If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #98736  by myopicvisionary

I was walking around the gun library section of Cabella's. The underpriced M1917 Eddystone Enfield was gone :x. Immediately outside the library are the tall rifle racks that attract lots of Mensa members. Then it happened. This genius sweeps the muzzle of a rifle right across my chest. Without thinking, I bladed my body putting my 1911 away from the doofus. At the same time, I grabbed the rifle barrel with my off hand and drove it back at him planting it right between his eyes with the muzzle pointing at the ceiling. As the idiot sputtered, I told him where the muzzle would go if he ever swept me again. I looked around for a sales person but the only one in the immediate area was busy trying to put his lame moves on a young woman. For the prices and the idiots, I need never walk in there again.
 #98738  by Pjd832

No offense intended... But do you think that you may have possibly over reacted slightly?...you are referring to guns that are trigger locked and actions locked open correct?... While muzzle discipline is important....but given the non functioning condition of the weapons...was it really worthy of such a reaction?....at elk neck range sure.........furthermore why did the guy working have to be "putting lame moves on a young lady" as opposed to just helping a customer?... Lol
 #98739  by myopicvisionary

No, I didn't over react. The action was not locked open and I did not look at the trigger. Anybody sweeps me with any weapon will get the same regardless of the setting. As for the guy and the lady... that was exactly what he was doing.
 #98740  by Pjd832

I gotcha ...I haven't been to the de cabelas...but thought all firearms on the floor not behind the counters had to be trigger and action locked ( the way I remember it at the pa cabelas while shopping those racks)..did you address these issues with a manager?... If an employee in a firearms store is being negligent/derelict of his responsibilities while "chasing tail" it needs to be addressed for the safety of all
 #98741  by phlydude

I have asked numerous people to mind their muzzles when touching items on the used rack. They give me a puzzled look and tell them they need to take a NRA safety course before thinking about purchasing a firearm.

John, you did not overreact...you just did what some wish they had the balls to do.
 #98745  by Surface Dragon

You did the right thing.

In your situation I think you could have legally drawn on the person sweeping you but that would have been the wrong thing to do and you probably would have made the national news.

I kind of wish children got taught some basic firearm safety in school so that they would grow up with a greater respect for firearms, each other, and life. But that will never happen and some people will never learn.
 #98747  by myopicvisionary

I could not draw due to so many people surrounding us. In this situation, if the rifle had been loaded and it discharged during the wrestling all I could do is control the direction of the muzzle and resultant discharge. My right hand was free to coerce the idiot if need be.
 #98749  by Pjd832

Wow....I've been reading this forum for several years..and posting occasionally for info ...and usually the PC level is well over the top to me...but this is the complete other end of the spectrum.....to say that some potentially new/non gun owner possibly looking at/handling a firearm for the first time IN A CONTROLLED SAFED WEAPON environment sweeps you and that the correct response was to smash the rifle in his face and threaten him WHILE OPEN CARRYING(?) is not over reacting or could give anyone watching the appearance that oc'ers are just cowboys out looking/itching for a firefight?

But even more disturbing I think is the notion that in this situation drawing a KNOWN LOADED WEAPON would be the appropriate response....I understand I am not a known person here do not attend the monthly parties , nor do I broadcast my prior service history in my "signature lines"/screen name .....so as with any "online community" my words will be dismissed as "stupid" /the regulars dogpile whether right or wrong.....but as a combat vet who has had actual loaded weapons in his face and been shot at and hit ...walking through a cabelas and being "swept" by some clown on the sales floor DOES NOT justify drawing on .....and will only perpetuate the negative opinions of oc folks .....
 #98751  by Chizult

Pjd832 wrote:Wow....I've been reading this forum for several years..and posting occasionally for info ...and usually the PC level is well over the top to me...but this is the complete other end of the spectrum.....to say that some potentially new/non gun owner possibly looking at/handling a firearm for the first time IN A CONTROLLED SAFED WEAPON environment sweeps you and that the correct response was to smash the rifle in his face and threaten him WHILE OPEN CARRYING(?) is not over reacting or could give anyone watching the appearance that oc'ers are just cowboys out looking/itching for a firefight?

But even more disturbing I think is the notion that in this situation drawing a KNOWN LOADED WEAPON would be the appropriate response....I understand I am not a known person here do not attend the monthly parties , nor do I broadcast my prior service history in my "signature lines"/screen name .....so as with any "online community" my words will be dismissed as "stupid" /the regulars dogpile whether right or wrong.....but as a combat vet who has had actual loaded weapons in his face and been shot at and hit ...walking through a cabelas and being "swept" by some clown on the sales floor DOES NOT justify drawing on .....and will only perpetuate the negative opinions of oc folks .....
Completely agree on all accounts