If you're applying for your CCDW and wish to track your progress or, if you have questions about applying for a Delaware CCDW, post here.
 #6272  by MrCoolDale

But what about transporting it out in the open? ie, the seat next to me. Or, will I still need to unload it and lock it up? I'm just curious about it, it's nothing I plan on doing until I get the LTCF.

I agree Jim. I have no plans of carrying in Pa at all without my out-of-state LTCF. Unfortunately, my gf lives in Pa, so I'm there quite often. I hate disarming for those occasions. Then, whenever we head into De straight from her place, I'm still without my sidearm.
 #6274  by Wynder

LordJim wrote:A LCTF is REQUIRED to carry openly or concealed in Philadelphia.
+1.
 #6339  by stephpd

Let me try breaking it down this way. There is no reciprocity between DE and PA. Neither states license will work in the other state.

DE- open carry;legal except in Dover-- no license required
CCDW; covers the concealment of all things considered a Deadly weapon
in a car; openly on dash or seat w/o a CCDW, concealed with a CCDW is concealed.

PA-- open carry; legal except in Philly unless you have a LTCF--everywhere else on license required.
LTCF; covers only handguns, required for having a loaded handgun in a vehicle, it's concidered carry and not transporting. That includes open or concealed.

Transporting guns is a different thing all together. The laws for both states are also different.
 #6342  by Wynder

stephpd wrote:DE-covers the concealment of all things considered a Deadly weapon
in a car; openly on dash or seat w/o a CCDW, concealed with a CCDW is concealed.
Long guns must be unloaded. Condition of handguns is not at issue.

PA--LTCF; covers only handguns, required for having a loaded handgun in a vehicle, it's concidered carry and not transporting. That includes open or concealed.[/quote]

Condition of the pistol is not at issue -- doesn't matter if the pistol is loaded or unloaded.
 #6394  by George

Wynder wrote:
stephpd wrote:PA--LTCF; covers only handguns, required for having a loaded handgun in a vehicle, it's concidered carry and not transporting. That includes open or concealed.
Not quite true! any licence to carry concealed from ANY state will allow you to carry loaded in your car in PA

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
 #35624  by T3Dice

FYI,

I am interested in the "New" photo card PA LTCF for renewal. So, I called Centre County sheriff and asked if the mail in version is on the new card. They said they are not set up for that yet and will still only issue the paper version as in the past.

So, speaking to my Dad (Chester Co. resident). He just redid his LTCF and went directly to the Sheriff's office in West Chester, with all forms in hand, they took his picture and three weeks later mailed him the New card. He says it looks similar to the PA drivers license.

I'm going to do the same this week and see if they will do this for a Non-Resident PA LTCF.

I'll update this post after.
 #35655  by mrjam2jab

T3Dice wrote:FYI,

I am interested in the "New" photo card PA LTCF for renewal. So, I called Centre County sheriff and asked if the mail in version is on the new card. They said they are not set up for that yet and will still only issue the paper version as in the past.

So, speaking to my Dad (Chester Co. resident). He just redid his LTCF and went directly to the Sheriff's office in West Chester, with all forms in hand, they took his picture and three weeks later mailed him the New card. He says it looks similar to the PA drivers license.

I'm going to do the same this week and see if they will do this for a Non-Resident PA LTCF.

I'll update this post after.
Chester County
Pennsylvania law requires the Sheriff of Chester County to process all applications for a license to carry firearms.

Licenses are issued to all those who qualify, based on a background investigation done by the Sheriff's Office through the Pennsylvania Instant Check system (PIC). Once an application for license to carry is filed, the Sheriff has 45 days in which to do the investigation and notify the applicant. The license is valid for 5 years. The Sheriff has the ability to revoke the license at anytime for misuse.

All applicants are required to have a valid Pennsylvania Drivers License or ID and must pay a fee of $20.00 (cash only) at the time of application is submitted. 2 color passport sized photos are required with application.
By law, a non-res can apply to any sheriff and that sheriff Shall Issue to that non-res unless applicant is prohibited. Its just hard to find a sheriff that follows that law.

Take 2 pictures with you. Their website has been changed in the last 30 days. They were charging $46 for the LTCF...which is $21 more than allowed by statute. There are a couple folks causing a stir to get the fees back to where they belong. Now, according the the Chester website, they are charging $5 LESS than they should be.
 #37173  by T3Dice

Just to update.

Called Chester Co. Sheriff today. They said to renew a non-resident PA LTCF, you must send it to the same place your original (expired) was issued. "....we do not give out new permits to non-resident's"

I explained that this is not a new permit, it is a renewal. "....then you have to talk to Centre Co. and do what they suggest."

I mentioned that I have spoken to them and they are not set up to issue the newer version of the PA LTCF on the card, they are only issuing the older paper version. "....can't help you"

To me.... this sounds like BS!

May be worth a trip to West Chester in person and talk to the Sheriff instead of the clerk.

I'll update.
 #37183  by Boots

T3Dice wrote:Just to update.

Called Chester Co. Sheriff today. They said to renew a non-resident PA LTCF, you must send it to the same place your original (expired) was issued. ...

I explained that ... it is a renewal. ....

....can't help you"

To me.... this sounds like BS!

May be worth a trip to West Chester in person and talk to the Sheriff instead of the clerk.
I think you'd be wasting your time. They already told you they won't process your renewal application.

Perhaps you don't understand; Sheriffs have a certain amount of discretion in issuing permits and that scenario is not unusual.

However, there is a sheriff that has no problems with non-residents and will follow PA law to issue NR permits. I suggest you send the renewal to Centre County and get your permit by mail, usually within a week. I think it's good to support a sheriff that works well with non-residents.
 #37185  by GatorDude

Boots wrote:
T3Dice wrote:
I think you'd be wasting your time. They already told you they won't process your renewal application.

Perhaps you don't understand; Sheriffs have a certain amount of discretion in issuing permits and that scenario is not unusual.

However, there is a sheriff that has no problems with non-residents and will follow PA law to issue NR permits. I suggest you send the renewal to Centre County and get your permit by mail, usually within a week. I think it's good to support a sheriff that works well with non-residents.
+1. Just go through Centre County Sheriff since he will issue your permit as long as you legally qualify for it without any added BS.