If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #98752  by brich2929

Unfortunately Gonna agree with above.
I say unfortunately bc OP is generally a helluva OC ambassador. Just read his posts.
 #98755  by Guard_Duck

Sorry, I'm with myopic. Remember the first of Coopers rules, all guns are always loaded. You never know if some one brought a round into the store with the intent of using the firearms in the store to do evil.

I'll be back later to comment on the combat vet part, right now I can't get the words right to express my feelings. But I will say you're not the only one who has had a loaded weapon off safe pointed at you at point blank range in a combat zone.
 #98758  by scampbell3

I agree with myopic. There is NO EXCUSE to disregard the basic rules of firearms safety regardless of location, circumstance, or assumptions. I do not care who you are or what experience you have, do stupid s&?!, get immediate correction.
 #98761  by brich2929

Someone "may have brought a round in with the intent to do evil?" We are talking about a "muzzle sweep" here. Now if it's a guy intentionally pointing the gun at someone, then you say something/do something but it's rather easy to "muzzle sweep" at cabelas on the rifle racks. There are lower and upper racks and generally lots of people in that area. If you get 2 or 3 folks looking in the same general rack, there will very likely be a moment or so when a muzzle could potentially maybe cross the path of someone. I just attended the gun show at the Nur Temple this past weekend. The guns that weren't in racks (most of the guns there) were just laying on the tables. You get a semi to fully packed house and I GUARANTEE there's gonna be muzzle sweeping all friggin day. Unintentional muzzle sweeps. Those are different than a guy picking up a gun to look down the sight picture and INTENTIONALLY POINTING at someone. When I was at the show I saw a gun or 2 I liked and picked it up, but invariably, someone at the other end of the building or the next aisle could be "swept" by a muzzle as the gun goes from horizontal. And that's coming from a guy that keeps gun safety paramount. In fact I don't like when the muzzles point towards the aisle while on the table but unless you're facing a wall, that's near impossible.
 #98762  by rosco87

I think way overreaction if what I'm picturing in my mind is accurate! I think correct positive response would be tipping barrel upward and say "mind where you are pointing that please!" If he did it a second time feel free to continue with your initial response! Or if the first time you could tell the dude was intentionally drawing down on you! As a person OCing you are An ambassador for EVERY gun owner in America we need not to look any worse than the media paints us already! When I worked at dicks selling guns I had to take a fire arm away from 3 different people for pointing it intentionally at someone! I was quick but polite and stern with them never trying to shove a gun down their face them telling them where I'm gonna put it if they did it again!!
 #98763  by TexasJay

Chizult wrote:
Pjd832 wrote:Wow....I've been reading this forum for several years..and posting occasionally for info ...and usually the PC level is well over the top to me...but this is the complete other end of the spectrum.....to say that some potentially new/non gun owner possibly looking at/handling a firearm for the first time IN A CONTROLLED SAFED WEAPON environment sweeps you and that the correct response was to smash the rifle in his face and threaten him WHILE OPEN CARRYING(?) is not over reacting or could give anyone watching the appearance that oc'ers are just cowboys out looking/itching for a firefight?

But even more disturbing I think is the notion that in this situation drawing a KNOWN LOADED WEAPON would be the appropriate response....I understand I am not a known person here do not attend the monthly parties , nor do I broadcast my prior service history in my "signature lines"/screen name .....so as with any "online community" my words will be dismissed as "stupid" /the regulars dogpile whether right or wrong.....but as a combat vet who has had actual loaded weapons in his face and been shot at and hit ...walking through a cabelas and being "swept" by some clown on the sales floor DOES NOT justify drawing on .....and will only perpetuate the negative opinions of oc folks .....
Completely agree on all accounts
Overreaction. This was quite possibly someone who is brand new to firearms. May never have held one or been taught the safety rules or even heard about safety rues. For intentional pointing of a firearm, totally justified. For an unintentional muzzle sweep, pushing the muzzle into a safe direction and a reminder of firearm safety would be appropriate. If the person says they've never handled a firearm or been taught, teach them the safety rules. A calm learning experience could have converted a scared hoplophobe into a gun guy. An over reaction could give them the impression us racist rednecks are just itching for a chance to shoot someone and you could have reaffirmed their fear of firearms and owners.
 #98764  by Surface Dragon

This seems to be turning into a serious argument.

Let me clarify my stance.

-Treat all firearms are considered loaded at all times. Period.
- If someone doesn't know firearm safety they should not be handling a firearm.
- Drawing on someone that is potentially threatening you life is legal but obviously would have been the wrong thing to do in this situation.
- I've had loaded firearms pointed at me by people who had serious intent to threaten my life but that does not make my opinion any more valid that anyone else's.
- I am no cowboy and I always do my best to avoid any physical confrontations.
- Nobody wants to get hurt and hurting others is typically regretted even if it is/was the appropriate thing to do.

I still think he did the right thing but maybe could have done it without violence. But I think the response was done in the heat of the moment when life becomes more important than political correctness.

And yes someone seemingly thoughtlessly sweeping you in a firearms store could actually be a homicidal maniac potentially making you their first victim on the murder/suicide spree. Its rare but it does happen. I know a firearms store that had to shut down for a while to clean a tragic incident off their ceiling if you know what I mean.

If this happened in some place other than a firearms store the sweeper probably would have found himself on the ground hurting far worse.

I'm not applauding violence but I am applauding myopic's quick reaction even if he did go a little overboard.
 #98766  by myopicvisionary

Violence? What violence? If you read my post I pushed the weapon back at him with the barrel skyward. The barrel was right to his face so he was looking crossed eyed at it. With his hands pushed against his chest, he had no leverage to use against me. Several posters make it sound like I butt stroked the guy with the rifle. As for what I said, only he could hear what I said. I did not shout at all. I did not make a scene. If this fool takes offense at what I said after what he did, too bad. As for a "safe, controlled environment" Cabella's is not it. I will not accept any amount of muzzle sweeping against me. I will never put blind faith in that the store ensures all their firearms are unloaded.
 #98772  by Surface Dragon

Sorry for misunderstanding.

But I interpreted "drove it back at him planting it right between his eyes" as a forceful gesture that implies some use of violence and I think others read it that way too.

Planting something between somebody's eyes is usually meant to mean to strike somebody in the face. If I told you that I planted my fist between somebody's eyes what would you think I did? You would probably get the mental image of me punching somebody in the face.

But lets not get all caught up on grammar. If someone sweeps you with a firearm you should do something about it and inform the sweeper that what they did is unacceptable, right?
 #98776  by viper98

Surface Dragon wrote:Sorry for misunderstanding.

But I interpreted "drove it back at him planting it right between his eyes" as a forceful gesture that implies some use of violence and I think others read it that way too.

Planting something between somebody's eyes is usually meant to mean to strike somebody in the face. If I told you that I planted my fist between somebody's eyes what would you think I did? You would probably get the mental image of me punching somebody in the face.

But lets not get all caught up on grammar. If someone sweeps you with a firearm you should do something about it and inform the sweeper that what they did is unacceptable, right?

:roll: