. Much as if I were to talk about those worthless city or state workers in this state. (I don't really think they are worthless, just an example). Anyone here (and we have a few) that work for the city or state would feel like I'm attacking them because I'm grouping them in with a select few individuals that might be bad workers.

All I'm saying is, both Steph and DMac have excellent points, and if we look at them as a collective thought, there's a lot to be learned there.

And just keep in mind, in the eyes of the court, a cop is always right. In the eyes of the citizen, a cop is usually out to get them. They have to walk a fine line of mutual respect, and they can't please everyone. But they should know the law they are enforcing.
 #27760  by Jacques

dave_in_delaware wrote:H...Plus, having the public see us sitting and interacting w/ the Police should help everyone feel more at ease about citizens carrying, too...
This is presuming that they (are allowed or choose to ) show up in uniform... Otherwise, they're just another one of us...
 #27762  by stephpd

Damn, Did I kick the dog?

:pointlaugh: Oh, Dale your just being silly. :roll:

As far as picking on government workers for being worthless, well it's mostly true. But then it's hard to find any business that has a real high rate of excellent employees.

See the difference is that I won't defend poor behavior. The government just seems to have a higher share then most.

Most of us will agree that the job of LEO is difficult and something we don't have the temperament for. Having to deal with the worst parts of society have to take their toll.

But that doesn't excuse illegal behavior. Or the courts,DA, Judges and prison system letting them off easier then every other criminal.
 #27764  by DMac

Gentlemen:

What I wrote in my last post is true. I'm sorry if it is distressing to some of you. You can disbelieve it, ignore it, or accept it and deal with it. That's up to you. My intention was to correct the idea stated in the prior post that law enforcement officers were not held to the same standards as the public. The truth is, as I said, that they are held to a much higher standard. It may not appear that way to someone on the outside, but that's the way it is.
 #27767  by photog

stephpd wrote:Damn, Did I kick the dog?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll say it again......ALL THIS OVER A TICKET??? JEEZ !!!! :lol:

:pointlaugh: Lets just take up a collection and pay the damn thing already......

<< sorry guys, I had to inject a little humor here to ease the tensions. >>
 #27769  by GatorDude

DMac wrote:Gentlemen:

What I wrote in my last post is true. I'm sorry if it is distressing to some of you. You can disbelieve it, ignore it, or accept it and deal with it. That's up to you. My intention was to correct the idea stated in the prior post that law enforcement officers were not held to the same standards as the public. The truth is, as I said, that they are held to a much higher standard. It may not appear that way to someone on the outside, but that's the way it is.
Perhaps one of the reasons they may be held to a "higher standard" is that they have the lives, liberties and freedoms of people in their hands. That's a big responsibility. Responsibility demands high standards.

No one is forced to be an LEO. No one is twisting their arm to stay an LEO either. If you can't handle the responsibility or pressure of your chosen profession, get out.
 #27770  by DMac

Gatordude,

I absolutely agree with you.