If you have received communication from specific stores, malls, towns and cities regarding their firearms policies, good or bad, post them here.
 #19380  by DMac

For those who may have doubts about the OC friendliness of the beach towns of southern Delaware, perhaps the following may help. I've been a resident here for over a year now and have not had any problem OC-ing in Lewes, Rehoboth Beach or Dewey Beach- restaurants, shops, stores (big and small), no problems. I was once asked by a convenience store clerk if I had a permit to carry, but he was mostly just curious. I took the opportunity to educate him about DELOC.

I should add as a disclaimer that it is possible that I may have the advantage that most people just assume that I'm a LEO. I've been told that I "have that look." Also, I've been carrying for many years, so it seems extremely natural to me. (Actually, I don't think I walk straight if I'm not carrying.) Additionally, I have the added confidence of having retired law enforcement credentials. If necessary, I would not hesitate to show them. Thankfully however, thus far it has not been necessary.

I hope that this might be a help to anyone who has been reluctant to open carry in this area.
Last edited by DMac on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #19381  by dave_in_delaware

Well, most of us don't have any "LEO credentials," whether current or retired. Plus, I remember reading over on OCDO about a guy who was OCing on the boardwalk at Rehoboth and got seriously detained, etc.... which makes me not want to try to OC down there.

Well, that, and I don't get down that way anyway, other than for business via the company I work for, and if that's the case I can't have weapons anyway. :(

but thanks for the review. It at least sounds not as bad as I thought it was down there....
 #19382  by radnor

dave_in_delaware wrote:Well, most of us don't have any "LEO credentials," whether current or retired. Plus, I remember reading over on OCDO about a guy who was OCing on the boardwalk at Rehoboth and got seriously detained, etc.... which makes me not want to try to OC down there.
Now your showing your age (that was a while ago). Bad thing, I remember reading it too.....
 #19389  by DMac

If my experience is in any way representative, the beach towns of Delaware appear to be OC friendly. I too read about a couple of negative experiences, but I have not personally found any negativity in either area law enforcement, or citizenry. That's why I took the time to post.

I want to dispel the rumors that the beach towns are not OC friendly. But if they were not OC friendly, wouldn't that be even more reason to want to OC in the area? Isn't that the way to help educate any police or citizens that are not familiar with our right to OC?
 #19401  by dave_in_delaware

radnor wrote:Now your showing your age (that was a while ago). Bad thing, I remember reading it too.....
Heh. I never claimed to be a young gun on this forum. ;)
DMac wrote:... but I have not personally found any negativity in either area law enforcement, or citizenry. That's why I took the time to post.

I want to dispel the rumors that the beach towns are not OC friendly. But if they were not OC friendly, wouldn't that be even more reason to want to OC in the area? Isn't that the way to help educate any police or citizens that are not familiar with our right to OC?
I'm glad you did post about it. Thanks.

Yes, if those towns were "negative" about it, then more people OCing might make those towns change their ways of thinking....

Keep up the good work!!!
 #20050  by DMac

FYI- Since my last post on this subject, I've OC'd on the boardwalk, beach and in downtown Rehoboth Beach multiple times with no problems to report.
 #20054  by kennelboy

I have only been on this forum for a couple of days now but I am getting to where I would like to OC but, I will need to go look for a holster or two before I do that. The holsters I have are good for CC but no lock system so I guess my OC days will wait for additional equipment.

Thanks for the beach report, it is good to hear about places other than NCC. Although it is fun to read about my old stomping grounds and those who OC there like, the Pike Creek, Ogletown and Prices Corner areas. My concern at the beach would be the young seasonal employees who might be trying to gather points for "doing their job". Perhaps I am wrong and just skeptical. :o
 #20079  by DMac

Your welcome Kennelboy! And welcome to DOC! I hope that you can get out soon and exercise your second amendment right.
 #20082  by stephpd

I remember that not to long ago, when we were first getting started, that the reviews were favorable for slower DE but some thought that there would be problems in New Castle County.

But that didn't stop anyone here from carrying and we've proven that it's accepted pretty much throughout the state.

Sure there will always be an incident here and there, but that shouldn't be used to stop us from our rightful carrying.
 #20086  by kennelboy

I was extremely comfortable with CC in CT since I never left home without something and sometimes up to 3 (hip, shoulder, ankle) ;) in order to cover all positions while opening a safe in Bridgeport, so the OC will take some getting used to once I locate a holster for my Astra A80, or my Springfield 1911A1, or my Ruger Security Six 2-3/4". Any suggestions for locating a level 2 holster for any or all of these would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave