You may start a topic here for an Open Carry Log -- a place to relay places and any events which may occur.
 #81999  by davidtor

cslade454 wrote:I think one of the most important places to OC is at home. I like answering the door with a gun everyone can see. Yard work, mowing the lawn, raking the leaves. Not so much shoveling snow though. I think it is important to always be armed when at home. Most people are home every day so they can OC everyday.
Well I wouldn't consider that open carrying because you are in your home. I open carry everywhere I go unless it is a gun free zone( like Christiana mall) hell I even oc to the movies and alot of the dsp are fine with me doing it. ( I tend to see the same cops there when I go so they know me) but carrying in your house is private property u can conceal all day in ur house without breaking a law lol. I usually keep a handgun next to me where ever I am in the house just in case someone tries to break in.
 #82000  by David

davidtor wrote:.... but carrying in your house is private property u can conceal all day in ur house without breaking a law lol. I usually keep a handgun next to me where ever I am in the house just in case someone tries to break in.
Not so. Delaware law for concealing a deadly weapon makes no distinction regarding location, including inside your home.
 #82010  by Lacky

David wrote:
davidtor wrote:.... but carrying in your house is private property u can conceal all day in ur house without breaking a law lol. I usually keep a handgun next to me where ever I am in the house just in case someone tries to break in.
Not so. Delaware law for concealing a deadly weapon makes no distinction regarding location, including inside your home.

How is that ever going to matter? If someone comes into my home to see if I'm concealing a weapon illegally, I've got much bigger problems, and so do they. If I've pulled it out and am using it, it's no longer concealed, and again, the other guy has much bigger problems.
 #82020  by David

Lacky wrote:How is that ever going to matter? If someone comes into my home to see if I'm concealing a weapon illegally, I've got much bigger problems, and so do they. If I've pulled it out and am using it, it's no longer concealed, and again, the other guy has much bigger problems.

I don't know if will ever matter. That wasn't the point. The statement made was that you can conceal carry in your home without breaking the law. This is not correct. There are many members and visitors to this board who may take this statement as fact and believe that they are carrying in accordance with Delaware law when in fact, the are committing a Class D felony.

From DE Code: http://www.delcode.delaware.gov/title11 ... shtml#1441

§ 1442. Carrying a concealed deadly weapon; class G felony; class D felony.

A person is guilty of carrying a concealed deadly weapon when the person carries concealed a deadly weapon upon or about the person without a license to do so as provided by § 1441 of this title.

Carrying a concealed deadly weapon is a class G felony, unless the deadly weapon is a firearm, in which case it is a class D felony.

It shall be a defense that the defendant has been issued an otherwise valid license to carry a concealed deadly weapon pursuant to terms of § 1441 of this title, where:

(1) The license has expired,

(2) The person had applied for renewal of said license within the allotted time frame prior to expiration of the license, and

(3) The offense is alleged to have occurred while the application for renewal of said license was pending before the court.
 #82031  by astro_wanabe

There is a DE Supreme Court decision that found you could CC in your own home under certain conditions, but it seemed very vague to me and to my knowledge hasn't been fleshed out by the courts yet, so I would personally NOT recommend CCing anywhere w/o license. The court could always reverse itself, and you'd be S.O.L.
 #82053  by cslade454

There was a case last year where a man was charged with carrying a concealed weapon in his home. He had a knife with a blade longer than 3.5 inches. The Delaware supreme court ruled in his favor. So I guess you can carry a Knife with a blade longer that 3.5 inch concealed in your home but NOT a firearm without a permit. Tom had a excellent write up in the DSSA news about it last year.
 #82054  by cslade454

Lacky wrote:
David wrote:

How is that ever going to matter? If someone comes into my home to see if I'm concealing a weapon illegally, I've got much bigger problems, and so do they. If I've pulled it out and am using it, it's no longer concealed, and again, the other guy has much bigger problems.
Unless that someone is a LEO and they check you for a weapon. Thats how most get arrested. Please gun owner need to obey law. We cant demand current laws be enforced before new laws are made if we don't obey the laws ourselves.