If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #27293  by stephpd

I think it was the cigarette that gave the cop the 'everything's OK'.

Not sure how things have changed downstate but it's rare to see white folks on their front porch anymore around here. Back in the 60's maybe but now most seem to use the backyard more. From what I've seen from driving around and walking my dogs, it's very rare to see white people just standing or sitting out front. They're either doing yard work or walking the dog. The rest of the time they are almost invisible.

Not to make it a racial thing or anything like that. I still see black and Hispanics out front, both in the city and suburbs (much less here). Not sure about the rural sections nowadays. Heck most of the country houses I've been to they don't even use the front door. I've seemed to have picked up that from living out in the country too. Friends and family come to the backdoor. Only strangers come to the front door.

And I think that proper county etiquette would have been to wave to the LEO, lift the cup and use non verbal skills to ask if he wanted a cup. That was one of the most noticeable things about moving out to the country back in the 70's, everyone seemed more friendly. Strangers waving to you as you drove around, neighbors stopping to wave when they saw you in your yard or on the street, stopping to talk to the local police.

Not so much anymore since there has been a continual movement of folks from the city and suburbs out to the country. Much less friendly and outgoing over the decades.
 #27294  by scampbell3

Stephd,

You are correct, it is not common anymore to see people just sitting on the front porch anymore. Before moving to DE we lived in North Carolina. Sitting on the porch talking to neighbors and what-not was normal and still done quite often.

Besides, we (evil) smokers do not smoke in the house, we enjoy our habit on the front porch. It is amazing to see what happens around the neighborhood if you just take time to sit out on the porch and look around.

Feel'n the urge to set-a-spell on the porch and enjoy....

Chip
 #27296  by dave_in_delaware

I would certainly HOPE that the cop didn't suspect you of any wrongdoing, "justifying" a stop and stare at your own house. I mean, not many thieves and robbers have their hands full with a cigarette AND coffee while breaking into houses via the FRONT porch.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about this little incident: glad he stopped and looked, or mad that he wasn't minding his own business (i.e. my property. and knowing i'm armed now). I'm torn.....

Although I wonder if you're on a "home owner at [address] has gun - keep an eye on him now" list.
 #27299  by scampbell3

dave_in_delaware wrote:I would certainly HOPE that the cop didn't suspect you of any wrongdoing, "justifying" a stop and stare at your own house. I mean, not many thieves and robbers have their hands full with a cigarette AND coffee while breaking into houses via the FRONT porch.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about this little incident: glad he stopped and looked, or mad that he wasn't minding his own business (i.e. my property. and knowing i'm armed now). I'm torn.....

Although I wonder if you're on a "home owner at [address] has gun - keep an eye on him now" list.
I did not think of that.....hmmm, being on a watch list....I hope he took down the make, model, and plate numbers of our vehicles since they were right in front of him the whole time. I am not expecting any issues with Laurel PD, hell, we only have 4 cops here anyway. I am sure news will travel fast among them. But if there is trouble, I am always up for a good challenge. :mrgreen:

Chip
 #27301  by stephpd

scampbell3 wrote:Stephd,

You are correct, it is not common anymore to see people just sitting on the front porch anymore. Before moving to DE we lived in North Carolina. Sitting on the porch talking to neighbors and what-not was normal and still done quite often.

Besides, we (evil) smokers do not smoke in the house, we enjoy our habit on the front porch. It is amazing to see what happens around the neighborhood if you just take time to sit out on the porch and look around.

Feel'n the urge to set-a-spell on the porch and enjoy....

Chip
Walking a dog or jogging is a great way to check out what's going on in the neighborhood as well. Moving at a slower pace then driving it's amazing what you notice. Doing a little yard work, you tend to see much more of what goes on around your house too.

As far as the coffee and cigarette I think it's the latter that makes being outside and doing nothing PC for most. I don't see many standing, or sitting outside just to have a cup of coffee. I give the LEO credit for stopping and noticing something that, from a distance, would have peeked my interest as well. Not full blown condition orange but definitely something slightly unusual and a shift in situational awareness. The coffee would have me going WTF but seeing a cigarette would be like OK, I get it. It's this attention to smaller details that make a difference.

I seriously doubt it was much more then that for the LEO. Nothing nefarious to start having them watch your emails. ;)
 #27302  by stephpd

dave_in_delaware wrote:I would certainly HOPE that the cop didn't suspect you of any wrongdoing, "justifying" a stop and stare at your own house. I mean, not many thieves and robbers have their hands full with a cigarette AND coffee while breaking into houses via the FRONT porch.

From a distance, while driving, he may not have noticed the coffee or cigarette. Better to take a moment and look then anything else. I give them the benefit of the doubt for something like this. He was neither intrusive or neglectful in his duties, just what I'd expect from the police in a similar situation.

I happened to see a New Castle County Police Officer one day see something so trivial that I didn't think much of it but got his attention. Seems the next door neighbor had a plastic half dome cover, for a basement window, that wasn't in place. The Leo took the time to stop and investigate. I got a good chuckle as he walked back and my Lab had a hissy fit that someone would dare to traverse that piece of property (the distance between my fence and his house is less then 10 feet). She was right up on him and made such a commotion so as to alert any that understand dog language. After calming the dog down, which only happened after he left the property, I spent a few minutes talking to the LEO. Nice enough guy and I give him credit for noticing such a small detail while driving, and an interest in checking it out.