If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #98869  by laxplayer2

Put a bear trap or snare on the floor board. I am sure he will not be hard to find that way. Seriously, booby trap it. Yes, there is the other side of retaliation or some type of liability . Those are the hard choices we all have to make. I do not envy your situation.
 #98870  by Dugan

laxplayer2 wrote:Put a bear trap or snare on the floor board. I am sure he will not be hard to find that way. Seriously, booby trap it. Yes, there is the other side of retaliation or some type of liability . Those are the hard choices we all have to make. I do not envy your situation.
I can see the headline... thief suing homeowner for mutilation injuries...It has happened in past and will continue too.... His mom will prob say hes a good boy and was trying to detail the car for them.

Dead men tell no tales.
 #98871  by ptlion

yup, unfortunately, if a burglar gets hurt on your property, they'll likely try to sue and there's a good chance they'll win. There was the guy who "baited" potential burglars, shot and killed them and lost his "Stand your ground" case.
 #98873  by Dugan

Or the guy who was trying to break into a home while the home owners were gone. fell through skylight into garage was locked there for so many days and lived off dog food... homeowners found him when they came home.. he won like 700k or some stupid amount.
 #98874  by Owen

It's too bad there isn't a way to have the car lock him in. Then he's there when the police show up. Or some way to UV dye him so you have a way to ID him later. Maybe a wet sponge in a shallow pan on the seat? there have got to be some pranks that you could re-purpose for this effort.
 #98875  by Surface Dragon

Camp out in the back seat or disconnect the battery or remove some fuses from the car.

You can put UV reactive paint/goo stuff under the door handle or rig up some other way similar to the squirting flower clown gag so that it squirts him when he opens the door or sits on the seat.

Or make something similar to an airsoft claymore mine and fill it with UV reactive goo/powder.
http://m.wikihow.com/Make-an-Airsoft-Claymore-Mine

http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-ma ... -airsoft-/
 #98885  by Roach

Do not disconnect the battery, that will do more harm than good in this case.

Contact a dealership, they might be able to reprogram the keys, that should render the missing key inop to start your vehicle. He can still get in the door, but the car alarm will go off.
 #98886  by astro_wanabe

Roach wrote:Do not disconnect the battery, that will do more harm than good in this case.

Contact a dealership, they might be able to reprogram the keys, that should render the missing key inop to start your vehicle. He can still get in the door, but the car alarm will go off.
He mentioned in the OP that he has already done this.
 #98888  by Guard_Duck

Even with the keys reprogrammed, the thief can still get in the cars and unlock the steering column and the shifter. Doesn't need to start the car, can just push it away.

What kind of car is it? I have a friend who is a locksmith, and maybe able to get it rekeyed cheaper than the stealer ship.
 #98905  by stephpd

Guard_Duck wrote:Even with the keys reprogrammed, the thief can still get in the cars and unlock the steering column and the shifter. Doesn't need to start the car, can just push it away.

What kind of car is it? I have a friend who is a locksmith, and maybe able to get it rekeyed cheaper than the stealer ship.
^^^^^^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It may not be cheap but re keying or changing the locks seems very doable and will keep him from having a key that works in the door. Not that this would keep him from breaking a window but it's fine for helping with the need to feel sercure.