You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #81326  by Tyre

I open carry a .357 Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" Barrel in my car. Is there a limit to the size of gun you can holster and walk around with? Is there a limit on the ammo I can have in it? Like do they have to be defence rounds or can I have what ever I would like. My last question is my house is about 1 block from the highway and on the other side of the highway is a school. Is it ok for me to take my daughter and wife for a walk and still open carry?
 #81328  by jslacker

No size limit here, you could OC an AR if you wanted to. As far as ammo you are free to carry what you like, but a lot here on these boards would suggest a HP round for daily carry, especially in the public where over penetration could be a concern.
 #81330  by MrCoolDale

The best way to look at it, in my opinion, goes something like this:
While there are no limits on the type of ammunition or firearm, and there are no caliber restrictions; what combination would be easiest to explain to a jury? The jury at your trial after you use your firearm in self defense will, most likely, be made up of people largely ignorant to the finer points of firearms. While 10mm is a fantastic self defense round, it'd be very easy for the prosecution to say you we're carrying a small cannon and you we're just waiting for a chance to kill someone. My suggestion is to carry a very common caliber such as 9mm, .40, or .45 Cal.

For these same reasons I also suggest carrying a bare bones pistol. A sig, glock, m&p, h&k... something fairly well known that isn't highly customized. While every firearm I own has a trigger job, I don't do much other work to my carry pistols. Using match grade sights, ported barrels, etc. can have a very similar effect.

While you and I know that these things don't make the pistol more deadly, an overzealous prosecution can make the case that you have these things to make you more efficient in your killing. We, on this forum, know the truth. How confident are you that the jury will be made up of people from here?

I, personally, carry a Sig Sauer P226 chambered in 9mm. While I own a P226 Mk 25 and a P226 Scorpion, for my carry its just a basic P226. You can carry nearly anything you want, this is just my take on it.
 #81331  by NormH3

My only question is why would you carry a Single Action only revolver? I like Ruger revolvers as well but would entertain the SP101 or GP100. As far as carrying near the school, currently the 1000 foot rule is a federal law and not a state law....I believe. Obviously you might raise some eyebrows.
 #81332  by MrCoolDale

Carry what you shoot best with. If that happens to be a single action, so be it. I personally find little-to-none tactical advantage to a single action revolver, but if that's what he's comfortable with, then it's a great choice and certainly better than nothing.

I do see an advantage to a single action revolver in the idea that they almost NEVER fail.
 #81333  by NormH3

MrCoolDale wrote:Carry what you shoot best with. If that happens to be a single action, so be it. I personally find little-to-none tactical advantage to a single action revolver, but if that's what he's comfortable with, then it's a great choice and certainly better than nothing.

I do see an advantage to a single action revolver in the idea that they almost NEVER fail.
I appreciate your insight, but the question was directed to him.
 #81334  by Tyre

Thank all of you. I will keep the 1000ft rule in mind. My choice to carry the .357 is simple. At 10, 20, 30 and 40 yards I can put all 6 rounds into a 9 inch circle. I am also a believer in that if you are going to use it get good with it so it only takes 1 shot. But in all the safety of my 5 month old and my wife comes first.