You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #81423  by Bullpup

I recently had dinner with my family at Outback Steakhouse on Kirkwood Hwy in Newark, and open carried as usual. It was extremely crowded in the waiting area and I felt very uncomfortable with people practically touching me from all sides as we stood there waiting to be seated. I remained aware of my surroundings and kept my right arm hanging against my firearm, but I was still nervous having all those hands within reach of my gun.

Other than avoiding it, is there a good way to handle a crowded environment like this?

We only went to Outback because I got a coupon in the mail. Probably won't be back any time soon; the food was OK, but not worth the price or the wait.
 #81427  by sampson13

I'm thinkin as long as it's a good retention holster ya should be ok and also just being aware as you said. I'm suprised you didn't get invovlved in any good hearted coversations like the "are you an undercover officer" one or something similar. I've gotten that one a few times but it always leads to good informative discussion and a positive interaction that otherwise I wouldnt have had so I really enjoy OC and all that comes with it.
 #81429  by scampbell3

When you are in a crowed situation such as the one you were in, you will become hyper-aware. It is primary because in a crowed waiting lobby of a restaurant, the 'other' people are inside of what you consider your personal space. In situations such as these, I will look for an area to stand or sit so that my right side is somewhat protected (corner, or a location where the bulk of the people are in front of me). If that unfeasible, I will move my holster to the 2:00 o'clock position and place my right hand in my front pocket. This will keep my firearm under my arm and forward.

Chip
 #81431  by Bullpup

I carry in a Serpa, so I guess it's pretty secure. Still felt nervous, though (hyper-aware sounds better). I use the belt style, not a paddle, so I couldn't move it.

I've been OCing for a year now and have never been asked if I was a cop. It's funny how people have different experiences carrying in public...
 #81436  by photog

scampbell3 wrote:When you are in a crowed situation such as the one you were in, you will become hyper-aware. It is primary because in a crowed waiting lobby of a restaurant, the 'other' people are inside of what you consider your personal space. In situations such as these, I will look for an area to stand or sit so that my right side is somewhat protected (corner, or a location where the bulk of the people are in front of me). If that unfeasible, I will move my holster to the 2:00 o'clock position and place my right hand in my front pocket. This will keep my firearm under my arm and forward.

Chip

+1 .... Well stated Chip! :applause:
 #81441  by SR9

Just a question for the group. I have a CCW permit myself, but I never did much OC, except around my home property. My question is, how do you open carry in the winter? Do you wear a gun outside your coat, with a belt and holster on over your coat, or what?
I can see wearing a gun and holster on you hip or waist in the warm weather but when winter's cold comes and you put on a coat that covers the gun you are breaking the law, and carrying concealed with out a permit. I live south of Dover and never see anyone open carrying.
Comments please.
 #81443  by Mirlen

There are "duty" jackets that have side zippers to expose your firearm. They work decently. Check the usual tactical places, I think there are some by 5.11 and others...
 #81444  by chrisleduc1

[quote="SR9"]

I just pull my jacket up over the firearm and I have no problems. my jacket and firearm and holster and both black/grey so its all kinda blends together, but i just slight the jacket inbetween my side and my firearm.
Ive considered having a zipper sown into the side of the jacketso it can go down and around the sides but honestly the way I do it really does not bother me, I have no heat loss and its still a good visual deterrent, though my jacket does camo it a bit...

I can take a pic if you want to see...
 #81446  by Guard_Duck

I wear sweatshirts all winter, as it rarely gets that cold for me, having grown up in Minnesota. I just tuck the sweatshirt behind my holster.
 #81447  by myopicvisionary

Most of my coats are not that long enough to cause a problem.