If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #27809  by Godasmypilot

One evening a few weeks ago I was at my range doing some zeroing on my rifle when it got too dark to see through my scope so I decided to pack it in. Of course it was still bright enough out to pick up brass at the range (I have a brass fetish 8-) ) so I headed over there to see what I could find. I still heard shots coming from the range so I was curious to see who would still be firing since we have a dusk cease fire at our range (Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol).

There were two police officers there, one was running the other through his qualification course. Turns out they had permission to shoot a little after dusk. I explained that I always come by to scrounge brass, and they said "There's plenty here, plus we're shooting .45 GAP." Of course I waited (anyone need .45 GAP brass?) and I watched some very interesting events unfold.

The drills/qualification rounds were literally done about ten feet from the targets. And they were SLOW, with only static shooting. No double taps there! Besides that all I'm gonna say is that we do things a little different during IDPA matches. It was interesting to observe, the drills themselves were good drills (one hand reloads, heel slide racking while kneeling, etc).

After the pistol round of entertainment was over, then came shotgun. I was not prepared for the thrill I was about to experience! :o I could tell this guy had an empty chamber, ok, I was 99 percent sure, but when he started to thumb in his shells, THE MUZZLE WAS SWAYING RIGHT ACROSS MY TORSO! :shock: By the third shell I relocated behind cover (just out of the line of fire really) and I kept observing, with a slightly elevated pulse. :? The shotgun round was close and slow too, but they were neat drills.

The officers were pretty nice after the drills were done, the one giving the course, who stayed after the 'student' had left, even asked if I'd be ok with him turning off his spotlight. It was dark by this time, but I had my flashlight to pick up brass with so I told him I'd be fine. After he departed I made like a chicken 'pecking' up my brass.

So, my question to all of you, would you have informed the officer that he was waving and requested that he be mindful of his muzzle? I know what my CCDW instructor would say, he'd say "Absolutely!" But, to put it mildly, I felt way outgunned. I'm still here, and that's what matters to me, but it's been in the back of my mind ever since.
 #27811  by Tate

I personally would have spoke up and said something, just because they are police does not give them the right to break basic gun safety rules, that could put you or themselves in harms way. I would have done it respectfully, and if any trouble came of it i would have turned around and left.

Just my 2Cents
 #27814  by MrCoolDale

During an incident involving a firearm, I told a cop he wasn't fit to handle a pistol if he couldn't mind the muzzle. He didn't like that much, but oh well. Someone needs to say it. To me, it doesn't matter who you are, or what you do. If you muzzle me, you'll one of two responses. Either I'm telling you to be mindful of your firearm, or I'm putting you down. Of course, it would depend on the situation. In a range setting, I'm just giving you the warning.
 #27815  by Mr.Skellington

I'd hate to have to correct someone (especially an officer) on muzzle safety but I'd hate even more to be shot due to negligence no matter who's fault it is.

The most I'd do is politely address the muzzle sweeping. How the other guy takes it isn't up to me at that point.
 #27821  by radnor

I agree with your instructor, Absolutely! I think HIS instructor should have said something and maybe brought you in. Stating HE(the student) is in the middle of a SHTF situation and YOU are his partner and state, "What IF you had a ND at this time?" Not only would you be in a SHTF situation, but YOU shot YOUR partner too!
 #27822  by SCUBA9097

Actually Tom, I'd like to go a step further than to just saying "absolutely". We all have not just a right, but a responsibility, in keeping not only ourselves, but our sport/hobby/profession and fellow shooters as safe as possible. Safety doesn't care what badge, certification, or titles we hold. A bullet fired from an instructor's gun will kill the same as a bullet fired from a student's. This is not to say that you initially approach the topic in an abrasive manner, but when we come across a situation like that, it still needs to be approached none the less. Simply put, complacency kills and it is far too easy to become complacent.

I applaud you for recognizing that an unsafe situation existed. I further applaud you for speaking publicly about the encounter. It's good to bring these issues to light every now and again, even when it's uncomfortable for us to do so.
 #27825  by VWpilot

MrCoolDale wrote:......He didn't like that much, but oh well. Someone needs to say it. To me, it doesn't matter who you are, or what you do.
Ditto here. I will never tolerate stupid & careless firearm safety from anyone. Being a police officer means nothing different. I would have immediately made this individual aware of sweeping thru me.
They also need to be reported to Jerry Martin (President) or Jeff Hague (Treasurer) for shooting after dark. Just to ensure he did have "special permission" as he told you. As a police officer, understanding how to handle a firearm safely at all times is his job, and he clearly did not know that. Assume nothing, inform the leadership at Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club. Stay safe......especially at the range. ~ Rob.
 #27834  by dave_in_delaware

I definitely would have said "Whoah!!!" (or something) at the exact time he sweeped me with his muzzle. Who cares if they were cops or not? One's profession makes no difference to the potentially fatal outcome of a ND at that time. Just because they're police officers doesn't give them the right to get away with unsafe practices at the range (or anywhere). Actually, based on a different thread here, I would think that those Officers would have known more about gun safety than most people, since they're held to a higher standard because of their job.

Definitely say something next time. Immediately. Cops can't arrest you for voicing your concern for range safety.
 #27836  by scampbell3

Tom, I think everyone else has said what I think as well. No matter who is on the range, safety is everyone's responsibility regardless if you are at the firing line, or behind the bench. This is the reason that at some ranges there are RSO.

I am glad that you recognized a dangerous situation and took appropriate actions for your own safety, but you would have not been out of line to notify these individuals of the situation, especially as a member of that range. I would bring this situation to the attention of the board of directors of the Range.

Chip
 #27840  by RangeRat

I think it's a person's responsibility to speak up, in any case, when it comes to safety. Many gun accidents happen from seasoned shooters who may get complacent about safety because they lose respect for the weapon.

If you see someone doing something unsafe, you may help them ungroove a bad habit when you mention something to them. Some people get so focused on shooting that safety goes by the wayside. Fingers in the guard, fingers in the guard while mag changing, muzzle plane.. All too common.

I broke the 180 degree plane once while doing a moving course @ action pistol and people let me know about it. I didn't realize it. Had those people not said anything, then it would have gone unnoticed by me. I DQd myself and I will never forget that I broke the plane and it shouldn't ever happen again.

No one is above safety, regardless of age, experience, skills. And conversely, safety warnings can come from people of all ages, skill levels, etc. In this case posted here, I would have said something, and I would also expect anyone @ anytime to say something to me if I start to do anything remotely unsafe. Better safe then sorry!