If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #40857  by Strelok

Today my wife and I went to Costco at Christiana Mall for Thanksgiving shopping.
I was carrying and when we entered the store I noticed some employees were eyeballing my firearm. We usually go through all isles just in case we see something of interest. Half way through the store we were approached by two employees. One of them identified himself as the store manager, his name was Kevin (I didn’t catch his last name).
First question was as always, “Sir, are you law enforcement officer?”
I said, No, I’m not. He was polite and mentioned that he appreciates that we are members of the club and do our shopping business there but he said that the club policy allows only LEO to carry firearms in the store and he will appreciate if I will leave my firearm in the car or wait outside until my wife finish shopping. Then he said that there are no signs at the store but recent OC encounters at the Costco stores prompted corporate to send a letter to store locations suggesting that there is “No firearm” policy exists and managers have to enforce it.
I said that I will not leave my firearm in the car unattended or have my wife do it alone as she has back problem and won’t be able to do it by herself. He understood that we are going to leave.
I told him that a few weeks ago their customer were robbed in their own parking lot and I carry firearm for my own and my family protection. He said that he understands the reason for me being armed and he doesn’t want in any way to violate my 2nd amendment rights (actually he said 1st amendment :) but I understood what he meant), but he said that Costco warehouse is not public property and corporate made the decision to enforce “No firearms” policy and he has to enforce so he wouldn’t get into a trouble with his employer.
I asked him if it’s possible for me to take a look at the letter from corporate and he said that he will find it and print it out for me and will meet me at the register (at least he let us finish our shopping). A few minutes later he showed up and handed me the letter and said that this was a letter from corporate to a member (fellow OCer) who wrote to the corporate. The names were removed for privacy reason. Looking at the letter it seems to me that it is just a template, but existence of such template tells you that some sort of policy exists. Otherwise why go through a trouble of creating one. Did Costco go ANTI? See letter below:

#40858  by GatorDude

Wow.... Sounds anti to me.

No firearms for the safety of our employees and members.... Wonder if the BG will have a membership.... Bet that will keep 'em out! Wonder if they view their parking lots as part of the membership area so that people won't get robbed there either since BG's can't have guns...

Sad....
 #40860  by Boots

It's nice they're so concerned for their customers. Maybe we should ask them what precautions they take to insure the safety of their customers while they're going between the store and their car. Armed security guards, maybe? How about video cameras?

Wait!... weren't they at least partly responsible for the death of one of their customers in a Costco parking lot? :? I wonder who destroyed the video of that. :(

No more Costco for me! Safer that way.
 #40861  by Guard_Duck

I was thinking of getting a Costco membership, guess there's no need to now.

BJ's still greets me with a smile and a slight nod when I walk in, guess I'll keep a membership there.

"Safety of our employees and customers" seems to be the reasoning given as of late. I sure hope the bad guys see the sign and obey. :o

#40862  by Boots

Here is a sign they can post...

I love that video! :mrgreen:
 #40866  by Strelok

Boots wrote:Here is a sign they can post...

Video removed

Can't be said better than that video did. FOX got it right in the eye.

Love this video too... :lol:
 #40867  by George

Cosco's letter seems fair, misguided, but fair. If the "no firearms" is in the terms and conditions of the membership. As all of these agreements I have read have the clause that allows them to change their policy at any time.

Of course to be fairer to members, they should:
Revise their terms (if applicable)
Post their stores
Allow only police on official business to carry (damn! I would love to see that)
 #40868  by Christopher518

Boots wrote:Here is a sign they can post...

Haha that is to funny but sadly true that people believe having a sign solves everything. It is kind of like the people who have the signs that say DOG! BEWARE! thinking that it is effective to a potential robber.
 #40870  by Mr.Skellington

Since I just renewed my membership several weeks ago I will have to print a copy of the letter to take in hand when I cancel that membership on my next trip.

I've carried there many times both open and concealed without any problems. Since this thread I've looked on the net about Costco and it seems this is a widespread thing that has been in effect for quite some time.

One of the first google hits is to this site which has a similar letter dated from 2006
http://jpfo.org/alerts/alert20061031.htm

I have not found any complaints like this about BJ's so I guess I'm going back to shopping there.
 #40874  by photog

Join BJ's instead.... SigGirl and I have OC 'd there several times without issue, we even ran into Cappilot and Toni there. Like a mini OC meeting..... ;)