If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #107369  by Untoten

I don't post that much but....

I had to go to the bank today and deposit money into my account. I've had an account at DFCU for 7-8 years. I went to the branch in Dover on N. DuPont Highway and I was open carrying as normal.

I noticed the no firearms sign walking in but as they have no force of law I didn't think much of it. I stood in line and got called up to a teller without a problem. I said good day to her and asked her how she was doing and told her why I was there. We deposited my money and everything no problem, I told her to a have a nice day and started walking away. She asked me if I needed a receipt as I walking away, and I told her yes as I had forgotten to grab one. She told me it would take a minute because she needed authorization. I was suspicious about that but I just smiled and told her okay that's fine as I'm not in a rush.

As I was waiting an older man, that I'm assuming was the manager, walked up and told me I couldn't have my firearm in here. Everyone in the bank that wasn't looking already begins staring. I asked him if he was asking me to leave the bank. He again repeated that as this was a business and a bank I wasn't allowed to have my firearm in here. I told him that the sign outside had no force of law but if he was asking me to leave I would. He looked dumbfounded when I said the sign had no force of law and just again said this was a business and I couldn't have my firearm but I could finish what I was doing before I left. By that time my receipt had magically printed and appeared on the counter next to me so I told him I was already done, grabbed it, told him to have a nice day and walked out the door. I'm always courteous when carrying even if I don't agree with whomever..I'm considering changing banks but we'll see.

Might not be word for word what happened but I was slightly caught off guard since I've never had a problem carrying or had someone come up to me and ask me to leave. It's been about three years since I've started. Guess there's a first time for everything though. :?
 #107371  by Untoten

myopicvisionary wrote:I always OC in numerous WSFS branches with never a problem.
I've never had a problem until now.

According to DFCU "the law states that federally insured buildings are an exemption to the open carry law." :roll:
 #107378  by Boots

Untoten wrote:... I told him that the sign outside had no force of law but if he was asking me to leave I would. He looked dumbfounded when I said the sign had no force of law and just again said this was a business and I couldn't have my firearm but I could finish what I was doing before I left. ....
In other words, "Yes, I saw the sign you posted on your private property and decided to ignore it."

How's that for OC community relations? True the sign has no force of law and the manager is wrong, but I don't think your response was helpful.
 #107379  by Untoten

Boots wrote:
Untoten wrote:... I told him that the sign outside had no force of law but if he was asking me to leave I would. He looked dumbfounded when I said the sign had no force of law and just again said this was a business and I couldn't have my firearm but I could finish what I was doing before I left. ....
In other words, "Yes, I saw the sign you posted on your private property and decided to ignore it."

How's that for OC community relations? True the sign has no force of law and the manager is wrong, but I don't think your response was helpful.
It was my first time dealing with someone that had an issue with it, I didn't expect it go smoothly. It's fine for me to go back and nitpick what I said now and I wish I had said somethings differently, but I can't change it. I was still courteous the entire time and I left without a problem.

If your problem is me ignoring the signs and carrying regardless, I don't know what to tell you.
 #107381  by Boots

Untoten wrote:... If your problem is me ignoring the signs and carrying regardless, I don't know what to tell you.
It was your attitude. You told the manager flat out that you saw the sign and chose to ignore it. You were on private property and plainly told him that you don't respect his rights. That said, why should he respect yours?

It's one thing to not see a sign and then politely leave when asked, but it's quite another to announce you saw the sign, have no respect for it, and claim you did so because "it has no force of law." In other states it does have the force of law and we don't need to create enemies should the issue of "force of law" regarding signs ever come up in the future here in DE.
 #107383  by GatorDude

There is no "exemption" for federally-insured banks vis-a-vis firearms. It is not a federal building for purposes of no firearms laws.

And if there actually was one, the sign would have cited it. Ever walk into a federal building where firearms are not permitted. The United States Code section is cited on the sign and usually along with the penalties for violating it.
 #107392  by Hawkeye

Untoten wrote:According to DFCU "the law states that federally insured buildings are an exemption to the open carry law." :roll:
I have had problems with DFCU in the past as well. As for their claim about being an exception, the best that I could find was they do not qualify as a federal facility unless they have federal employees working there.
18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(g)As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
Their federally insured line is a bunch of crap. That guy might not have known that though. He could have just been repeating what his cooperate bigwigs tell him. Oh yea....I almost forgot....IANAL.