If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #90676  by spillanej

Your friends the gangbangers most likely got involved in whatever criminal activity got you shot at. Their testimony would not be admissible, or seen as plausible when the good guy has a good criminal defense attorney. Also providing proof of criminal history of gang members is enough to discredit their story.

Im no lawyer but always opt for a jury... its easier to convince 8 percent (one juror can save you life in prison if youre lucky) of a group normal people than 100 percent of a judge.
 #90677  by spillanej

Boots wrote:
spillanej wrote:... Not really.. if one has no witnesses.. no one does. ....
That's an interesting statement!

Bad guys love to hang in groups, so it might be just your word against several of them.

My recommendation is to not take chances. Make sure you're the first one to contact the cops.
Hearsay is inapplicable in court, which is why his family's word is not good enough to pursue charges on the motorcyclist.
Why do you refer to his daughters' testimony as "hearsay"? They were in the truck with him.
Also in my experience I have learned that family and friends usually are not even heard as witnesses to a defense, only witnesses for the victim. They tend to lie for some reason.
 #90678  by Boots

spillanej wrote:Because technically they were involved. An eye witness is a 3rd party, the guy in t he bmw behind you, not the people in your car.
No matter where they are, the more people that can corroborate your story the better. And, their testimony is first-person, not hearsay.
 #90687  by spillanej

Boots wrote:
spillanej wrote:Because technically they were involved. An eye witness is a 3rd party, the guy in t he bmw behind you, not the people in your car.
No matter where they are, the more people that can corroborate your story the better. And, their testimony is first-person, not hearsay.
I doubt your power fine sir or madam. It is treated as such very often from what ive seen.
 #90692  by bmel17

spillanej wrote:
I doubt your power fine sir or madam. It is treated as such very often from what ive seen.
So what do you do in the court system?