If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #88910  by SR9

You say they have been very respectful of you, being military, and hepling you with bank related problems. I don't have a dog in this hunt, as many commenting don't, but why not respect the banks wishes or policies and just leave your gun in your vehicle?
Some have suggested you change banks. Did you consider they do not have to serve you and can cancel all you accounts and ask you to leave. Is it worth it to YOU?
It is better to pick a battle you can win over one you can't.
Advise from an old AF guy that has been in your shoes/boots. This does not have to go to your Commander, does it? I think not.
 #88911  by DMac

Food for thought: No matter how nice the manager may have been, or how helpful he may have been in the past, is he not now violating your second amendment right to bear arms? And are you not, for the sake of convenience, abrogating your second amendment right by acquiescing to his position? Again, just food for thought.
 #88913  by mdak06

DMac wrote:Food for thought: No matter how nice the manager may have been, or how helpful he may have been in the past, is he not now violating your second amendment right to bear arms? And are you not, for the sake of convenience, abrogating your second amendment right by acquiescing to his position? Again, just food for thought.
Picking a nit here -- I agree with your sentiment, but would not phrase it that way. The US Constitution generally provides powers (and sets limits) for government actions, not private actions. I think a bank has every right to ban firearms (however misguided) on their premises if they choose to do so.

As far as the bank's actions ... it doesn't sound like this bank supports the concept of self-defense. What's most disturbing to me is that despite you being a regular customer there, despite the fact that you've had military training that they are fully aware of, despite the fact that you (as far as I know) have given NO indication of any malice or ill will towards the bank, they think that you should not be permitted to carry a tool to aid you in self-defense.

IMO, there's one of two things going on. One possibility is that they were ordered to prohibit open carry by their management.

The other is that they've been badly brainwashed into thinking that "GUNS R BAD," and despite all of these other factors that say "this is a good, loyal customer who means us no harm," the anti-gun programming is too strong to overcome.
 #88914  by Guard_Duck

The other is that they've been badly brainwashed into thinking that "GUNS R BAD," and despite all of these other factors that say "this is a good, loyal customer who means us no harm," the anti-gun programming is too strong to overcome.
That's probably what's happened, there is a huge push for that nationwide.
 #89021  by Boots

SasquatchAF wrote:... As the conversation continued, he explained that he knows I have been carrying in the bank every time he has seen me come to the bank, and so have the tellers. He says he supports the right to carry and respects my decision to do so. But then he asked me to leave my weapon in my car from now on when I come into that bank; due to the fact that it makes him and other folks feel uncomfortable due to the nature of their business.

He also said he fully unerstands that state law allows me to OC, and that he fully supports it and my decision to carry; but yet asked me not to carry. :banghead: Part of his reasoning was that they are always weary of the chance of being robbed, etc; and that they would feel better if I didnt carry, even though they know me, know that Im military, and know me by name and face well enough that he looked me up by name in their system to be able to get my phone number to call me. ....
IMHO, this new rule is silly. Good guys open carrying in the bank make it safer for everyone in the bank!

Bad guys who notice the OC are more likely to go somewhere else, like a 'gun-free zone' bank, to commit their robbery.

The bank's hoplophobia may turn out to be bad for their health.
 #89030  by Dr. Eastwood

To me, the trouble it would take to close said accounts would be more than worth the cost of sending a message to them.
 #89037  by SasquatchAF

Boots,

I couldnt agree with you more. Im by no means Billy the Kid or some rogue gun slinger, but you would think that it might act as a little bit of a deterrent to those who may have ill intentions and they might think twice about which place to go after. Besides, to the ill informed, who's to say im not an off duty LEO or anything of the sort. Most folks who are in the business of wrong doings probably wouldnt know the difference anyway and may think again about finding a new place to target.

Eastwood,

I plan on stopping in to talk to the bank manager in person and having a sit down talk with him face to face. He is a very reasonable person, and is fairly easy to deal with. It may not gain me any ground, but its worth a shot. In the end, if it doesnt help any, I guess CC will be the way to go when I have to go to the bank. Kind of a "see no evil" scenario.
 #89042  by Sodbuster

SasquatchAF wrote:
Im by no means Billy the Kid or some rogue gun slinger,
...says the guy who stopped by the other day carrying three 1911's. :lol:
 #89043  by SasquatchAF

Sodbuster wrote:
SasquatchAF wrote:
Im by no means Billy the Kid or some rogue gun slinger,
...says the guy who stopped by the other day carrying three 1911's. :lol:
Hey now... The third was the new one that hasnt been proven on the range yet. You mean normal people dont carry a BUG???? or Two? :mrgreen: