If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #36297  by wwd

We left Newark yesterday afternoon around 15:30, heading to Brigantine NJ, where mom lives 1/2 block from the beach. I take Rt40 to Malaga, then turn off on Dutch Mill Rd, heading over to Rt322. Been going that way mostly for almost 40 years.

As I got to Rt322, there was a light gray Jaguar (the smallest one, I call JagLite)...an X model or something...turning right. At the red light, with no cars on-coming, he didn't move, so I light-tapped the horn twice to wake 'em up. The driver door opens, and out stepped a 5'6" black thug acting like he'd just been attacked personally. Since I had my wife and child in my Dakota, I pulled around him and headed down Rt322. So the @$$ jumped back in his car to catch up to me. My wife asked if I had a gun with me. Of course I said no...NJ rarely issues permits. So she, without missing a beat, chimed in "I bet HE doesn't have a permit!". I said "of course not, only law-abiding citizens care about following the law. I'd be a felon in NJ if caught carrying, while the thug can carry any damned time he pleases because he doesn't care about the law".

So the thug and black passenger (who was sitting back and not participating) pulled along side me at 55mph with the passenger window down yelling some nonsense. I just smiled and waved as he was yelling, and smiled and waved again, and pulled forward. He pulled up, still yelling nonsense, and I smiled, waved, backed down about 3mph. Nothing happened after that. He stayed in front,
 #36298  by wwd

(bottom line kept dropping off the entry window...continued here)

...then pulled behind for a while, then pulled ahead. This went on for about 5 miles. Then he pulled alongside with his windows up as I was talking to my wife about our plans at the shore for the week. He then backed off, then turned off.

It just ticks me off that I cannot defend my family against thugs like that without becoming a felon myself. Had I had my .357, and I needed it to protect my family from this animal, I'd be in jail today as a felon.

I dislike this state with all of my little black heart.
 #36299  by scottese

Should of called the police with his tag #...in NJ they actually will send him a ticket in the mail, now you might find yourself in court. I would of at least called in the 5 miles that this went on. Hindsight is always 20-20 though.

I get the point you were making though, and I agree.
 #36300  by Mr.Skellington

wwd wrote:
I dislike this state with all of my little black heart
There are few things in this world that I have more disdain for than that place. I would be a very happy man if one day the Del memorial (and comm barry) bridge were plugged up.
 #36301  by myopicvisionary

I'm glad you're OK although I thought by the heading of this thread that it was about Gunnison Beach!
 #36306  by GatorDude

I hear ya'. You should have called 9-1-1 most definitely. Of course, you should have had the ability to potentially defend yourself as well. Unfortunately, the government in NJ prefers you live in fear there and be at their whim.

Good reason NOT to go to NJ though.....
 #36316  by wwd

GatorDude wrote:...You should have called 9-1-1 most definitely.
Yeah...in hindsight it makes for good sense, of course. Yet I knew that by not continuing to attack a thug's status, manhood, thug-hood, or whatever, that it would go away. Let him redeem himself by yelling, and expand his cajones by following me a bit, that it would more than likely go away. And it did...this time. I was prepared to take on red lights to keep the @$$ from stopping along side, because I had the family with me. I won't try to expound on what "might have happened" had I been alone. I couldn't do that objectively.

What I didn't know was the location of the nearest state police location. So be it. An enlightening encounter, with an acceptable conclusion, and lessons learned for, hopefully not, a more confrontational encounter in the future.

Thanks for your comments, and concern. It is heartfelt, and sincerely appreciated.
 #36317  by CorBon

I've been there a couple of times in the last two weeks (for concerts), and have one more there soon. I really despise the idea of entering Jersey, and can't even describe my thoughts on entering Camden. Hell, while leaving the one night, I even told the toll-taker how much I hate Jersey. Now, last weekend, I went to a concert in PA, and was able to go armed. Oddly enough, I didn't expect any problems in Lancaster, where who knows what a night in Camden may bring.

The best part about Jersey is the feeling you get when you see a sign that says "Now entering Delaware" or "Now entering Pennsylvania" -- and I may even be willing to extend that feeling to leaving Jersey for New York.