If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #93681  by brich2929

I was on my way down to X-Ring to meet TexasJay so we could do a transfer.

I was running a little behind schedule, so I pulled out from my house with a little extra vigor and not 100 feet from my house, proceeded to perform a "California slide" through the stop sign when I caught a view on my left of a Wilmington PD. I was already applying the gas pedal as I saw him so I was pretty sure I was gonna get stopped.

Sure enough he turns left and lights 'em up. I stopped at the next block after completing a legal stop at the following stop sign and pulled over. I had enough time to get my wallet out but he was quickly out of his car and I didn't want to be reaching for anything as he approached.

It went like this.

Cop: So, you know why I stopped you?

Me: Yes. 2 stop signs back...

Cop: (observing my NRA sticker on the rear of my car), So, are you an NRA member?

Me: Yes sir.

Cop: Are you carrying?

Me: Not today. (was kind of lazy and wasn't sure what X-Ring policy was, plus was already running late, etc, etc.)

Cop: Why not? Your gun isn't gonna do you any good at home.

Me: Yep. I know. I'm still getting used to strapping on every time I leave the house. I am actually heading down to XRing to transfer a lower receiver and not sure what their policy is on carrying in store.

Cop: Yeah. They may be a little funny about it.
License and registration please. If everythings current, you'll be on your way.

(I handed him my license, he glanced at it, asked if the address was still correct and handed it back. I asked if it was ok to get my info out of the glove box, he said yes.)

After he checked it out (probably to see if the car was stolen and if I had any warrants), he comes back and returns my registration and insurance.

Cop: You're good to go.

Me: Thanks officer. Yeah, I still just need to remember to strap on more consistently.

Cop: You never know when you'll need it.

Me: Yep, especially around here.
(THe street he was on when he saw me glide past the stop sign there was a double homicide about 2 months ago, right in a parked car)

I noticed that basically the whole time he was more or less standing behind my b pillar, almost in front of the driver side rear passenger door. I actually had to lean forward and look towards the rear of the car to see him. I wanted to get his name and again thanked him.

Me: Thanks again, Officer?

Cop: Cannon.

It was officer J. Cannon, Wilmington PD, so he's a good guy.
 #93682  by Guard_Duck

:applause:

May I suggest sending a compliment to the WPD about this experience and officer. They get so many complaints, that a compliment goes a long way. Especially for a carry friendly officer.
 #93683  by astro_wanabe

Guard_Duck wrote::applause:

May I suggest sending a compliment to the WPD about this experience and officer. They get so many complaints, that a compliment goes a long way. Especially for a carry friendly officer.
^ +1 on this. Let them know that such positive interactions are valued.

I've OC'd in X-Ring several times and never had an issue, and I'm pretty sure their whole staff even carries.
 #93686  by Cbmarine

astro_wanabe wrote:

I've OC'd in X-Ring several times and never had an issue, and I'm pretty sure their whole staff even carries.
During one of my visits to Xring, a nice lady was helping pick out ammo while a big young guy behind the counter stood with his hand on his pistol and staring vacantly into the distance. Moved me up to Orange. Otherwise, staff is great, especially compared to Millers.
 #93690  by Chizult

Cbmarine wrote:
astro_wanabe wrote:

During one of my visits to Xring, a nice lady was helping pick out ammo while a big young guy behind the counter stood with his hand on his pistol and staring vacantly into the distance. Moved me up to Orange. Otherwise, staff is great, especially compared to Millers.
No comment, other than that made me laugh. I'm totally stealing it.
 #93691  by astro_wanabe

Chizult wrote:
Cbmarine wrote:During one of my visits to Xring, a nice lady was helping pick out ammo while a big young guy behind the counter stood with his hand on his pistol and staring vacantly into the distance. Moved me up to Orange. Otherwise, staff is great, especially compared to Millers.
Pretty sure he's just referring to what's known as the Color Code of Mental Awareness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Coope ... Color_Code
 #93697  by Cbmarine

astro_wanabe wrote:
Chizult wrote:
Cbmarine wrote:During one of my visits to Xring, a nice lady was helping pick out ammo while a big young guy behind the counter stood with his hand on his pistol and staring vacantly into the distance. Moved me up to Orange. Otherwise, staff is great, especially compared to Millers.
Pretty sure he's just referring to what's known as the Color Code of Mental Awareness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Coope ... Color_Code
Correct. However, evaluating AOJ, the kid had the Ability and Opportunity but Jeopardy was unlikely though, if in the paranoid realm, possible. I didn't say anything and hoped that the store manager would conduct a little remedial training. After I made my purchase, I exercised Preclusion and left the store.
 #93816  by brich2929

I do plan on writing a short, positive note for the officer's file.

As I was browsing around the internet tonight, I came across a Hickok45 Video of him reviewing the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. I clicked on it because I know it has ties to Jeff Cooper and I have an affinity for the man who passed on long before I became aware of him

Anyway, that led me to a retrospective website about him that linked to an old personal archived site of his which contains his Commentaries from 1993 until the time of his death in September 2006. These are treasured quips, information and observations that it appears were sometimes published in whole or in part in Guns & Ammo and maybe ditributed to graduates of Gunsite Academy and his close friends.

If you get the chance, head over and read them.
The link is:

In relation to my above post and the interaction with Officer Cannon, I received a smile from this posting which was printed in the July 16, 1993/Vol. 1, No. 4 Issue of Jeff Cooper's Commentaries (formerly Gunsite Gossip). Also note the sentiment regarding Nelson Mandela (who was big in the news at that Time as he was about to rise to power)
From the Prescott Courier via the Associated Press, Johannesburg, South Africa:
"A newspaper told of a family on vacation who stopped at a routine police checkpoint. The father was asked if he had a gun. No, he replied. The officer exclaimed, Why not? and lectured the man on the dangers of traveling unarmed."

"Not long ago at the entrance to a government building I handed my purse to a guard for checking. Your gun is in here?, he asked, with a smile, and returned it without looking inside. There was no gun inside."

"In over 15 years of knocking about in Africa, we have been continually gratified by the intelligent manner in which personal firearms are supervised. Of course this may all change if Mandella's boys get into power."

Kevin Wilmeth