If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #90188  by Daveman

Had a minor accident today. Had my S&W m&P40 in the serpa on my front seat. Cop showed up after me calling about the accident, first thing before he even said a word, I mentioned to him that I have a loaded firearm in the vehicle. He proceeded to ask me if I had a CCDW, and I responded not yet, still in the process, open carry doesn't require a permit. He nodded and asked me wear it was, told him it holstered on the front passenger side seat. He then told me "thank you for letting me know, just stay here for your & my safety". He asked where my registration was and I told him between the seats....(was in the middle of getting everything together for when he showed up), about 1-2 minutes later, he shouts asking me wear it was, "I don't see it,"I walked to the driver side window, pointed down to in the spot between my seats, and he reached in and picked it up. He never once laid a finger on my firearm, just went about the normal "accident reporting". After everything was done, he asked me if the s&w was a 9mm? To which I relied "no, it's a .40, I do have the storm lake 9mm conversion barrel though, he said "nice sidearm, glad you told me you were armed, you're attitude and demeanor tells me you know the laws regarding the open carry of a firearm..." I said "yep" he asked me who I went to for my class, I told him, Marino's. he told me that's who they use, great guy, very good instruction. Overall I kept calm, and confident. I do imagine he "checked" me to see if I was prohibited or not, while doing his initial paperwork. But he was very respectful, thanked me for telling him I had a loaded firearm in the vehicle, and said "good that you're taking it upon yourself to protect yourself, if anything should arise." There was a little more but nothing about the firearm on my seat.. Great LEO experience. I also told him about the comment from another Milford PO and he told me I was right, the law states long guns cannot be loaded in your vehicle, and the law says nothing to handguns. We shook hands and I went on my way. I say it was pretty positive in my eyes.
 #90189  by Daveman

Oh, he did mention that he thought more law abiding citizens would take the steps I and others have to better protect ourselves and others, and thanked me for that. PO's can't be everywhere at all times.
 #90190  by sanman9781

:applause:
 #90196  by Amy Blackthorn

Daveman wrote:Oh, he did mention that he thought more law abiding citizens would take the steps I and others have to better protect ourselves and others, and thanked me for that. PO's can't be everywhere at all times.
:applause:
 #90204  by Taurus247

We need more officers like him in this state. I make it a point to call dept. and let them know good experiences I have had with their officers. I understand that its what they should be doing but it goes along way with getting more officers to start acting in the same way and when you call about complaints they will take it more seriously.
 #90205  by Daveman

Agreed Myopic & Taurus!! Good guy. Very professional and wasn't an idiot ass. Damn fine is right! Very good experience. Didn't really expect the situation to go so smoothly. Most of Milford PD aren't as "up to date" on open carry... If you go back to the post I had made about if a certain officer had seen me load my firearm he's draw and I'd probably be shot.. Cat remember the thread. I'd have to find it.
 #90220  by WVisHome

:applause: indeed.

This story coupled with my experience at the Christiana Mall gives me hope yet.

I never thought about calling to give praise....I wish I would have gotten the officer's name now, but that is a grand idea.