If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #98920  by Roach

Thanks Astro, I see where he had written that part.
 #98921  by Guard_Duck

Oh, and recoding the keys only works for the ignition, does nothing for the alarm, if it's factory. As long as the door is unlocked with a key, the alarm stays silent. All bets are off with an aftermarket alarm though.
 #98924  by whatevah

Guard_Duck wrote:Oh, and recoding the keys only works for the ignition, does nothing for the alarm, if it's factory. As long as the door is unlocked with a key, the alarm stays silent. All bets are off with an aftermarket alarm though.
Not with all vehicles. My 2006 Dodge Charger and 2012 Jeep Wrangler would both set off the alarm when opening the door with a dead key (ok, actually just using a no-chip spare key). As soon as the door opens, the horn starts blaring until you disable the alarm with a programmed key.
 #98927  by Dugan

whatevah wrote:
Guard_Duck wrote:Oh, and recoding the keys only works for the ignition, does nothing for the alarm, if it's factory. As long as the door is unlocked with a key, the alarm stays silent. All bets are off with an aftermarket alarm though.
Not with all vehicles. My 2006 Dodge Charger and 2012 Jeep Wrangler would both set off the alarm when opening the door with a dead key (ok, actually just using a no-chip spare key). As soon as the door opens, the horn starts blaring until you disable the alarm with a programmed key.

How does a valet key work then. Are they coded as well?
 #98931  by whatevah

Yes, otherwise it'll kill power to the motor after a few seconds (depending on vehicle, maybe not even start). But, if you have a cheap aftermarket remote start, many of those disable the ignition security system, so a chip-less key could still drive the vehicle.

Valet keys don't do anything special in most vehicles. Sometimes they won't fit the trunk, my parents had a valet key like that in the early 1990s. Higher end cars will limit the horsepower, speed, etc... I guess if a newer vehicle comes with a key specifically intended for valet use, it'll have some sort of extra feature. I know my brothers $48k 2013 Charger didn't have one. Maybe a BMW or a Mercedes... those tend to have more sophisticated computers.
 #98936  by Dugan

whatevah wrote:Yes, otherwise it'll kill power to the motor after a few seconds (depending on vehicle, maybe not even start). But, if you have a cheap aftermarket remote start, many of those disable the ignition security system, so a chip-less key could still drive the vehicle.

Valet keys don't do anything special in most vehicles. Sometimes they won't fit the trunk, my parents had a valet key like that in the early 1990s. Higher end cars will limit the horsepower, speed, etc... I guess if a newer vehicle comes with a key specifically intended for valet use, it'll have some sort of extra feature. I know my brothers $48k 2013 Charger didn't have one. Maybe a BMW or a Mercedes... those tend to have more sophisticated computers.
my 2012 Civic came with one.. first ever new car.. I was like what the hell is a valet key...
 #98968  by Boots

For now, just get a new key and key cylinders for the doors, perhaps from a junkyard. Leave the ignition alone. You'll need two keys, one for ignition and one for the doors, but this might be the cheapest way.

Later, when this blows over or you sell the car, you can put the original key cylinders in the doors and go back to the original one-key setup.
 #99425  by WPCatfish

Dugan wrote:
my 2012 Civic came with one.. first ever new car.. I was like what the hell is a valet key...
It's so the valet doesn't pull a 'Ferris Bueller' in your Civic.
 #99434  by Guard_Duck

Valet key usually unlocks the drivers door, and starts the car. Not the trunk or glove compartment. Some of the newer cars do limit the speed to 30mph or less, but the older ones don't. I've seen valet keys as early as 95, dodge had them for the Neon.
 #99439  by ScreamingSilence

You have a video of him right? Post it or go old school and make a few flyers to hang in your area. I understand being worried about retaliation but how many nights can you go without sleep being worried it'll happen again? A neighbor recognizing him and you doing most of the police's job will surely fix the problem