If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #91132  by Kuntryboy816

Taken from my OC Log....
Kuntryboy816 wrote:September 20th

After I got off of work Friday, I picked up my nephew at my brother's house, went home and got my boys and took them all down to Glasgow Park for a few hours. I did as most of the parents do, I walked around the playground equipment in order to keep track of all 3 boys as much as possible. We went from the big playground, to the smaller ones, to the sandbox and back and forth several times. I got more than one glance from a few people but as the boys were constantly running up to me and pulling me hither and yon so that I could watch them perform some feat that I grudgingly wished I could still do, I believe the parents finally realized that I was just there playing with my kids just like them.

All but one that is.... she eyed me up pretty heavily while the kids were in the sandbox with her daughter. She looked conflicted on whether to speak to me or not but chose not to... for the moment. Later, over on the bigger playground, I was helping my nephew climb up a pretty big obstacle (these kids are fearless) and she decided it was time to voice her opinion. As she was standing next to me already, I can only assume that her child was in the vicinity and that she didn't intentionally seek me out to speak her peace... I could be wrong though. Anywho, she approached me and the convo went as such:

Her: I hate to bring this up :roll: but you're not allowed to carry a weapon here... I know b/c I OC too.
Me: I am sure you are misinformed ma'am. This is a county park and there are no laws restricting the open carry of firearms.
Her: Oh yes there is! There is a law on the books saying you can't.
Me: Are you referring to the ordinance for City of Newark parks, which by the way is an illegal ordinance? Or are you referring to the statute pertaining to lands controlled by DNREC? Neither of these two apply to this park as it is a county park.
Her: It's on the books.
Me: So where can I find this law? I have done extensive research and to my knowledge no such law exists and I am perfectly legal to OC here at this park. If I were not then I would not be here.
Her: No you can't! It's on the books, I'm telling you.
Me: Well ma'am, if you OC and choose to disarm unnecessarialy while here that is your choice. As for my family and I, we will opt to be protected at all times especially while out in public.
Her: Whatever... I'm telling you that what you're doing is illegal.
Me: Have a nice day ma'am.
 #91137  by Kuntryboy816

Can't you see all the terrified people running for their lives in the background because of the evil gun that walked into their midst?!? Maybe she had a point?? Good thing I snagged this little elf in the swing before he could get away!! :troll:
 #91144  by P2riquen

Way to go!!! :applause:
 #91163  by Owen

Break the chains of oppression brother ... oh wait. :D

Handsome little redhead you got there! :applause:
 #91165  by Kuntryboy816

Owen wrote:Break the chains of oppression brother ... oh wait. :D

Handsome little redhead you got there! :applause:
:lol: Thanks... that's my nephew. My boys were on the swings beside us. They're all very close and get along so well. Gotta love cousins! Here's a pic of us at Wendy's after. It's hard to get them all together standing still long enough to get a picture. My youngest looks like some stoner drummer. :lol:
 #91171  by dean

Haha, this is the same expression I wear whenever I hear about new gun control legislation.
 #91179  by stephpd

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Taken from my OC Log....
Kuntryboy816 wrote:September 20th

Her: I hate to bring this up :roll: but you're not allowed to carry a weapon here... I know b/c I OC too.
Me: I am sure you are misinformed ma'am. This is a county park and there are no laws restricting the open carry of firearms.
Her: Oh yes there is! There is a law on the books saying you can't.
Me: Are you referring to the ordinance for City of Newark parks, which by the way is an illegal ordinance? Or are you referring to the statute pertaining to lands controlled by DNREC? Neither of these two apply to this park as it is a county park.
Her: It's on the books.
Me: So where can I find this law? I have done extensive research and to my knowledge no such law exists and I am perfectly legal to OC here at this park. If I were not then I would not be here.
Her: No you can't! It's on the books, I'm telling you.

She's actually correct. It's still on the books;

Sec. 24.01.014. Possession of certain knives; discharge of weapons.

No person shall carry a knife upon his or her person having a blade three (3) inches or longer in length or have possession of or discharge a BB gun, air rifle, pistol, firearm, paint ball gun, bow and arrow or any other type of lethal weapon in any park.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14845