If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #62951  by cappilot06

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party on this one. I agree with Skellington and Radnor on this. Whenever I answer my doorbell at home after dark, I'm carrying a holstered weapon. My hand is usually on it until I see who is at the door and have a grasp of whether a threat does, or doesn't exist. I don't, however, make any mention of the pistol....there is no need. He/she sees what I have and can make their own decision as to whether to be a friend or a foe.

Situational awareness would tell us that we should never allow someone to "spook" us like that while we are carrying. If we do allow that to happen, and accidentally shoot someone who is not a threat, we are at fault. The implied threat of being shot that was given in this situation is just as bad.

I'm very glad the situation ended without it being much worse, but I think it could have been handled better. I think telling the guy not to approach you until they speak their business is all that needed to be said, although you had to see him approaching in the first place. If they continue to approach, you can then make it obvious that you are carrying while still distancing yourself from that individual in case you need to draw.

I think the fact that you were spooked by the guy is your fault, not his. This can happen to any of us, and we should all learn from this that if we decide to carry (whether openly or concealed) that you must be situationally aware at ALL times or else leave your firearm at home. It's not worth shooting an innocent person or going to jail.