You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #76274  by chrisleduc1

Well, today I purchased a Blackhawk SERPA. Ive owned a S&W Sigma .40 for a few years now and decided that based upon the continuing increase of violent crime in the area I need to be responsible to protect myself and my fiance by OC'ing. So Ive been wearing the paddle platform around the house today to get used to it. Im not sure where the first public stop will be but once I go out, Ill update.

Since I do not have a CC permit, Im liking the paddle style that allows me to remove the holster when traveling in the car without having to take off my belt first! Im assuming this is how everyone else does it?
 #76276  by Mirlen

chrisleduc1 wrote:
Since I do not have a CC permit, Im liking the paddle style that allows me to remove the holster when traveling in the car without having to take off my belt first! Im assuming this is how everyone else does it?
I keep mine in the holster on my belt for short around town drives. 3:30 works about right in my car. For long drives I have a holster screwed on to my center console by the cup holders.
 #76279  by chrisleduc1

Mirlen wrote: I keep mine in the holster on my belt for short around town drives. 3:30 works about right in my car. For long drives I have a holster screwed on to my center console by the cup holders.
You would run the risk of being considered "concealed" by doing this, no?

I've spent quite a few hours on here and it seems like there is no absolutely best way to not be concealed, but the 2 suggestions I keep seeing is either on the passenger seat (maybe clipped to seatbelt) or on the dash in some fashion?

Im wondering if I should buy a second holster to screw to my dash/center console somewhere...
 #76281  by Mirlen

Sorry yes, that would require your CCDW. .. I mean...errr... I was just testing you! :)

For OC I usually placed it on my dash as it stuck rather well in the drivers side corner.
 #76282  by chrisleduc1

Mirlen wrote:Sorry yes, that would require your CCDW. .. I mean...errr... I was just testing you! :)

For OC I usually placed it on my dash as it stuck rather well in the drivers side corner.
I see you're in good ol Kennett Square - they still allow guns up there ? :)
 #76285  by astro_wanabe

chrisleduc1 wrote:I've spent quite a few hours on here and it seems like there is no absolutely best way to not be concealed, but the 2 suggestions I keep seeing is either on the passenger seat (maybe clipped to seatbelt) or on the dash in some fashion?

Im wondering if I should buy a second holster to screw to my dash/center console somewhere...
since the dash and pax seat are the 2 preferred locations, and since I don't want my gun to go flying off the seat in a sudden stop/crash, I chose the dash for my vehicle. People put their guns in different places on the dash and secure them in different ways. For example you can secure a holster by high-temp velcro, screws, or one member actually secured his holster to a clipboard so there wasn't any modification to the dash itself.

Since you're using a Serpa you might want to consider the Quick Disconnect system. The QD System allows the holster to be disconnected from one location (belt/paddle mount for waist, MOLLE equipment mount, thigh rig mount, or a mount that you bolt down, amongst others) and re-connected to another location without ever taking the firearm out of the holster. Handling the firearm with the trigger gaurd constantly covered = safer than handling firearm with trigger gaurd exposed. You can see how I mounted mine here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5616&p=60549#p60549 As you can read in the subsequent posts on my thread, others would have preferred different mounting methods/locations, but this works for me.

Just note that the QD system adds a half inch or so between your gun and hip. Same weight of firearm + greater distance to fulcrum = higher torque, i.e. your gun feels heavier and becomes uncomfortable to carry slightly faster.
 #76297  by Mirlen

chrisleduc1 wrote:I see you're in good ol Kennett Square - they still allow guns up there ? :)
Hah! Ya kidding? We get all the NFA goodness up here! Silencers, SBRs, SBS, and full auto :)
 #76383  by chrisleduc1

Well after a couple days carrying around the house from wake-up until bed and practicing drawing from the holster etc, I finally stopped in to a public place of business today. I did some shopping at the Acme in the Lantana shopping center. I pushed the cart around gathering a few things and I did not notice any reactions. I wasn't specifically watching for each persons reaction either however - just went about my business. I was of course more aware of people passing by my strong side and I did wonder if I looked... odd for paying extra close attention to those coming near my side. Oh well, whatever. So an uneventful day.
 #76439  by cappilot06

chrisleduc1 wrote:Well after a couple days carrying around the house from wake-up until bed and practicing drawing from the holster etc, I finally stopped in to a public place of business today. I did some shopping at the Acme in the Lantana shopping center. I pushed the cart around gathering a few things and I did not notice any reactions. I wasn't specifically watching for each persons reaction either however - just went about my business. I was of course more aware of people passing by my strong side and I did wonder if I looked... odd for paying extra close attention to those coming near my side. Oh well, whatever. So an uneventful day.
Congrats on your first public OC experience!!! :applause: :applause:
 #76479  by chrisleduc1

cappilot06 wrote: Congrats on your first public OC experience!!! :applause: :applause:
Thank you.

Today I ventured into a Walgreens with no issues at all. No problems at the drive-up ATM either :)