If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #61071  by chriswalrath

Hey, all. Well, I had an encounter of sorts. Nothing to drastic, but I employed some dramatics. If not for self-protection, then hopefully to teach this idiot a lesson.

Well, I carry pretty much everywhere I go. I sell auto parts. Alternating weeks I perform close-out procedures so alternating weeks I am either carrying on the vehicle or wearing when I take cash to the bank.

So, this week I am carrying from the store. I get home to Milton and get something from Quick Stop. I walk out to my Jeep and as I am entering (read: one chubby leg awkwardly hiked up into the passenger compartment) a gentleman approaches me from around the car I had just passed and was between me and the store. It was dark.

Dude: "Excuse me, sir. I wanted you to have this . . ."
Me: "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOUA RE DOING? GOOD WAY TO GET SHOT WALKING UP ON SOMEONE IN THE DARK! I DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE BEING (all the while getting my footing and my hand close to my pistol) APPROACHED BY STRANGERS IN THE DARK! DO YOU KNOW THE KIND OF DAY I HAVE HAD? NO, BACK OFF NOW! GO . . ."

I do not care if the guy was put off. And I did see what was in his hand. Some kind of card with the American flag on it and the words 'God Bless'. I learned a lesson just how quickly the unexpected can happen. I hope he learned a lesson at just how quickly someone could get shot because of his stupidity. Approaching someone after dark. What If the next person he approaches is ooking for someone to assault.

So, nothing happened. No harm, no foul.
 #61074  by trevor

I think your response was fine. Who's to say he wasn't a criminal testing you? The card could've been to cover for a probe.

I was walking from parking to the grand a couple years back,at nght, with the family. Was approached by a solitary male. I made a ruckus and told him to stay back. Didn't care if he was harmless, as there's absolutely no way to tell.

The thing is, you're not there bothering anyone else, so don't feel bad in the least reminding them of that fact.
 #61075  by bluedog46

Cant say I blame you. Lucky many thugs are not computer literate or they would have an idea of how to rob someone. Come up offering a God bless button or something.
 #61077  by astro_wanabe

well, in hindsight, perhaps after you warned him away you could ask him to explain just what it was he needed to give you so bad. After he actually gave you some room and you checked around for any friends he might have, of course.
 #61082  by cslade454

I would have just said no thank you. What happen to " an armed society is a polite society"? This is the behavior that the anti gun people use as the reason why no one should be walking around with a gun. There will always be someone out there to prove them right.
 #61085  by David

cslade454 wrote:I would have just said no thank you. What happen to " an armed society is a polite society"? This is the behavior that the anti gun people use as the reason why no one should be walking around with a gun. There will always be someone out there to prove them right.
Obviously, not having been there makes it a tough call. Walking around a convenience store, approaching random people, in the dark, regardless of the circumstances, is not ok. Telling the person approaching that you are not ok with what they are doing is not unreasonable. I do think the store should have been informed so they could appropriately deal with the situation.

You can either take a cautious stance and accept that there are people out there who wish to have what you have, or, you can assume everyone is on the up and up until proven otherwise. My assumption is that 99% of the contacts you run into in your life, day or night, mean you no harm. Does that mean you still don't err on the side of caution?
 #61091  by Mr.Skellington

Maybe a donation and maybe a ploy to get close enough for a robbery/car jacking. How many robberies have been pulled off by crooks approaching people under the guise of asking for directions, the time, etc...

They thing is you don't know for sure so caution is a good habit to keep. Sternly letting someone know not to come any closer is appropriate if you have reason to question their intent.
 #61100  by myopicvisionary

What happen to " an armed society is a polite society"?
It still is. We hold doors open for others. We say thank you and please. We take our hat off at the dinner table.
 #61102  by bmel17

myopicvisionary wrote:
What happen to " an armed society is a polite society"?
It still is. We hold doors open for others. We say thank you and please. We take our hat off at the dinner table.
I keep my hat on. I'm bald